Is there nobody who enjoys both?!

To joe, Harold who's a tree mutant, Lucas simms the sheriff (one of my favorites), dog meat, fawkes, Allstair tenpenny.

So, describe their character beyond their looks, Harold, do you even know his story? Does Lucas Simms have anything to him other than being a generic sherif? Does Dogmeat have any character beyond being a dog? Allistair Tenpenny,describe his role in the world and what made him interesting.
Well, about Allistair Tempenny... let's see... he's old, he wears a red coat and has a sniper rifle. He's also really EVIL, because bombs towns - or even better, make random dudes bomb them - and hates ghoul. That's pretty much it, I suppose...

Last edited:
Okay Harold is in a garden of eden land with a cult following and guess what you see him in one of the earlier fallouts anyways the crazy people who worship him wear pretty funny outfits and believe he's like a tree god but he's just a dude who got all treed up and he begs for death and you can either kill him or not and if you kill him you'll get attacked by the tree cult . Tenpenny is lunatic in charge of a hotel in the middle of nowhere full of people who maybe describe them like the white glove in nv, they also refuse to let a local group of non feral ghouls into the hotel and you can go through mutpile scenarios here by killing the ghouls, killing the people, or getting both to live in the hotel but I think you gotta kill certain characters to achieve that. Dog meat is a companion character in which the community has always liked a lot for whatever reason (we get the dog again in fallout 4) I like it because I like to feel all Mad max while roaming the wasteland you find dog meat in the junkyard in the back and he can do a lot of tasks for you. Lucas simms is one i like because he reminds of the guy on true grit and you go through crazy stuff with the dicks at the tenpenny hotel trying to destroy megaton with a nuke and thats just one cool side quest of many , fawkes is a companion and I like him a lot because after killing many super mutants he's one that's actually on your side as long as you are considered a good person and he's one of the toughest followers and can carry a lot of stuff for you and again he's a smart mutant and he would not be allowed here

Okay giax? I get that something there pisses you off. Sorry its just a side quest with the dude and it is fun. Love the sarcasm.

Really? Because I fell asleep reading it. And I forgot them already.

Alright dude if you don't like what I have to say then why keep acting like your a kid with your I feel asleep bs. It's fine if this is a fallout game you don't like or enjoy. Also if you don't like them I don't care ive been asked me to be more in depth and I didn't ask for anything in return

The point joevonzombie was trying to make regarding character description is the stronger the character, the easier it is to rattle off said character's traits.

For instance Caesar from New Vegas: brilliant, charismatic, ruthless, stubborn, petty, flexible, cunning, eloquent, arrogant, etc.

Tenpenny from FO3: old, rich, and crazy... that's all I got, and at least two of those fail the criteria.

Also notice how the aforementioned Caesar has a decent mix of positive and negative qualities. Well-developed characters always have some things you like, as well as some things you don't like.

Last edited:
One character for my five. And I've played new Vegas and your just making stuff up brilliant, charismatic? A boss big boss guy whos supposed to be a important character who's gonna mess up the ncr? You can go into his camp and wipe him and everyone else out no problem. Where are you getting those traits from? He's an old crazy king/president. Don't get me wrong I really like new vegas it's the only fallout game I have right now. But your short listing him and and putting down a bunch of stuff for caesar

One character for my five. And I've played new Vegas and your just making stuff up brilliant, charismatic? A boss big boss guy whos supposed to be a important character who's gonna mess up the ncr? You can go into his camp and wipe him and everyone else out no problem. Where are you getting those traits from? He's an old crazy king/president. Don't get me wrong I really like new vegas it's the only fallout game I have right now. But your short listing him and and putting down a bunch of stuff for caesar

Those traits are accurate.

An 80-year-old Englishman turned American entrepreneur, the man who discovered the tower saw it as an opportunity to provide residents with a standard of living enjoyed by the affluent in the days before the nuclear Armageddon. A rich eccentric bored with life and looking for new challenges, Tenpenny enjoys sniping at Wasteland creatures, ghouls, and the occasional visitor from his suite atop Tenpenny Tower. He's a mad man who lives an extravagant life style during the Armageddon most everyone else in the fallout world are hard pressed to survive. Although he runs a hotel he's a man who keeps to himself and is remorseless in his actions.

Wily, answer me this, how is Tenpenny rich? How did he get from Great Britain to Washington after the Apocalypse? How does Tenpenny tower maintain it's status? How does he lead an extravagant life?

Also if you just wipe Caesar out and never talk to him.... how the fuck do you expect to get his traits? Do you want the game to magically transfer them to you if you don't put the effort into hearing the characters? Or do you only want stereotypes that you can define in a sentence?
1 to your 5?
Let's see:
Arcade Gannon: Cynical, Idealist, Sarcastic, self deprecating, smart, insecure, observant, opinionated, outspoken.
Raul: Sarcastic, Cynical, smart, old, Has a very rich history, suicidal, handy with tools, crackshot.
Cass: Alcoholic, Patriotic, Cynical, agressive, foul mouthed, idealistic.
Caesar: Charismatic, smart, hypocrite, flexible, educated, observant, cunning, ruthless.
Colonel Hsu: Experienced, great leader, Very empathic, patriotic, patient, reasonable.
Vulpes Inculta: Sneaky, cunning, charismatic, ruthless, very eager to play dirty, resourceful.
Joshua Graham: Conflicted, violent, repentant, a man of faith with all the good and bad that carries, charismatic, unflexible, stubborn.
Christine: Pideful, devoted to her cause, stubborn, resentful, smart, clausthrophobic, deadly.
Hell let's compare the Doges, Rex: Old, experienced, smart (By Roxie's account he is apparently a very well spoken and charismatic dog), hates rats and hats, perceptive, a relic of the old world.

I think it's important to distinguish between "this character had memorable things happen around them" and "this character is itself memorable." You can set a bland, boring character against the backdrop of something really interesting happening and people will remember that character mostly because they happened to be there when the thing happened, but that's not enough to actually make the character memorable. What's important about memorable or interesting characters is that they are such by virtue of their character, who they are and how they react to things, not merely for what it is that they do.

I think the major thing that differentiates characters from NV from characters from Fo3 is that the former was concerned with how their characters felt about the world they lived in whereas the latter was primarily concerned with what role the characters were supposed to serve in the plot. Bethesda writes characters that motivate certain developments in the plot, but they are rarely actually interesting beyond that role.

Back