Josh Sawyer interview at RPS

This is...only if you support the position of the people in the story? I played it and saw barbaric, broken people murdering each other while hiding behind religion. That's what I assumed I was meant to see, but I guess someone else might see wholesome Christian values in that. Maybe the sort of person who cheers when the soldiers in Full Metal Jacket execute a teenage girl...

I dunno, personally I never forgot that Joshua was an ex-Legion general, not a hero. Likeable or not, he's not on the moral high ground
You don't need to remember he's an ex Legate because Joshua hasn't forgotten. He knows what he did, he's open about it to you. His beliefs however allow him to carry on and attempt to be a better person. You as the player influence that at the end, it's a fairly important choice not just for Joshua but the entire Midwest. Convincing Joshua that his anger is his own anger, and not Gods. That if his belief system is true, the White Legs will be punished for eternity afterwards and he doesn't need to strike down Salt Upon Wounds. The other option turns him into a symbol that the Sorrows and Dead Horses use to become barbarians much like the White Legs were.

It's unfortunate that Joshua immediately executes the three captives before turning on the chieftain, as it lessens the message I feel. They also did a poor job with Daniel and his ending slides. I disagree about them hiding behind religion but to each their own.

I recall Chris even saying he wasn’t super involved in New Vegas and that his main contribution was the DLCs. (This was around the time that people believed there to be a big rivalry between the two for some reason, also Chris was working on Alpha Protocol shortly before FNV ramped up production). Heck Josh Gonzalez wrote Caesar, Mr. House, and came up with the entire idea of the strip families. Without that I don’t even know what New Vegas would be. Probably a completely different game. FNV was lightning in a bottle as I don’t think Chris or Gonzalez will ever return to Obsidian.
I think the original Fallout and Fallout New Vegas were both lightning in a bottle and we should be grateful something we care this much about had lightning strike in the same place twice.

Fallout was made by a person in the late 20s/early 30s who was just making engines while the majority of their coworkers worked on licensed near-guarantee hits and came up with something awesome among a small team that had almost no oversight until it was almost done, which was a blessing and a potential downfall but luckily they managed themselves well enough and made good design decisions. But it was almost a game about time travel and dinosaurs and whatnot then it was a GURPS game until Steve Jackson said they didn't want GURPS on this game. It could have been cancelled more than once easily and almost was, it could have been an entirely different game. The fact we got sequels after Brotherhood of Steel that people (not necessarily by old fans but by many people) enjoy. I'm not crazy about Bethesda's direction and decisions but it got us New Vegas and I prefer that so much more to Fallout 2. It's insane to think after Interplay screwing up everything and selling the license to someone else that New Vegas even got to be made and it got to have developers who were good and some who had previously worked on Fallout 2 and Van Buren and it all happened in 18 months and despite the technical issues was an amazingly made game.

I'm not shocked at all Chris says he was more involved with the DLCs than the main game. He was the project designer for the three that weren't Honest Hearts. For the main game and from memory, I know he worked on Ulysses (which was going to be a follower in the main game), Cass, wrote Lanius's lines, and I'm sure he did more minor characters too. I know Gonzalez wrote the main story, pretty much, but I remember reading it was based on Avellone's premise of being shot in the head and being dug out of your grave.

Still, I don't think either are necessary for a Fallout game to written well. But I do understand why many fans would prefer it. There are many capable people that could write for these games. They just would need to align with what we want and expect from the game ourselves for us to really appreciate it I think. And I think that's been a big issue with the discourse around media in general. If you're not the target audience and you have expectations that aren't even being trying to be met, of course you're going to be disappointed.

I think the original Fallout and Fallout New Vegas were both lightning in a bottle and we should be grateful something we care this much about had lightning strike in the same place twice.

Quite honestly, you could say the same about most '90s classic games. There are very few high concept video game series that are consistently good. There's probably something to be said about how the late '90s was itself a lightning in a bottle, the tech was there to make a timeless game (not that there weren't timeless games from earlier, they just often don't age as well in terms of presentation or playability), there was still a lot of innovation happening because genre conventions and mechanics weren't set in stone yet, there were still a lot of hobbyist developers who didn't cater to the mass market, the economics were there that you can crank out a good number of titles before going bankrupt / being snapped up by an EA.

