Half-Life 3

Atomic Postman

Vault Archives Overseer
With the advent of Source 2's announcement and my own personal replay of the Half-Life series, I've been thinking a lot about the idea of Half-Life 3.

An opinion I see rather frequently on the Internet is that Half-Life 3 couldn't come out, the hype is too much and it will be like Duke Nukem Forever all over again.

My counter to that argument is that Duke Nukem Forever went through development hell, being passed from dev to dev, rebuilt and redesigned until it was a rushed hot mess with too many conflicting ideas. Half-Life 3 on the other hand has/is being developed by a single developer with a nearly spotless record and who have created numerous classics that have been etched into the history of Video Games forever. That's not even mentioning the fact that presumably it has been in development consistently for years (we know from leaked concept art that it was in development) and Valve has hinted/ said countless times that they're taking their time with Half-Life 3.

With that out of the way, I'm pretty confident in saying that I believe Valve could deliver us another amazing sequel with mind-blowing technology backing it.

I have several personal hopes/predictions for Half-Life 3:

- It will be technologically impressive, both graphically and on an engine scale. Source will once again be on top. (Stuff like excellent motion-capture and character movement. VR integration, improved physics.)
- It will be longer than Half-Life and Half-Life 2
-Conclusion to the series and plot

As for the plot, I don't really know what to expect.

We know that Gordon and Alyx are supposed to be heading northward to the ruins of the Borealis, where who knows what kind of technology awaits. With Eli's death by the Advisers, the Combine know pretty much everything about the Resistance and somewhat about the G-Man.

Speaking of the G-Man, I hope they keep him a mystery. I prefer him as this mysterious, eerie ethereal cosmic God being. There doesn't need to be an explanation.

So, NMA, tell me your hopes, predictions and opinions of the hypothetical Half-Life 3.

I feel like Gordon needs to take the fight to the aliens for once, possibly visiting where they come from. I loved the inter-dimensional segments in the original and it's expansions. We do need to understand more about G-Man in this one imo. Maybe not a full backstory reveal or anything, but some hint to his agenda, where he came from, something like that. I would like for Gordon to go through another portal coming out the other side into something completely unexpected for the series. Halflife 3 needs to really shake the series up.

What they have in store for us though is anyone's guess. I feel like the game has probably gone through multiple engines at this point as they flounder about trying to make a game that is truely innovative, like the first two Halflife games, Portal, and Team Fortress 2.

Don't you guys know Half-Life ended already?

qX7PNMx.png

Don't you guys know Half-Life ended already?

qX7PNMx.png

That's an interesting interpretation for sure. But I wouldn't say it's actually what is going on.

Episode 3 was planned and in early stages of development. Obviously something happened and it had to be delayed or perhaps they decided they wanted to go bigger.

All the hints provided by Valve and Gabe Newell point to the fact that Half-Life isn't done yet.

I also don't buy into this theory for several reasons. One of which being that the Combine don't need Portal technology and are clearly on Earth for ulterior motivations, likely conquering and absorption, as demonstrated by their previous conquests (Striders, Gunships,several other species and possibly even the Advisors have all been conquered by the Combine and turned into half-organic half-combinetech.). The Nihilianth wasn't their method of teleportation either, in fact it's implied the Nihilianth was running and hiding from the Combine, and they weren't even aware of Xen's presence. It's also true that Eli wasn't the only one with knowledge of teleportation, he didn't invent it, he didn't even work in that section of Black Mesa! Hell, Kleiner and Mossman probably knew as much if not more about teleportation than Eli.

Last edited:
Ummm.

Yeah there is a half-life 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like Gordon needs to take the fight to the aliens for once, possibly visiting where they come from. I loved the inter-dimensional segments in the original and it's expansions.

Careful what you wish for. I hope that Valve doesn't just re hash the xen segments from the original game without some serious re designing and re imagining, because I'll be the first one to admit that I was never really a fan of those tedious low gravity jumping puzzles (there's enough of them on Earth). Still, I've got faith that they'll make it right, because as AlphaPromethean pointed out, this is Valve we're talking about and they generally don't fuck things up *cough* unlike Bethesda *cough*

I don't see any solid details coming out about Half-Life 3 until 2016 at the earliest. I think 2015 has already been determined a year for showing off hardware like the Steam box, VR headset, Steam controller etc. while I get the feeling 2016 will be the year when we finally get some Valve games to try all this stuff out on.

Any thoughts as to whether or not we'll see an Opposing Force 2 in our lifetimes? Or at least some return of Shephard? I can see him making a return for Half-Life 3 as a supporting character, maybe taking the role of Barney (because IIRC Barney was nowhere to be seen in Ep2)

Also hoping that Valve recognizes gordog_frohman as a valid character and inserts him into the canon. Maybe gordog is the result of a teleporter experiment gone wrong?

Would a Half Life 3 be full of QTE's as per Modern standard for story driven shooters, or would it instead be an open world sandbox to follow into the other "NEXT GEN!!!!tm" titles?

Would a Half Life 3 be full of QTE's as per Modern standard for story driven shooters, or would it instead be an open world sandbox to follow into the other "NEXT GEN!!!!tm" titles?

Neither I guess.

I feel like Gordon needs to take the fight to the aliens for once, possibly visiting where they come from. I loved the inter-dimensional segments in the original and it's expansions.

Careful what you wish for. I hope that Valve doesn't just re hash the xen segments from the original game without some serious re designing and re imagining, because I'll be the first one to admit that I was never really a fan of those tedious low gravity jumping puzzles (there's enough of them on Earth). Still, I've got faith that they'll make it right, because as AlphaPromethean pointed out, this is Valve we're talking about and they generally don't fuck things up *cough* unlike Bethesda *cough*

I don't see any solid details coming out about Half-Life 3 until 2016 at the earliest. I think 2015 has already been determined a year for showing off hardware like the Steam box, VR headset, Steam controller etc. while I get the feeling 2016 will be the year when we finally get some Valve games to try all this stuff out on.

Any thoughts as to whether or not we'll see an Opposing Force 2 in our lifetimes? Or at least some return of Shephard? I can see him making a return for Half-Life 3 as a supporting character, maybe taking the role of Barney (because IIRC Barney was nowhere to be seen in Ep2)

Also hoping that Valve recognizes gordog_frohman as a valid character and inserts him into the canon. Maybe gordog is the result of a teleporter experiment gone wrong?

Well, Xen is not the home of the Combine, so everything's open.
As for gordog_frohman, well, Gordon Frohman is already a well known character and the "concerned citizen" who wrote letters to Dr. Breen, so that's pretty close :D

I doubt it.

Valve are a competent Dev, they know Half-Life works. They know they don't need to change it to sell.

The again Valve made an announcement with a hell of a lot of 3s on the date just to announce the engine like a bunch of Trolls. They might just do it to spite people.

The again Valve made an announcement with a hell of a lot of 3s on the date just to announce the engine like a bunch of Trolls. They might just do it to spite people.

They've done this kind of teasing before.

Everytime they claim it is a coincidence and not at all planned. Everytime I'm always convinced they're doing it just to fuck with everyone.

29s? Is that just hyperbole or are some series seriously reaching that high? I know there aren't any series NUMERICALLY that high, but if you were to tally them all up, I know the GTAs and REs are in the double digits...

Is there actually an instance of one series nearing the 30s?

Back