Gun Control

You're comparing the crime rate of two countries where one of them dwarfs the size of the other. Of course we have more crime than you. We've got like 14x more people than you do. Obviously we're gonna have more crime.
I was expecting that and so...

You see, America has a much higher gun homicide rate per a 10,000 people regardless of the population differences between the two. Basically, you have a much higher chance of being killed by a gun in America then most other western countries.

Anyway, read this again. It has a chart where the example countries have the same population as America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/u...ath-rates-the-us-is-in-a-different-world.html

Conveniently leaves out what the majority of those deaths are exactly. Do you think if we banned guns that gang violence would just dissapear? That Gangbangers and other criminals would just say "Oh shit, I'm not allowed to have this? Oh shit, I wouldn't want to break the law or anything!"? That street violence is just gonna grind to a halt because guns are illegal even though the majority of guns used in a crime are gotton illegally anyway?

Conveniently leaves out what the majority of those deaths are exactly. Do you think if we banned guns that gang violence would just dissapear? That Gangbangers and other criminals would just say "Oh shit, I'm not allowed to have this? Oh shit, I wouldn't want to break the law or anything!"?
Mind adding more detail when you said that? It wouldn't, but it would make getting a gun harder... or perhaps not. It really depends on the skill of the US law enforcement and ability in stopping illegal gun trafficking. Also, keep in mind that guns are banned in Australia and criminals can get their guns illegally yet regardless the average of gun homicide is still really low.

That makes no sense, because Australia has strict gun laws and YET it has a lot less gun related homicides in comparison to America

Either say homicides or don't say anything at all. Stating gun related homicides instead of homicides in general is just plain dishonest.

Places that have their gun rights stripped away usually have a lot less gun murders (there are exceptions, such as Mexico which suffers from cartels, corruption and crime) then the US, even thou

One, say murders or not, two, if you didn't notice, the US is the final stop on the chain of cartels, drugs and crime going northwards through the Americas.

Either say homicides or don't say anything at all. Stating gun related homicides instead of homicides in general is just plain dishonest.
Our (Australia's) homicide rate is 1.3, compared to the United State's homicide rate of 5.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Australia/United-States/Crime
the US is the final stop on the chain of cartels, drugs and crime going northwards through the Americas.
When was the last cartel shoot out in the US? On what scale is the drug war being carried out there? How many deaths on American soil have been directly caused by Mexican cartels?
No... The point is that enough people know how to make both liquor and guns.
Liquor is made of considerably accessible ingredients, guns are made out of harder to access materials, excluding those shitty homemade guns some criminals use, those wouldn't be nearly as effective as factory made weapons though.
They also don't allow weapons in most prison populations, but they are apparently not in short supply to them.
Shivs aren't the most difficult things to make. Prisoners are in prison after all, they can just spend their time sharpening an item, it's not as though they have have anything else to do.

Shivs are easy to make, hell I could probably make shiv out of something in the room I'm sat in now. You can make a shiv out of a toothbrush with a sharp pointed end.
91ba5b10776103.560eb2f07e1fe.jpg
db057ff02f0df6e545db718d9ea5b23b.jpg
Liquor is made of considerably accessible ingredients, guns are made out of harder to access materials, excluding those shitty homemade guns some criminals use, those wouldn't be nearly as effective as factory made weapons though.
"We can just make the guns ourselves" is a common fallacy amongst pro gun people. You cant just grab some scrap and make a pistol. Proper guns are built by professionals, and professionals only, with training, experience and machines.

The main problem is use of low quality materials to build these improvised firearms.
Here are some examples:
The use of weak tubing means that it is more dangerous to the shooter than the target, the badly fitting smoothbore barrel provides no accuracy and is likely to burst upon firing.
Lower quality alloys used in makeshift guns mean that they will break with the pressures of a bullet being fired.

Those are just two examples. Without a professional, machines and a factory facility, there is a 99.99% chance that your gun will break and hurt/maim/kill you. So I'm afraid the black market of makeshift guns argument is not an argument.

Thing is, if you feel that you need a gun to protect your self, is that a good sign for society as a whole? I am not even talking about taking away the right to bear arms. Just the feeling that you ABSOLUTELY NEED guns to protect your self. Like, that kinda tells me that you don't trust your authorities like the police and the government to protect you from harm.
I would be terrified by that thought.

