Hollywood latest mutilation work: King of Fighter the Movie.

zioburosky13

Vault Senior Citizen
Hollywood next move of pissing every geek nerd/dork/emo kid is doing a movie based on King Of Fighter.

Classic fighting game series King of Fighters is set to receive a grand Hollywood adaptation in the glorious tradition of Street Fighter and Dragonball.

The movie uses actors nobody has ever heard of, and in the best tradition of Hollywood dispenses with the game’s highly developed setting and atmosphere in favour of some story centring on mysterious multidimensional alien artefacts.

The extremely stylish 2D character designs are perhaps one of the major selling points of the series, so naturally Hollywood has discarded them. Their loss seems unlikely to be well received by fans, especially considering what they have been replaced with.

The movie is set for a 2010 release.

A screenshot of game Vs real-actor...
Holy cow, do they have that 'desperate need a paycheck' kinda look.

News source, in jap.
News Source, in Eng

Given the treatment of Street Fighter, DragonBall Evolution and Dead or Alive, anything Hollywood touch is gonna turn into a piece of gecko turd.

I don't expect to see Mai Shiranui played by real actor though. I mean, who has the eh, 'assets' to handle the role?
Maybe Jenna Jameson but she's not asian...... :ugly:

Eh. King of Fighters is a Street Fighter clone anyway. Are we really supposed to be upset about it being manhandled by Hollywood?

never heard of it, and the name sounds like a badly translated piece of shit, to be quite frank.

Well they've already done it to Street Fighter twice at this point.
I really don't see the point in raising a stink about game based movies anymore. Mostly they just suck and aren't worth your money.

Wasn't that some old SNK game that tried to compete with Street Fighter 2?

Man, they're really scratching the bottom of the barrel now.

WOW.

They are pretty desperate now.
KOF isnt well known...nor really popular, so i somehow doubt its chances.
And even if it makes profit, the likelyhood of it being decent are near zero.

I_eat_supermutants said:
Well they've already done it to Street Fighter twice at this point.
twice? i was only aware of the JC "Muscles from Brussels" Van Damme version...

can't really believe they'd make another after that piece of trash. :)

Yup. Made one..."something something chung li chronicles" I dunno. Didn't take interest because it's a video game movie and didn't really care too much. Just saw a few commercials for it.

How can you make a movie, based on some fighting game?

It's like making a movie about Tetris.

^ Because fighting games have stories that go with them, a storyline for each release, and a backstory for each character. Usually anyway. And yes, they usually suck in movie format.

But well, I'm not sure why Hollywood is trying all those anime and game adaptations, especially when they're not profitable in the US, and the audience outside US will not watch this shit anyway? Or, are they at a point where, like in "The Producers", they "can make more money with a flop than with a hit"??

Maybe the Hollywood try to piss off their Asian market since KOF is very popular at here. No arcade will be complete without having KOF in it.

Ah, KOF. I remember that game.

Next up: Metal Slug.

Wait... NOOOOOOOOO!

I can only hope this is the only SNK title Hollywood tries to do.

*Prays they don't use Crystallis next*

Wonder if Duke Nukem will be made. John Moore (the guy responsible for Max Payne) was suppose to direct it, but if Max Payne didn't sell well, then maybe not.

^ The problem with Max Payne movie, the only 3 things similar to the game were:

1. Set in wintertime NYC;
2. Had a dude named Max Payne;
3. Had people shooting stuff.

Seriously.

I dunno about Duke Nukem, didn't pay attention to the story, but it didn't seem like much. Max Payne's well-written game script was thoroughly fucked in the movie though.

funny how you guys talk about King of Fighters, as a second class game. It is a kind of famous game, at least in my circle of geek friends. There's lots of fans here in Brazil.

radiatedheinz said:
funny how you guys talk about King of Fighters, as a second class game. It is a kind of famous game, at least in my circle of geek friends. There's lots of fans here in Brazil.

King of Fighters is like soccer, it is huge everyone except the US. In Mexico we had a lot of tournaments and arcade cabinets.

radiatedheinz said:

Well, apparently most SNK consoles never made it to US, so very few games are actually known there, despite their being known and liked elsewhere.

Back