How did you discover Fallout ?

From a magazine's demo CD. I was about 10.

I didn't buy the full game right away, but I was so amazed by the character creation screen and the amount of things possible in such a short demo, that...

...some years later, I couldn't help but to think about that game from the demo CD (the disk was forever lost). I tried searching for it in the Internet without luck, until I saw it... it was the same game with the guy in the blue jumpsuit!

I thought I was such a fool for not've had it waaay before (:

I found the game in a clearance box at some store. bought fallout and about 10 other games for about 20 bucks didn't even play it until about two years after i bought it and ever since been in love with it

Summer-ish 2007 - I found this Fallout 1/2 Double Pack in a friends game collection, read the game descriptions, and asked him about it, to which he had very little to say as he had only played Fallout 1 for a little while when he first picked it up a few years before then. He mentioned the ability to shoot people and animals in the crotch, but had no other information for me. I asked him if I could borrow them, to which he said "sure, whatever" and now a year later they're still in my collection and on my hard drive, and he's never getting them back.

A friend of mine gave me a burnt copy of Fallout 2 when I was about 12, then I kept his copy, found another friend in the same complex who played it, and couldn't stop playing or talking about it for about a year. Kind of forgot about it for a couple of years, when I was browsing bargain bins at Future Shop (Canada's version of Best Buy) and saw the dual jewel case for 10 bucks, bought it, neither Fallout 1 or 2 have been uninstalled from my computer since, and that was about 5 years ago.

I was spending the summer in France in 1998, with a French family. They had a son about my age who bought Fallout and we started playing it together. I hadn't heard if it before that, so I was hoping the game wasn't only available in Europe. I bought it as soon as I got home.

I read news about it in gaming mag, it looked interesting so i tried demo and i loved it, it was more then ten years ago.

About six or seven years ago I had a friend who's mom bought him a dual pack containing FO and FO2. He was pigeontoed, and it hurt him to stand in the lunch line, so I stood in line and got his lunch for him (with his money of course) almost everyday for at least two months, the deal being that he would give me Fallout at the end of the school year. After beating it over fifty times, I decided to buy FO2 about three years ago. They are among the best RPG's ever, up there with DW1, DW3, and FF4.

I was hanging out with a friend at Fry's Electronics and saw FO1 on the shelf. This was back 2001 I guess. But it had the coolest looking helmet on the front of the box and I read the ratings, the description and all that. Y'know, I was (and still am) into the whole 'Post-Apocolyptic' idea (Mad Max, The Postman, etc.). So payed the $9.95+tax and loved it.
It pisseed my father off that I played it so much and he put my Fallout disk in the microwave!
What he didn't know, though, was that I had done the "Humongus Install"... Joke was kinda on him, eh?
About a year and a half later after I had moved (losing my computer in the process) I picked up the Duel-Jewel Fallout 1 & 2 at Walmart for the same price as I had originally paid for FO1!

yes we want to know... that is why the question is there in the first place.... so, who was it you killed to get the most excelent game ever?

Re: ...

Nightling said:
yes we want to know... that is why the question is there in the first place.... so, who was it you killed to get the most excelent game ever?
:cry: Oh the memories.

The truth is, I killed my own very self being. As I found it by finding out about fallout 3.

i was 18, just got done a day at work. while i was driving home i decided to make a stop off at a friends house, just to see what he was up too. I walked back in to his bed room, my friend only glanced up for a split second before focusing his undivided attention back toward the monitor. While looking frantic this is what he said " i just shot this guy in the groin and his kid threw a rock at me so i killed his whole family". I was like "WTF are you doing"? asking this while pulling another chair up to the computer desk. I watched dark humor meshed with grim overlaying waste lands, separated by cannibalism, mutations, and our big brother government. Even the turn based combat gave me a chance to go over the scenario in my head (like reading a book) my imagination made the moments even more gripping. like a junkie to the spoon i was shooting up Fallout. Then again those beautiful bastards at black isle whipped up a better batch of battery acid I needed pumped into my vain. Fallout 2! Then despair, when I heard the interplay Nazis couldn't fund black isle any more I about died inside. Remaining cocooned in my hope, that in time some wonderful person or persons would see this games beautiful potential, snatch it up and save it. Thank you Bethesda!

When I was an intern at Bethesda soft works I entered work and saw the poster for fallout 3 and about had a heart attack, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was hush hush so no one could tell me anything about the game but Pete Hines was in the building that day and he saw me looking at the poster with awe in my eyes. He approached me and asked if i was a fan. Wiping the drool from my chin i fumbled out a half assed response "uh huh" i said. He smiled and said "just wait, Fallout 3 is going to make oblivion look like Disney land. the he walked into the conference room. That was over a year ago. I got my October 28th fallout 3 reserved and I cant wait! Hope you guys are as excited as I am, We waited long enough...

My dad had it when I was younger, and I used to jump on and just run around. I never payed attention to the story or what I was supposed to be doing, I just thought it was funny that I could take drugs, have sex, and shoot everyone. (Still think so..:p)

I first played the fallout demo which came on a disc in a monthly gaming magazing I had picked up that month (didnt have a sub, forget the name of the mag) but I enjoyed the demo so much I was already fantasizing about alternative characters and plot points etc. I bought Fallout when the full game first came out. FO2 I bought somewhat later after it came out.

PsychoSniper said:
Simple 'nuff, tell the story of how U got the best RPG out there.

I'll tell mine in a little while, I allready wrote it but the fourm ate my damn post.

It was fairly hyped by gaming rags when it came out. I was anticipating its release ahead of time.

I was honestly miffed about the timer in FO1. I got so pissed the game was actually OVER when the time ran out. WTF? So what, my vault dies from dehydration? I don't care, I'm out exploring the world, it's not like I died just because I didn't find the stupid water chip.

I liked FO2 much more because of this. Also because you can find water chips everywhere... haha I still get a laugh thinking about that.

I was about ten years old when my brother gave me Fallout 1 and 2. It wasn't D.A.R.E that taught me to resist drugs, it was that damn Jet.
"Maybe I won't get addicted this ONE time..."

back in 2004, i lived in a boring island doing boring stuff. i bought a pc magazine wich came with fallout 1&2 cds. dunno why, i played fallout 2 first.
i hadnt played a cRPG before, but the resemblance to a PnP RPG, combined with the post apocalyptic theme, humour, and subtle political comment, got me hooked.
then i played fallout 1 and i've been playing ever since.

Back