Quite honestly, you could say the same about most '90s classic games. There are very few high concept video game series that are consistently good. There's probably something to be said about how the late '90s was itself a lightning in a bottle, the tech was there to make a timeless game (not that there weren't timeless games from earlier, they just often don't age as well in terms of presentation or playability), there was still a lot of innovation happening because genre conventions and mechanics weren't set in stone yet, there were still a lot of hobbyist developers who didn't cater to the mass market, the economics were there that you can crank out a good number of titles before going bankrupt / being snapped up by an EA.
Pretty much fully agree. I don't think things really "age" but I know that's not really a popular stance to take. I like to point to the original System Shock. Play it without the enhanced mods today and you'll probably say wow these controls are really fucking clunky. The funny thing is there were reviews of that game saying that when it came out. Our expectations have definitely shifted and the increasingly large digital storefronts we have access to also plays a role in this if you ask me. Wasteland 1 feels like it was designed with the idea that you might waste time on skills or finding solutions that would require a lot of time investment and you had to look up certain sections of the game in the manual (which yeah was some sort of antipiracy measure I assume). But the fact that you could end up fucking up characters you've spent time leveling up probably doesn't sting as bad if this is the only game you play for the next few months. But now, you have Steam, GOG, itch, Epic, Origin, and all the console's online stores. And a lot of those have sales and free games. So they are trying to entice you to ignore the thousands of other things and focus on them, for a little bit of time at least. So they need to be more immediately appealing. Homogenize most controls and systems that you can to make it so that playing your game is smooth if you've played a game like it before.

But the lack of catering to the mass market I'd also say is a product of its time. What you're saying is true and there were more "grassroots" and hobbyist type of developers even if they weren't actually, they were just allowed more freedom at least. Games were popular, sure, but they also weren't everywhere until the console era really was in full swing (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii time periods or about 2000-2014). I think the PS2 was monumental in getting people to have something that was capable of running games for many reasons. Sony's Playstation was a hit, Playstation 2 was its first time getting a new console. On top of that, Playstation 2s were not super expensive and could play DVDs so apparently some people found it was pretty affordable to just buy a PS2 to get their DVD player and also stop their kid from begging for a gaming console all in one go. If that's as true as people claim it is, that's a super smart move on Sony to get their console into your house. Then it kept getting games even when the PS4 was released. It also played PS1 games and read PS1 memory cards for those games.
There is a reason publishers were saying "[c]RPGs are dead." Because they saw how much of a market grew quickly in the console space and they didn't really have players who were used to something like BG and Fallout and Might and Magic and so on. They were used to what games were coming out on consoles. Things that were easy to implement controller based control schemes and were fluid in real time. Platformers, FPS/TPS, Action adventure, racing, etc. It doesn't shock me one bit that Fallout 3 got cancelled and Fallout Brotherhood of Steel got the green light. Why make RPGs that might or might not sell super well when we see that Halo Combat Evolved is outselling everything?

I also find it bizarre to claim Fallout: New Vegas is lightning in a bottle when it's just Fallout 3 with better storytelling.

Even Obsidian couldn't do it again with The Outer Worlds, despite having a bunch of Fallout 1 and NV alumni and being very clear about wanting to replicate NV
(or so I hear, haven't played it since everyone says it's bland)

Last edited:
I hear, haven't played it since everyone says it's bland
There isn't much going on and it was a rather brief game. After while all the character start running together since they all look the same and then you have the one crew member who is a retard. Someone here on the forum was trying to explain what special branch of retard they were but who gives a shit, a retard is a retard is a retard.

The sad truth is; aside from an occasional indie game, most modern games have to be for everyone (not in terms of age rating) making it near impossible for game developers to implement features, mechanics, storylines etc. as there's far more eyes on the product than there were in the 90's. All media has become homogenous at some point, video games are sadly just another victim.

I’ve been playing Pathfinder Kingmaker a lot recently. Honestly, if you want a detailed RPG, I’d suggest that to you folks

I’ve been playing Pathfinder Kingmaker a lot recently. Honestly, if you want a detailed RPG, I’d suggest that to you folks
I agree it's really good, I played the hell out of it. I also liked Wrath of the Righteous for the most part, but couldn't finish it due to eventually getting bored with the premise. I enjoyed a lot of content before I got bored.

