If bethesda didnt have the fallout license

newbiewanderer

First time out of the vault
Do you think fallout could have gotten the treatment that for example planescape torment is getting ?
And wasteland.
Tides of numeria and wasteland 2 are too sequels that have tried to replicate the old games being either directs or spiritual successors.
AFAIK some of the people that worked on the original games (and the original fallout games as well) worked on these new kickstarter games coming out:
Pillars of eternity , wasteland 2 and tides of numeneria.
It would be very likely we would have gotten a TRUE fallout sequel in the style of the old games.
Post your thoughts below.

It wasn't much a vague hypothesis but things that were on the process to happen.

Black Isle, the devellopers of Fo2 were going to make Fallout 3 - Van Buren, while the new leadership of Interplay (after Brian Fargo left) shutted down the project at mid-develloppement to make a console POS.

When that new interplay decided to sell the IP, Bioware & Troïka tried to buy the IP, but were outbidden by Bethesda.

Troïka was made by the three main creators of the Fallout IP, and were devellopping a post-apocalyptic RPG without a name during that period. It is likely that it would have been the next Fallout, had they won the bid. A Fallout made by its creators would have very low chances of failure.

While Bioware lack some writting skills, they have some experience with RPG and are friend with Obsidian/Black Isles. They could have made an average/good rpg or called Obsidian for advives, or outright develloppement, as they pretty much asked for them to make a few of their own sequels. (not sure what would have happened after EA bought them)

So at least 3 Fallout sequel that were very possible at some point.
It just happened that Bethesda/Zenimax threw more money on the bid.

Although, other likely hypothesis would have been that Fargo would have not burned out and kept control of Interplay (he had refund 90% of his debt when he gave up to the investors pressure) OR that the new leadership of Interplay would have buried the IP instead of selling it, so another creator would have bought it at low price a few decades later to kickstarter the sequel.

Although, a Fallout sequel too early could have lessened the success of the Wasteland 2 kickstarter. The guy litterally made millions on the disapointement of Fallout 3. If Fallout 3 wasn't so shitty, Wasteland 2 kickstarter wouldn't have so much success and wouldn't have brought so much coverage to the kickstarter system. A coverage that benefitted other projets like Pillars, Torment etc...

I cross the fingers that they will be 1-2 good/average Fallout in the future (no matter how much time we have to wait), but i am totally into all those new good games that were made possible and more successfull because of Fallout 3 failure. Also, let's not forget that FoNV come from the same publisher than Fo3, so even that publisher can be redeemed sometime.

Last edited:
It wasn't much a vague hypothesis but things that were on the process to happen.

Black Isle, the devellopers of Fo2 were going to make Fallout 3 - Van Buren, while the new leadership of Interplay (after Brian Fargo left) shutted down the project at mid-develloppement to make a console POS.

When that new interplay decided to sell the IP, Bioware & Troïka tried to buy the IP, but were outbidden by Bethesda.

Troïka was made by the three main creators of the Fallout IP, and were devellopping a post-apocalyptic RPG without a name during that period. It is likely that it would have been the next Fallout, had they won the bid. A Fallout made by its creators would have very low chances of failure.

While Bioware lack some writting skills, they have some experience with RPG and are friend with Obsidian/Black Isles. They could have made an average/good rpg or called Obsidian for advives, or outright develloppement, as they pretty much asked for them to make a few of their own sequels. (not sure what would have happened after EA bought them)

So at least 3 Fallout sequel that were very possible at some point.
It just happened that Bethesda/Zenimax threw more money on the bid.

Although, other likely hypothesis would have been that Fargo would have not burned out and kept control of Interplay (he had refund 90% of his debt when he gave up to the investors pressure) OR that the new leadership of Interplay would have buried the IP instead of selling it, so another creator would have bought it at low price a few decades later to kickstarter the sequel.

Although, a Fallout sequel too early could have lessened the success of the Wasteland 2 kickstarter. The guy litterally made millions on the disapointement of Fallout 3. If Fallout 3 wasn't so shitty, Wasteland 2 kickstarter wouldn't have so much success and wouldn't have brought so much coverage to the kickstarter system. A coverage that benefitted other projets like Pillars, Torment etc...

I cross the fingers that they will be 1-2 good/average Fallout in the future (no matter how much time we have to wait), but i am totally into all those new good games that were made possible and more successfull because of Fallout 3 failure. Also, let's not forget that FoNV come from the same publisher than Fo3, so even that publisher can be redeemed sometime.

Pillars and wasteland 2 were pretty good for what I am told.
Its a pretty exciting time to be a fan of old school rpgs.
I liked fallout new vegas ALOT . The dialogue was much better than 3 .
More quests , less black and white decisions ( had tons of greys on moral decisions).
The quests had MASSIVE decision trees ( some of them at least).
Such a good game , story wise it made fallout 3 look shameful.

Had Troika bought the Fallout Franchise, we'd have seen a very well written product which relied more upon story telling than Fallout-Doom (see Bethesda's Fallout 3), or perhaps Troika's Fallout 3 would have resembled Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines which though buggy, would have made an interesting story telling experience and take on the Fallout Franchise.

we would have seen a new Fallout game, if not from a game developer than from kick starter.

Had Troika bought the Fallout Franchise, we'd have seen a very well written product which relied more upon story telling than Fallout-Doom (see Bethesda's Fallout 3), or perhaps Troika's Fallout 3 would have resembled Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines which though buggy, would have made an interesting story telling experience and take on the Fallout Franchise.

It most likely would have looked like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqQhwu1d64A

halhalbert.jpg

raider3.jpg

texture.jpg

If only things had worked out, and not been screwed up the way they were and still are.

If Bioware bought the franchise I'm sure we would have a lot of romance options, and a lot of heavy handed pandering to LGBT crowds. A Bisexual Ghoul called Raul is into a Mutant named Scarlet who can't procreate and they want a family - DRAMA!

No idea what would happen honestly (save for Bioware, because their 'story telling' is SOOOO unpredictable, right fellas?), what with the different timeline and all, but I will say this: Fallout would survive without Bethesda's hand, period. I always keep noticing people stating we should be thankful for Bethesda because 'if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have another fallout', and to them I scoff and laugh.

New Vegas would have been different if not made with Obsidian tied to Bethesda's leash; and forced to build upon FO3's gameplay.

Troika were in the race for the Fallout license, if I remember correctly. There was an interview with Avellone where he said they "were massively outbid" by Bethesda. So, yeah, Fallout 3 would have been something along the lines of a post-apocaliptic Neverwinter Nights. Which is what Troika's PA project looks like to me.
I'm sure it'd have been a million times better than both New Vegas and FO3, which both bore me to tears with their stupid combat system.

Compressed open worlds are NOT something Fallout needs.

Huh? I'm pretty sure Fallout 3 had very little to do with Wasteland 2's success.

A good part of the campaign success is linked to the population of players that were disapointed over Fallout franchise fate.
They wanted to play a game like Fallout and Fargo pretty well played with that playerbase feelings.
Considering Fallout 1-2 playerbase was bigger than WL1 playerbase, the success of the KS depended a lot on this.

Back