Conveniently leaves out what the majority of those deaths are exactly. Do you think if we banned guns that gang violence would just dissapear? That Gangbangers and other criminals would just say "Oh shit, I'm not allowed to have this? Oh shit, I wouldn't want to break the law or anything!"? That street violence is just gonna grind to a halt because guns are illegal even though the majority of guns used in a crime are gotton illegally anyway?
I think no one here denies that America has also a problem with police brutality and gang viollence. Even if you removed ALL of the weapons, you would still see murder, theft etc.

The thing is, that we can't even agree - or so it seems - that guns can create a culture that well, can be a problem for some if it is taken to far. Can we at least agree that fanatics exist on all sides? Be it pro or anti gun.

I mean I am not even saying that you should remove all the weapons. But hell, how comes that many of the shooters in the US are white male teenagers? If you can't talk about that issue, how are you supposed to even get close to a possible solution?

Last edited:
Every time I encounter this discussion I have to remind people that guns are tools just like anything else man made. What people need to look at is human nature inherent in the culture, and species. Sure you can stop selling firearms all together, but that will not stop someone from getting one. In countries were personal firearms are banned, those who wish to can still acquire one.

To be honest this philosophical debate is rather childish if observed in an objective perspective. Debates like these produce nothing more than temporary bandages to issues that stem from ingrained core beliefs of people. If only to assuage some fearful group who thinks they're entitled with rights they don't actually have.

Bear in mind the issue here is not to debate utility of such tools, but their potential use. Yes some are designed to snuff out human life, but many of them are actually designed for hunting, or sport. From my perspective it seems to me that people fear the power of others in this context. "He has a weapon and I don't, I no longer feel safe because they can hurt me" When you break down the line of reasoning its obvious this is a ignorant and immature response to the topic.

At the same time people need to come to terms that humans over all are often capable of terrible and horrific things. This is a fact of life, not some horror film or news story, a fact of life. People are both good and evil (Depending on your moral outlook, if you have morals); therefore I don't understand why people are surprised when someone kills another. From a gardening tool to a firearm or to anything that can or will be weaponize'd to be used to kill another human being.

I am a consenting adult, I own firearms, and I do not covet nor fear others for their choice of weaponry or use of it. If those who cannot handle the harsh reality of the world then I strongly suggest they adapt. Because I have seen far to often those of the weaker constitution resort to insane legal footwork just to give themselves additional rights to make themselves "better" than those they fear.

Firearms are not the issue, humans are. The debate to pin blame on a scape-goat will make no real progress.

That doesn't stop us from refusing Iran the permission to own nuclear weapons.
Are we really going to discuss semantics over faction oriented populations? In that case why are we still separated by countries and tribes?

Nuclear weapons are indeed a tool designed for destruction, but in this case there are cultural differences that would make allowing them to have ease of access to such an item unwise as it would destabilize the already hostile climate in the region. Nuclear weapons are not as accesable as a firearm is and therefore are not subject to the stipulations as firearms.

Using nuclear weapons in a debate of this topic is like saying Hitler at the start of a debate about how bad something is.

I am pretty sure that even most of the gun lovers, see those people among their ranks as nutjobs, but they defend them, because that's what people do.
Partly true. But hunters (or so called "fudds" with old wooden stocked manually operated rifles) are notorious for not giving a shit about sport shooters and self-defense.

But yes, largely, we band together. Why? Because we've already tried being reasonable and applying "common sense". The only result is that every 10 to 15 years, the left wing asks for more & more & more "common sense" restrictions. From full auto bans, to suppressor bans, to magazine capacity restrictions, to minimum weapon size ordnances. It gets stricter and stricter and stricter until there's nothing left.
That's why there's so much push back. We've been through this many times before. And it's only getting worse and worse. Often for things which are entirely irrelevant. And most often in knee jerk reactions aimed to exploit emotional reactions to a large tragedy. The fact you're "doing something" is more important than doing something which is actually effective. Because tightening gun laws (as is common in the EU) is so much easier than actually tackling the source of the violence. It doesn't help at all, but at least you can tell your voters you got weapon X & Y off the streets!

