How did you discover Fallout ?

When this series first started, I nearly quit several times due to bugs, so I understand completely. Was worth the angry nights and heavy drinking though.

I was at MICROPLAY and rented Fallout from them. Installed, played, loved it. I was still too young to get very far, but I always had fun loading up my brothers game and blowing everyone up.

Once I got older I went back to Fallout and played it through and couldnt help but think "Why is this the only good game for the PC?".

Yep. Good times.

Budget games a year or so after it F2 was released. £10 for both. Used to love RPG games, and post-apocalyptic stuff. Or maybe it was the price. F*ck knows.

Either way, played it solidly with a friend (not quite multiplayer as we know it today) and is actually the reason i use this online persona (me ste, him al, Steal) which was always our character's name... I was a big gamer, but the intricacy and sheer hilarity of the game i loved. There was nothing finer the first time i discovered how to get dogmeat, or chose bloody mess and a trait (sh*t, i almost said 'perk' then, F3's having a bad effect on me).

I still play the originals to this day, and my friend i used to play with never liked another game ever again (seriously, everythings 'sh*t' compared to fallout...)

I bought into Fallout 3 at a time when I was checking into origins of modern games (like Bioshock->SS2) so naturally I checked out the originals. F3's not coming in this house.

When I was in about 7th grade someone bought it for me. Cheap dual jewel Christmas present. I blew it off at first for Diablo 2 which I had also received that year. I ended up getting tired of Diablo 2 halfway through act 2 and tried Fallout. I loved it. Played it forever. Fallout 2 got destroyed by my sisters before I had a chance to even touch it so I repurchased them to get the second one. I played that for ages as well. I have about 5 relapses a year that last 2-4 weeks of Fallout 1 or 2 game play.

Why is it that everyones Fallout 2 (including mine) gets destroyed/mysteriously disappears?

Von Drunky said:
Why is it that everyones Fallout 2 (including mine) gets destroyed/mysteriously disappears?

I lost the front cover of my CD drive... My first copy was angrily spat out of it at my leg in pieces, actually cutting me.

Who said gaming wasn't dangerous and violent...

CriticalCheck said:
Karma. Who didn't play their first F1 character as a slimy jerk back?

First, second, third....who can keep count after awhile? Being a scumbag never does seem to get old, even my "good" characters go bad at some point. What starts out as savior of the wastes, a week later is the infamous village burning cattle rapist. It's the same scenario in almost every game I play too.

My half brother loaned his dual jewel to my other brother and when he got tired of it i decided to give it a try. I instantly fell in love with it. I was around twelve when i first discovered these gems and i attribute these games to my advanced reading level and profanity laden vocabulary. Discovering fallout 3 was not a happy experience, after witnessing the horrid ending i took to the internet and secured another copy (the previous discs had been lost to the sands of time) of fallout 1 and 2. It was like booting up super mario for the first time in 5 years, i felt what i imagine heroine attics feel when they shoot up. Pure euphoria. These are the greatest games ever made, and if you think any different i challenge you sir (or ma'am) to a duel.

Stealste said:
Von Drunky said:

I lost the front cover of my CD drive... My first copy was angrily spat out of it at my leg in pieces, actually cutting me.

Who said gaming wasn't dangerous and violent...

Upon extensive investigation and excessive drinking, it has been confirmed that the factory in which the Fallout 2 cds were being produced was place on top of a Indian Burial Ground

I discovered fallout 1 in 1998, when one gaming magazine that I used to read had some best off lists, and in the rpg list fallout was classified second, after diablo. I played the demo for some time, but didn't buy the full game, since I was 10 at the time and didn't have decent english skills to understand the game.

However, after 7 years, in 2005 a friend of mine that likes games talked about fallout and I brought the 2 games and beated both.

Hmm, I think the year was 1997, I was only 7 then, but I loved it from the start. I just couldn't belive the freedom it offered(even though it was the first Fallout and it had a time limit :P ). The first time I played a Russian version of it, even though I didn't understand a word, I still kept playing. Ahh and when I got my hands on Fallout 2, I was in heaven. Seriously the best f-ing game ever. The Fallout universe will never die....

Once I got older I went back to Fallout and played it through and couldnt help but think "Why is this the only good game for the PC?".

Same here. I can't even remember what kind of a character i must have played back then...all i remember is that some friend loaned to me and it took me months to finish them, i even remember using a dictionary some times since my knowledge of english wasn't complete...(now that i think about it...another good thing from fallout 1 and 2: they also served as english lessons...hehe), also i remembered i played fallout 2 first...love it so much i bugged my friend to find me the first one for quite a while until he did...

And YES, fallout 1 and 2 ARE the best RPG's ever...

I got FO2 when I was 13 (I'm 20 now), from a friend who brought it over to my house. I played it through, and started a second game the next day.

I only got a hold of FO1 a few months ago, and still haven't had a chance to play it. I like Tactics as a iso-tbs tactical game (I've never played Jagged Alliance, but I've heard it's superior in this regard), but I thought the canonical break with the West Coast Brotherhood was kind of lame (with the ghouls, sm's , deathclaws, and all).

Finally, I got FO3, and started a new game of FO2 the next day. (cross-my heart true)

I got into Fallout through Fallout 3, I liked F3 enough to save up some money and buy the first one. A few weeks ago I bought a copy of Fallout, I haven't stopped playing, I'm currently waiting for my copy of Fallout 2 to get to my house. (Amazon.com is amazing)

did I mention I usually HATE RPG's but Fallout had a great vibe to it so I couldn't help but love it.

by the way anyone here recommend Tactics?

Fallout 3.

Which i feel bad about cause i was heavy into PC gaming when Fallout 1 and 2 came out. I guess i just overlooked them back then.

My progression into Fallout was through games like Rebelstar Raiders and Laser Squad (yes the original speccy versions loaded by a squealing cassette).
Later some of the Ultimas - up to Underworld.
Then F2. European version and no patch. Invisible kids. Gecko ghouls going hostile. Car trunk bug. Skilldex black square. Hooked. Played over and over different ways.
Then F1. Shot Ian. Shot overseer. Played over and over different ways.
Then Tictacs. Post-apoc Laser Squad IMO. Played over and over different ways.
Waited. Waited. Started building Fallout mod using NWN1 d20 modern stuff.
Then F3. A few hours later: "That was it??!!!" Tried to play over as bad guy. No discernable difference. Fanmade mods so far mostly cosmetic - not enough to play it again. DLC stuff looks like worthless shit.
Joined NMA.

Im sorry you feel that way about F3. I love it.
Really cant figure out why people here treat it so poorly. Its a great game.

Back