But I'm replaying Baldur's Gate 2 again currently so maybe I just really gravitate to those types of games.

RPGs not dead yet!

You don't need to remember he's an ex Legate because Joshua hasn't forgotten. He knows what he did, he's open about it to you. His beliefs however allow him to carry on and attempt to be a better person. You as the player influence that at the end, it's a fairly important choice not just for Joshua but the entire Midwest. Convincing Joshua that his anger is his own anger, and not Gods. That if his belief system is true, the White Legs will be punished for eternity afterwards and he doesn't need to strike down Salt Upon Wounds. The other option turns him into a symbol that the Sorrows and Dead Horses use to become barbarians much like the White Legs were.

It's unfortunate that Joshua immediately executes the three captives before turning on the chieftain, as it lessens the message I feel. They also did a poor job with Daniel and his ending slides. I disagree about them hiding behind religion but to each their own.

Fair, I was just pointing out that I don't believe the game itself frames Joshua as a hero, at least not in the typically uncomplicated way of classic American Westerns. And putting his actions and past aside, everyone in the valley is both a victim and a killer, because that's the world that has been thrust upon them by the past. The survivalist, the White Legs, the Horses are all damned into this cycle of violence. Daniel may be an exception, but he's ineffective in the face of what's going on around him.

And while I do agree with an earlier post that being a shooter warps the story's morals, I don't personally think that more effective player choice is necessary to Honest Hearts. Yes, you can't be a pacifist savior who makes everyone play nice. But that's just the way it is. What's happening in the valley began long before you arrive, and continues long after you leave, you're just a witness to it. I don't think making the player complicit is necessarily asking them to support what's happening. It's just telling them that they can't control it. They can let it drive them like Joshua, or they can watch in disapproval like Daniel. But that's a bit of roleplaying that happens in the player's head, I guess.

Defending yourself against genocidal invaders is also about as basic a moral as you can get.

Agreed, but the framing and tone is also important. To compare it to Westerns again, say John Wayne rides in and saves a frontier town from marauding natives. Is he a hero, or a tool of colonial violence? I'd say most classic films in the genre lean far towards the former, because they have no interest in exploring the larger context. There are exceptions.

It's been a while since I played HH, so I'll assume they probably could've done more to contextualize. But New Vegas generally does a decent job of making you feel that any humans you meet have a reason to be there, and I felt the same about the White Legs, personally. They may be easier to sympathize with than the Fiends around Vegas, for example.

Thinking about it more, let me try and put it this way. Honest Hearts asks if it's even possible to be a pacifist in this world. Despite the simple gameplay, I think it's a question they can get away with seriously asking because the stories of Joshua, Daniel, and the survivalist all tie into it. One could argue that Joshua is only doing what's right for the moment, but doesn't he actually revel in being 'required' to do violence, and then what separates him from the enemy? Is Daniel naive or just the only person living by his own principles? The moral choices here are mostly internal, how the player chooses to interpret the events and motives. etcetc, I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
I also find it bizarre to claim Fallout: New Vegas is lightning in a bottle when it's just Fallout 3 with better storytelling.
And much better world building, much better quests, far better roleplaying elements, actual regard for the rules, better world design, even better combat (still bad tho).

The bad parts of New Vegas are all the parts carried over from Fallout 3, New Vegas would be much better if it wasn't made of the garbage version of Fallout 3. So the fact that the game is any good is a miracle because it was made from such an horrendous game.

Even Obsidian couldn't do it again with The Outer Worlds, despite having a bunch of Fallout 1 and NV alumni and being very clear about wanting to replicate NV
(or so I hear, haven't played it since everyone says it's bland)
I'm not sure how much the 1 and NV alumni really were gunning to replicate NV's feeling. There's definitely a sense of a similar style of RPG and it's Cain and Boyarsky at the helm. So you'd think it'd be great. I don't think it's as bad as everyone says but I don't think it's as good as I could have expected to be either. I have no desire to revisit it unfortunately unlike their other games. I do think the NV replication comes more from the marketing team because they were like hey it's the creators of Fallout and the studio that made New Vegas, that'll get people really excited! And it did.

Back