How did you discover Fallout ?

Howdy, non-mutants!

After years and years of lurking in the shadows it's time to finally sign in and join the community.
I'm still glowing quite a bit and I think I have a mutated toe growing on my left foot, but I hope that's not too big of a problem.
Here's my story:

The year was 1997. Read a review of Fallout from a well respected finnish gaming magazine and was impressed.
I absolutely loved Wasteland on Commodore 64 so getting Fallout was the natural thing to do.

Hate to admit it, but my first copy of Fallout was a pirated one. Hey, I was a 15 year old kid who grew up with an Amiga - what else can you expect?
Anyway, I got the game, installed it, created a character and there I was - way beyond the point of no return. I was hopelessly addicted.
When Fallout 2 was released, I didn't have to read reviews. I bought it, loved it and played it almost religiously.

Today, over ten years later, I still play both Fallouts. I am currently playing Fallout 2 again with Killap's restoration patch and having as much fun as I had a decade ago.

my friend told me to, he was a mad RPG fan and I, being a strategy fan, wasn't intrested in them at all. but I'm more a bit of both now.

anyways, I created a character and since I have a diplomatic-way with things I made a speaker out of my character. I got pretty banged up in the temple because of my lack of combat skills. but after that I got waaay past my friend. I finished it 1 month earlier than him, and started to look for hidden places and secrets.

My Dad's friend Steve from his office use to give him awesome stuff from time to time. First Baulder's Gate, then he brought home Fallout and I snuck into it. I was like...10. No wait, 9.

Sumguy21 said:
4chan told me it was cool so I checked it out.

edit: they were right.
We need to have a talk...follow me into the back room. I need to show you the first two items on a list. Ever see the movie Fight Club?

A friend of mine gave me a pirated copy of Fallout 2 in 2002. I played it and said I didnt like it. I didnt even go past the temple. The next few days I got bored with my ps2 and broke out Fallout2 spent 3hrs or so playing and now Im a Fallout fanatic. LOL

as for me

when it first came out I was staying with my father for a couple months. He bought fallout 1 for his computer. I played once and never looked back.

my friend loved it and let me borrow it, now im addicted, i play everyday during my CAD (Computer Aided Design) class at school.

Hello all, long time lurker, Just decided to post this, because well, Most people would not have any idea what I was talking about. So I almost never get to share it.

How I found Fallout

So set the way back machine to the early 90s(Damn I am old). There was a lack of good crpgs at the time. So I asked my best friend to write me a game to play. He spent quite a bit of time working on it, but he never did finish it.

Several months later he saw that his favorite RPG was going to be used for a crpg that as going to be something of a sequel to Wasteland (Our favorite game). As a shot in the dark he sent his resume and a copy of the incomplete game he had been making me to Interplay to see if they might give him a job.

They called him up and did a face to face interview. From talking to him and because his code was solid they gave him a job. It was sad that he moved, but he was going to work on something awesome.

I did not get to hear from him for a while, but one day he called me and asked me for some lines that I used to say, Things that would identify me. That was not all that hard to do, I have lots of those. So I gave him a few, he had some already. End of phone call.

Much time passes.

So, my friend comes back home to visit and he is almost bouncing with excitement. "You have to check this out!" he said waving a disk around. So we do the mighty mega install, Character creation, all the vault stuff. The game ROCKED! Then off to Shady Sands to pick up the first NPC for the party.

You see it turns out that originally Fallout was going to only have the hero. No party. My friend did not like that and spent a good amount of time seeing if there was a way to make it so it could be a party based game. When he figured it out he made a test character and showed it to the bosses. They loved it, and the test character got kept in the game.

So I am playing and go to get the NPC with my friend sitting there almost bouncing. There the NPC is, ex-caravan guard, short, squat, big boots, leather jacket, mohawk. I laughed so hard I cried.

So that is the long drawn out story of how I found Fallout.

Aspirant
AKA Ian, yes that Ian.

Yes. that is what I am saying. Not just named, Personality was based off me to. The "Well then you don't matter either" line was totally the Punk that I was in those days. Sounds like a huge boast right? But I can back it up if needs be.

A bunch of the NPCs in Fallout were based and named after members of our college gaming group. The Storyteller of said group was none other than... Jess Heinig.

The list of NPCs that were taken from that group are.
Initiate Brenden of the Brotherhood of Steel
Ismarc the singer
Alex the Night watch Regulator
Patrick the Celt
And me of course.

Aspirant

In 1998 I was about 12 and my parents bought a new PC from Packard Bell. With it we got a tin box of games and one of them was 'Fallout', took me few months to consider installing it but when I did... it changed everything!

Well, I had a big friend when I was 13. I were always at his home, and one day, I entered his room, and he was playing Fallout 1. I then begun to watch him stealing some money of some people in Leather Armors. Then, a person caught him, and he killed the guy who caught him in one shot. Afterward, he quit the city, and went to another city, and said to me "ooh, too bad, my karma has dropped :/".
I fall in love at the same time.

