Is there nobody who enjoys both?!

Okay, looking back at Fallout 3, thanks to the points raised, I think it is safe to say that it most likely shouldn't not be considered the best Fallout game, though for what its worth, I still enjoyed my experience with it.
Despite this, I still feel that people (no-one in this thread) go a little over the top with what they say regarding Fallout 3. Alas what has done, has been done.
Fallout 4 is right around the corner and what I don't want is the same people who complain about Fallout 3 to complain - in as much sincerity and detail - about Fallout 4.
Enjoy it for what it's worth, an open world shooter (with what looks to be, a far greater combat system) with basic RPG elements.
It's not the end of the world. Don't take it too seriously, don't get so frustrated.

Why should we just "enjoy it"? If the product is trash, then it should be admonished!

"Why Can't you just ike things that I like? Why do you have your own personal standards!!!!!"

Basically....

Fallout 1, 2, and NV are a great trilogy. Since Obsidian is now trash and will probably never get hired by Beth ever again, it will probably stay that way. I just ignore the whole East Coast world and storyline and play those three in order.

But if you're saying "Does anyone enjoy both Interplay and Bethesda Fallout for the same reasons" I doubt anyone here would share that view.

Okay so what I gather is that people simply dislike Fallout 3.
What are the major aspects from this game that people find so intolerable?
I personally have to grudge against this game and think it pretty much goes level with New Vegas?

Even comparing it to NV, 3 falls incredibly short. Here's the condensed list of what has been discussed a million times. Fallout 3:

• Has shoddy characters that are not memorable
  • Has factions that make no sense
  • Has cut and dry morality that forces you to be either good or an asshole who eventually does good anyway
  • Has a world that is internally inconsistent and more style over substance
  • Everyone is an idiot
  • The story makes zero sense as do character motivations
  • The world emphasizes pre-war culture rather than the building of a new one
  • Character can become too powerful too quickly

3 did two things right in my opinion. One, it actually had a large amount of traps and mines. Two was the weapon degradation concept (not only does it make sense but it also helps balance the economy). Other than that there was nothing I particularly found was good about the game. It was my first one, and I quit a few hours into it from sheer boredom and frustration. I almost never got into Fallout due to 3.

For more detail look up the article "The Blistering Stupidity of Fallout 3" which goes into a bit of detail on all the negative aspects of the game.

Last edited:
Enjoy it for what it's worth, an open world shooter (with what looks to be, a far greater combat system) with basic RPG elements.

I love Fallout, but I hate shooters... so what am I supposed to do?

Well thats a tough one.
I see 3 options:
- Play the game
- Watch someone play the game (YT/Twitch)
- Ignore the game

I guess the best option would be to simply watch a let's play of it perhaps just to see what the games story/world plays out like, it seems the cheapest and easiest route.
I'm someone who is a fan of both the CRPG and shooter genre so its hard to get a perfect perspective... :(
Anyone else have any ideas?

Okay, looking back at Fallout 3, thanks to the points raised, I think it is safe to say that it most likely shouldn't not be considered the best Fallout game, though for what its worth, I still enjoyed my experience with it.
Despite this, I still feel that people (no-one in this thread) go a little over the top with what they say regarding Fallout 3. Alas what has done, has been done.
Fallout 4 is right around the corner and what I don't want is the same people who complain about Fallout 3 to complain - in as much sincerity and detail - about Fallout 4.
It's not the end of the world. Don't take it too seriously, don't get so frustrated.

Why should we just "enjoy it"? If the product is trash, then it should be admonished!

I didn't say you should enjoy it plain and simple, but just enjoy it for what its worth - meaning don't take it too seriously.

Maybe some people take games way too seriously. Fallout 3 was one of the greatest games I (NOTICE the "I") have ever played just because of the uniqueness and sheer size of it. No unique or memorable characters? Are you crazy the game is chalk full of them... Not to mention the DLCs were all in my opinion amazing. Sure it wasn't perfect but you will never find anything that is. Fallout 3 was fun and it was big. None of us could make something like it and if you're butt hurt about it maybe take the stick out. I don't understand the hate I grew up on the ps2 and the original xbox with Combat Evolved and Men of Valor so nearly any game for me is beautiful and fun maybe not my favorite but they're all great and took a lot of time and know how that i don't possess

this is like being a boy and getting a new bike but its light blue or pink and getting mad its girly... just be happy your not of the kids watching your families getting bombed :puppy-dog:

+edit+ also i assume we are all on pc's, so get freaking mods and the game becomes 10x better lol

I didn't say you should enjoy it plain and simple, but just enjoy it for what its worth - meaning don't take it too seriously.