In the end, some things can never be regained. Like Cast Doctrine or the right to protect your personal posessions with violence. I can shoot someone that threatens me, but if someone knocks out my window and steals my computer from under my nose, I'm not even allowed to attempt to grapple him. I'm supposed to let him walk out with my belongings. How is that reasonable?

Once you lose these rights, they are virtually never returned. And when they are, it's usually by revolution or conquest.

Right now, in New Orleans, there is an organization offering free firearm lessons to the public. It's even advertised on commercial radio here.
I give shooting initiations and tutor novice shooters for free.
I like sharing my passion for the shooting sports.

I like Ice-T, still listen to his songs. However, it's really interesting that the guy who wrote the song "Cop Killer" is now quoted by the NRA-GOP'ers. :lol:
It's hilarious. I was at GMM 2015 and when he tried to get the public to shout about killing cops it was mostly silent where I was standing. Everyone just shrugged it off. I guess that's Belgium for you.

Do I have to KEEP SAYING IT?

That makes no sense, because Australia has strict gun laws and YET it has a lot less gun related homicides in comparison to America, which has a high amount of gun ownership. Places that have their gun rights stripped away usually have a lot less gun murders (there are exceptions, such as Mexico which suffers from cartels, corruption and crime) then the US, even though they have no 'protection'.
And do we need to retort each time that for every single example that proves you right, we have an example which proves you wrong?
Each side is cherry picking statistics and studies which suit their point of view...

"We can just make the guns ourselves" is a common fallacy amongst pro gun people. You cant just grab some scrap and make a pistol. Proper guns are built by professionals, and professionals only, with training, experience and machines.
You know nothing of gun smithing. While yes, you will not be building any olympic grade target pistols, you'll have a very easy time making double barreled shotguns (a simple trip to home depot suffices), submachine guns (do you even know what a STEN gun is and what made it so popular? well, there's even simpler guns out there that don't even need to be as complicated as a STEN), revolvers (cylinder timing is the hardest) and pistols (single shot & semi auto).

Anyone with a decently equiped garage can make this. The hardest part is rifling (but considering we made rifles in the 16th century, it's not that damn hard either) and munition (single shot is easy enough, but reliable ammo for use in semi automatic weapons without using existing parts and components is fairly hard).

What many people like yourself don't even seem to realize is that if you do end up making a gun, it's easier to make it fully automatic than it is to make it semi automatic. This is due to sear complexity in semi automatic or burst fire. Fully automatic is just press & release. So while you might see less guns on the streets, you'll see more spray & pray guns which cause more collateral damage.

And sure, guns as you discuss aren't going to last you a lifetime, but you forget that guns of this type used in crime are meant to use once and dumped.

If Polish and Czech resistance forces succeeded in producing THOUSANDS of submachine guns INSIDE heavily populated cities (Cracow, Warsaw,...) constantly patrolled by German forces, do you really think we can stop organized crime from doing the same thing?
Maybe you should take a look at Philippine home gunsmiths...

Either way, it's an entirely moot point. The amount of legally owned firearms which account for crimes in european countries is almost negligible. Criminals will find their guns. As long as there is sufficient demand, there will be supply.

That doesn't stop us from refusing Iran the permission to own nuclear weapons.
Which is highly ironic. If you built your nuclear weapons quickly (or covertly) you get to join the club of the "mighty" countries around the world who are allowed to make nuclear policies for the entire world. Yet, if you're not part of that select group of "friends" from the start, you cannot join.

One nuclear armed group uses bullying and intimidation to make sure their little powerful group is restricted to the countries they like. If a young upstart were able to build his own, he could threaten the other group with violence as well, and suddenly becomes an accepted member of the little secret society.

Nukes tend to be a defense thing in our society. Nukes allow for Mutually Assured Destruction (or at least "fear of damages too large to contemplate war over" in case of an upstart nation).

If Ghadaffi had nuclear capability, do you think France, Britain and USA would have tried deposing him as they did?
If Saddam really had a vast arsenal of effective Weapons of Mass Destruction within effective range of Israel and other western allies, do you really think the USA would have invaded?
The cold hard truth is that nukes for Iran are a form of self-defense from foreign influence. Sure it does not prevent meddling or even war entirely, but it does ensure everyone understands the stakes in the game. The upstart nation has gained the right to self-determination. It's a sad state of affairs that countries need to go to such lengths to prevent foreign meddling.

