"Kid In The Fridge" Quest = the stupidest quest ever.

If you chose the Wild Wasteland perk in New Vegas, you would stumble upon a refrigerator somewhere just outside of Goodsprings. Inside it, there is a skeleton wearing Indiana Jones' hat and other items indicating this was a joke regarding the recent Indiana Jones and the Ancient Aliens scene where he hides in a refrigerator to survive a detonation of a nuclear weapon. This film takes place in 1957 and he opens the fridge from the inside after surviving. The whole scene in New Vegas only appears if you select the Wild Wasteland perk which also has references to Monty Python and other clever but not over-the-top or immersion-breaking in your face scenes.

In contrast, Kid in the Fridge is part of the actual story of Fallout 4. Not only that, but the entire quest that plays out when you let the kid out of the fridge is boring and dumb as rocks. The kid survives and turns into a ghoul and cannot let himself out of the fridge, but had no food or water for 200 years, despite the fact that the ghouls of Necropolis explicitly died of dehydration.

Why? The response to this question was the same that Michael Bay gave Ben Affleck when he questioned the absurdity of training drillers to be astronaut in Armageddon: "Shut up."

Or, in their words "Not interested in discussing realism in a game with talking mutants...writers are allowed to have fun."

And not only the scene appeared only if you had Wild Wasteland, even then the occupant DIED. Even when making a wackier version of Fallout did Obsidian dream of making the person inside actually alive.

If you chose the Wild Wasteland perk in New Vegas, you would stumble upon a refrigerator somewhere just outside of Goodsprings. Inside it, there is a skeleton wearing Indiana Jones' hat and other items indicating this was a joke regarding the recent Indiana Jones and the Ancient Aliens scene where he hides in a refrigerator to survive a detonation of a nuclear weapon. This film takes place in 1957 and he opens the fridge from the inside after surviving. The whole scene in New Vegas only appears if you select the Wild Wasteland perk which also has references to Monty Python and other clever but not over-the-top or immersion-breaking in your face scenes.

In contrast, Kid in the Fridge is part of the actual story of Fallout 4. Not only that, but the entire quest that plays out when you let the kid out of the fridge is boring and dumb as rocks. The kid survives and turns into a ghoul and cannot let himself out of the fridge, but had no food or water for 200 years, despite the fact that the ghouls of Necropolis explicitly died of dehydration.

Why? The response to this question was the same that Michael Bay gave Ben Affleck when he questioned the absurdity of training drillers to be astronaut in Armageddon: "Shut up."

Or, in their words "Not interested in discussing realism in a game with talking mutants...writers are allowed to have fun."

And not only the scene appeared only if you had Wild Wasteland, even then the occupant DIED. Even when making a wackier version of Fallout did Obsidian dream of making the person inside actually alive.

Their next game should have a Wild Wasteland perk that gives you the usual wackiness, and a secret Bethesda Wasteland perk that turns that shit up to 11.

Their next game should have a Wild Wasteland perk that gives you the usual wackiness, and a secret Bethesda Wasteland perk that turns that shit up to 11.

Yes. I can imagine that happening... wait... it just takes you to Fallout 4.

Yes. I can imagine that happening... wait... it just takes you to Fallout 4.
I think we're onto something...

How about the next game has a perk that, instead of adding wacky stuff, removes all the lore retcons?

'Authentic Wasteland'
Only take this if you like your Fallout universe mostly consistent and immersive. Every rank decreases the population of super mutants and slows ghouls down by 10%. At rank 5, you can talk to some raider gangs.

Last edited:
At rank 3, it removes Jet from the game.

At rank 4, you can finally shoot Garvey and his pals in the face!

Just a point, Billy never actively mentioned being 200 years old, he just mentioned Bombs and Sirens. There is a theory on Reddit about the kid actually being from the Quincy Massacre.

Just a point, Billy never actively mentioned being 200 years old, he just mentioned Bombs and Sirens. There is a theory on Reddit about the kid actually being from the Quincy Massacre.
If this were true the whole Pete Hines Twitter fiasco would have been him smugly saying that "the kid wasn't in the fridge for 200 years morons."

That thread is all kinds of weird.
There's this post by a user called Stepmine:
"People that assumed that Billy was ever a pre-war Ghoul never listened to what they said in the quests. Ripped directly from the games strings (character names added manually):

Billy: What happened to you? You're all burned up like me.

Billy's Father: We're ghouls, Billy.

Billy's Father: The radiation changed us. Looks like it did the same thing to you.

And then there's this:

Player: So how did you end up as Ghouls?

Billy's Father: We... didn't make it to the shelter in time.

Billy's Mother: The door was shutting as the bombs fell. We both must have taken a lot of radiation.

Them being pre-war Ghouls is 100% false. I feel I have already put too much thought in to this awful quest and its writing so I'll be leaving now."

He claims that this suggests that they're NOT pre-war (I assume "pre-war" means "being created during the Great War"), but to me it very much sounds like they were ghoulified in 2077 and not when the Gunners took over Quincy.

/edit:
Also, if that was the solution, why didn't Pete Hines just say so instead of being an idiot about it?

Last edited:
The kid not beeing a ghoul makes even less sense ... albeit ... now that I am thinking about it, maybe it does. Hold on for a min! I know what you're thinking! What is he? Crazy? But, let us assume the child was not a ghoul for the whole time. We know that NuFallout has children, right? And what are children? THEY ARE IMMORTAL! It all makes perfect sense now :ugly:

"People that assumed that Billy was ever a pre-war Ghoul never listened to what they said in the quests. Ripped directly from the games strings (character names added manually):

Billy's Father: The radiation changed us. Looks like it did the same thing to you.

And then there's this:

Billy's Mother: The door was shutting as the bombs fell. We both must have taken a lot of radiation.

Them being pre-war Ghouls is 100% false. I feel I have already put too much thought in to this awful quest and its writing so I'll be leaving now."

He claims that this suggests that they're NOT pre-war (I assume "pre-war" means "being created during the Great War"), but to me it very much sounds like they were ghoulified in 2077 and not when the Gunners took over Quincy.

/edit:
Also, if that was the solution, why didn't Pete Hines just say so instead of being an idiot about it?
This is the biggest reading/listening comprehension fail I have ever seen. Those statements can only mean they ARE pre-war ghouls...

There is zero evidence that shows otherwise.

And then there's this:

/edit:
This is the biggest reading/listening comprehension fail I have ever seen. Those statements can only mean they ARE pre-war ghouls...

There is zero evidence that shows otherwise.
As much as we'd like to imagine that people are rational there will always be crazy people out there. Seriously, if that person can't understand that they are implied to be great war ghouls (including the kid) then either they're a troll or they're clearly insane and need professional help.

To those people lying to themselves by saying they're not prewar ghouls because some lines of dialogue ripped from the game says so. All you have to do is answer this question:

Why did Billy get inside of the fridge?

The kid said because of the bombs if I recalled correctly. If that's true but it wasn't over two hundred years ago then the bombs fell recently which would go with the game's theme of no shits given...

To those people lying to themselves by saying they're not prewar ghouls because some lines of dialogue ripped from the game says so. All you have to do is answer this question:

The post-ap version of the 'why did the chicken cross the road' joke.

Is it "to get to the 50th boring fetch quest objective"?

No... it's the 643rd one.
Oops sorry, I forgot the 593 other pointless boring FedEx objectives.

Is it "to get to the 50th boring fetch quest objective"?

No... it's the 643rd one.
Oops sorry, I forgot the 593 other pointless boring FedEx objectives.

Yeah, it's not hard to do. They're exactly like the first, and as painful as that one!

Back