The problem with that is the game attempts to take things seriously. How are we not supposed to?

Maybe some people take games way too seriously. Fallout 3 was one of the greatest games I (NOTICE the "I") have ever played just because of the uniqueness and sheer size of it. No unique or memorable characters? Are you crazy the game is chalk full of them... Not to mention the DLCs were all in my opinion amazing. Sure it wasn't perfect but you will never find anything that is. Fallout 3 was fun and it was big. None of us could make something like it and if you're butt hurt about it maybe take the stick out. I don't understand the hate I grew up on the ps2 and the original xbox with Combat Evolved and Men of Valor so nearly any game for me is beautiful and fun maybe not my favorite but they're all great and took a lot of time and know how that i don't possess

this is like being a boy and getting a new bike but its light blue or pink and getting mad its girly... just be happy your not of the kids watching your families getting bombed :puppy-dog:

+edit+ also i assume we are all on pc's, so get freaking mods and the game becomes 10x better lol

Name five characters from FO3, then describe them without talking about what they look like or the faction/race/job they belong to.

Last edited:

The problem with that is the game attempts to take things seriously. How are we not supposed to?

Fair enough, never really thought about it that way, guess I just went along with the ride and somewhat enjoyed it, thats what I intend to continue to do.
And please don't take that the wrong way and presume thats what I think everyone else should do (each to their own and all)
If anything you've helped me understand why people say/act the way they do regarding this subject, all comments perfectly justified, which is what I was looking for originally.

The "families getting bombed" was a rather weird comment. Judging by your photo, you may have been AD, RES or NG as an 11B?

Name five characters from FO3, then describe them without talking about what they look like or the faction/race/job they belong to.

Okay tough guy. All stair ten penny old man reminds me of the guy off the most famous man in the world commercials.l, also you blow up a town with a nuke... Dog meat obviously... Harold the tree man... fakes your super mutant buddy.. never forget Three dog, Lucas the megaton sheriff do all man one of my favorites ... need I name more? (Also posting from a phone if the text does not come out perfect)

Try again, read what I said "describe them without talking about what they look like or the faction/race/job they belong to."

Last edited:
To joe, Harold who's a tree mutant, Lucas simms the sheriff (one of my favorites), dog meat, fawkes, Allstair tenpenny.

Joe get real with yourself I'm not going to give you a book because you don't think the characters were good enough for you I named six and youll just have to live with that and move on

Also I read that the first time just didn't bother you can Google all of them theirs always many many more memorable characters

Last edited:

The "families getting bombed" was a rather weird comment. Judging by your photo, you may have been AD, RES or NG as an 11B?

No not affialted with any u.s. branch besides my family the photo is from Afghanistan 2006

Mentioned only because we take for granted that we can sit here and bitch about not having the perfect games while others are being beheaded bombed and gunned down non stop while also lacking in many cases adequate finances food water entertainment anything really

Last edited:
Joe get real with yourself I'm not going to give you a book because you don't think the characters were good enough for you I named six and youll just have to live with that and move on

Also I read that the first time just didn't bother you can Google all of them theirs always many many more memorable characters

You did not follow the guidelines I stipulated because you can't. The characters in Fallout 3 are so paper thin, its almost impossible

To joe, Harold who's a tree mutant, Lucas simms the sheriff (one of my favorites), dog meat, fawkes, Allstair tenpenny.

So, describe their character beyond their looks, Harold, do you even know his story? Does Lucas Simms have anything to him other than being a generic sherif? Does Dogmeat have any character beyond being a dog? Allistair Tenpenny,describe his role in the world and what made him interesting.

Fallout 3 was my first fallout, I tried playing the old ones and just died a lot lol

I like the modern ones better

Back