If we carry on the analogy, the nuclear armed nations are "the world police", whereas the non-nuclear states are mere citizens (maybe even "subjects" if you will). Once the subject acquires nukes or other WMDs (firearms), he becomes a free citizen. He has the means to cause harm to those who wish to hurt him. Sure, he does not really stand a chance in open conflict, but chances of him being abused and repressed are far lower than would otherwise be the case.

Which scenario is the preferred one, entirely depends on your morals and world view.

Care to elaborate? Because it's unclear what you're trying to say with that docu.

Kinda lazy of me to just throw the whole thing out there, really.

There's a part about how tests on newborn children found that men are naturally drawn to mechanical objects. Another explanation for why men like guns.

This makes no sense.

The US has much more gun owners and yet much more gun related homicides then Australia, which has a lot less gun owners. Either the problem lies at rampant gun ownership OR the large amount of nuts willing to kill others with guns, which shows a failure of the US government to try deter them.
Switzerland has much more gun owners yet less homicides per person than Australia. So it's clearly something else that America has and Australia doesn't that makes the difference.

Kinda lazy of me to just throw the whole thing out there, really.

There's a part about how tests on newborn children found that men are naturally drawn to mechanical objects. Another explanation for why men like guns.

These are my toys and not yours, get your own :)

America has high density population centers?

But yes, largely, we band together. Why? Because we've already tried being reasonable and applying "common sense". The only result is that every 10 to 15 years, the left wing asks for more & more & more "common sense" restrictions. From full auto bans, to suppressor bans, to magazine capacity restrictions, to minimum weapon size ordnances. It gets stricter and stricter and stricter until there's nothing left.
Don't think that I am attacking you or such. I am just playing the devils advocate, or well I hope I am :D. I like to imagine that things are simply not as black and white as either side says it is.

But I mean it is kinda hard to get usefull arguments out there when you greeted with images of someone storming a kindergarden or movie theater with an rifle killing a handfull of people.

Maybe there is not even a solution to this problem. It is clear that weapons are deeply rooted in to the society of America and the NRA is the loudest of all lobbies out there.

Are we really going to discuss semantics over faction oriented populations? In that case why are we still separated by countries and tribes?

Nuclear weapons are indeed a tool designed for destruction, but in this case there are cultural differences that would make allowing them to have ease of access to such an item unwise as it would destabilize the already hostile climate in the region. Nuclear weapons are not as accesable as a firearm is and therefore are not subject to the stipulations as firearms.

Using nuclear weapons in a debate of this topic is like saying Hitler at the start of a debate about how bad something is.
But it is an important question! Even if it sounds ridiculous at first. Look at what Sua wrote. Why should we take away the right of a nation like Iran to chose their means of defence? It seems far fetched, but the same argument that people hold for owning weapons as civilians, could be used on nations. As Sua said, what possible way could someone like Assad have to keep the US and their military at bay? As Mc Namara once said, what you need is empathy with the other side. Otherwise you will always make the same mistakes again. The funny thing is, that large companies also use this as argument for selling weapons, owning a weapon for self defence is a god given right. Or not? Sadam might be still in power if he had an nuclear arsenal. Who knows? That doesn't mean that I want to see such idiots with those kind of weapons! I am just trying to make a point.
Heh, things are never as simple as we think it is. Isn't it?

Switzerland has much more gun owners yet less homicides per person than Australia. So it's clearly something else that America has and Australia doesn't that makes the difference.
More prosperity? - I am just brainstorming. Switzerland is one of the richest nations by the way. I think when you compare the police brutality between Switzerland, Australia and the US you will get a much more clear picture of what's going wrong.

Last edited:
I feel what your putting down, but even when playing devil's advocate you must let sound logic prevail. The issue here does not span in scope for nuclear weapons. The debate is gun control, not bombs (bombs aren't guns).

Even then without guns people can still make bombs, and IED's to attack those they want. Look at the Middle East, I would know I was out there.

What we should be discussing is how to reduce fear of firearms, and educate the masses. Otherwise this cycle of ignorance will continue.

Back