But well, I dont know why, but he just uninstalled the game. Then, I almost forgot about the game.
Then, in 2002 I was walking around a Mall with my father, when I came across Fallout 2. I said "Hey dad! Please, buy me Fallout 2! I loved Fallout 1, I saw it when I was at Daniel's home!", and he said "No, I don't have money", and I said "please please please" and "Shut your mouth boy, I ain't going to buy nothing"
Two months after, at my birthday, he gave me Fallout 2. And since 2002, I never passed a year without spending at least 100 Hours playing Fallout.

Hello NMA community!

Well, when i was in army (back in 2000) during free time i used to talk about various games with my coleague who also like video-games. We talked about: Pirates(AMIGA version), UFO & X-COM and other...Then he mention to me one game under name Fallout for which he claimed that this game is simply fantastic. You can do whatever you want in this game and combat remind to UFO tactical strategy. Ok i finished with my days in army and one day after few years (maybe in 2002 or 3) i accidentally saw Fallout 1 CD case in one site, i remember what my coleague told me and i buy this game. Soon i buy Fallout 2. Althugh i only played Fallout 1 (i am more simulation player rather than RPG player, you know) my wife saw me how i playing (she is RPG player) and she start to play and finish both sequels more than few times. Even now she know to play this fantastic game. By my and my wifes opinion this is one of best if not best game ever produced. Fallout is really special game which is proven because even now here exists strong Fallout community.

Back in '99-2000ish I got my first machine and my friend down the street had what must have been an old P2 or something, barely enough to even run Fallout 2. I saw him play it a few times and he swore by it, that it was such an awesome game, but I couldn't get into the whole turn-based third-person-isometric 2D RPG game idea seeing as how I was raised on N64 and Counter-Strike.

As I watched him play I got my first taste of Fallout-style mechanics (you know, awesome dialogue, open-ended gameplay, brutal gore, weapons piled on weapons) and decided I had to try it out. The learning curve was HUGE for me and I must have started 10 times before I kept a character, but by then I was hooked. :crazy: I've played through F2 probably 15 times and still haven't gotten everything.

1997 saw me graduate high school and join the ranks of college freshmen. I'd like to tell you my classes were great and I did well in them. The truth is I never went to class because I was playing Fallout. I wish I could remember where I got the game.

When I was about 4 or 5 I was obsessed with watching my brother play PC games. I would sit right next to him and just watch him play the entire time. I watched him play through Baldur's Gate, X-COM, Planescape, Starcraft, Warcraft, etc. One day he was playing a new game, which I quickly discovered was Fallout 2. After a while, he left off to college, I found his old games and immediately popped in Fallout 2. I was only about 6 so not only was I being exposed to grotesque amounts of gore, language, and jokes I didn't get, but I basically taught myself how to play.

I did this for the next decade and I can safely say I've played for both games at least 100 times.

He also got me hooked on old graphic adventure games from the early 90s, I especially loved Gabriel Knight: The Sins of the Fathers. I recently got a hold of this game and played it through. Not only was the story engrossing and fun, but the game was extremely challenging. I highly recommend it if you can ever get a hold of it.

I believe I played the demo for Fallout, I think it was Fallout anyway it might have been the second, years back (99'?), and then about five years ago (03') a friend handed me a copy of Fallout 2. I've been hooked since.

story takes place around year 1999..i am a youngster who still plays with Legos, and i hear my cousin talk to me about Fallout. He tells me that the game is one of the best games he has ever played, and thinks that when i grow up (turn 16) i should play the game, if i could get a copy. Fast forward to 2005 and what do i see in local fleemarket ? a double game box with BOTH Fallouts, Fallout and Fallout 2 for 4$ or 2,5 euros ! That day i became addicted to the great Post-apocalyptic game series called Fallout. 5 days later i called my cousin and thanked him.

I discovered it through a friend. He was playing it on his computer when I came over to hang out, and I watched him over the shoulder (this is the first Fallout, mind, back in 98). I was pretty much hooked from the start, and borrowed the game disc to install on my computer at home. Also got myself a copy of the second game when it came out. Been playing them ever since, and have had them installed on just about every computer I've owned.

One weekend in 1997, taking a break in my university studies from doing nothing I drove to an electronics store and saw Fallout in that big brown box with a flap on a shelf. In 1997 RPG's were few, and one with a post apocalyptic theme with a cool screenshot of a radscorpion being attacked by a flamer on it really sold me. I bought the game right away, it was $49.95 Australian, a good price at the time for a new game too. What a great investment it was! Ahh the days of old when I could devote whole days to playing unlike now!

A couple years back I started lurking the RPG Codex. I hadn't really played many RPGs, or even many PC games, having only recently got a computer of my own, but the RPGs I had played I had enjoyed. Everyone there was going on about Fallout so I gave it a go, and at first the complete lack of handholding was too much for me, and I ignored it for a week. There was something about the setting though, the atmosphere, the style. I knew I would really like this game if I could work it out, and I knew I could work it out. So I gave it another try. I restarted a couple times due to gimping my characters (tagging shit like gambling and spreading my points too thinly), but I was enjoying myself. Then on my third (or fourth) try I realised I had done it, I was playing Fallout effectively and enjoying it. I beat it for the first time then, and have done so four times since. It really is love.

Back