Fallout 2 mod Megamod version 2.47 Bug Reports and Suggestions

Sorry for the double post, I can't seem to find an edit option.

I just encountered this with Cassidy, and no matter what I do, 0000089.pro is coming back with a vengeance.

I even had a save where the levelup persisted for one session, but upon restarting the game, he went back to his base stats.

ProcessDat2 did nothing useful that I can tell.

What did the trick was saving into a new save slot. I suspect this was the root of my problem, but my experience is limited and I could easily be wrong.

this bug is caused by having the main proto file in data/proto/critters,the engine tries to copy the file to the base name,and cause it is read only,it is not copied,the solution is to add the modded base proto to the master.dat file,ad delete the base proto file from data/proto/critters

that is the point of ProcessDat2.exe

Nirran

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I indeed have that processDat2.exe in earlier megamod (2.44), but I didn't see it with the new version (2.47) So I thought this is fixed somehow.

I will try if it works in 2.47

I'd like to offer some more feedback and potential bugs.

1. This is pretty much my subjective opinion, and I'm in no way implying that the Megamod is worse off without implementing these ideas. But the way lootable armor gets upgraded if your Repair skill is high enough does not sit well with me. Ideally, there should be a one-to-one correspondence between sprites, resistances/AC and salvageable armor. Random rolls should be restricted to whether there's anything left to salvage at all. And the chance of total armor destruction should never be zero.

1.a. In certain instances you get two sets of armor. Notable examples include the Khans at Vault 15 and the Unwashed Villagers. The latter actually drop Combat Arnor Mk II!

2. There's a ...trader(?, one of the guys in leathers) in Modoc who likes to stand in your car. This sometimes also happens in random encounters, but that's harder to influence.

3. Probably a known thing, but the drug dealers in New Reno don't restock, which is all kinds of weird.

4. Scorpions and Mole Rats are influenced by the Fortune Finder perk.

5. When your car breaks down, and you get the replacement part from Smityy, Vic should be able to help you install it. Or the Repair thresholds need to come down, a lot. This is not rocket science.

6. When Sulik's sister gets back to the Umbra village, she turns into a ghost. It's a wonder these tribals haven't died out yet, the way they keep treating their girls.

7. Some of the high-speech/charisma checks are rather poorly communicated. Like Slik's training, or the VC jailbreak. I thought I needed to go perform some other action or seek out additional help, but all it took was some stat boosts, which is something you'd be hard-pressed to think of without a guide or googling. I suggest giving everyone the option to try (bribing, speechifying, asking for favors), and putting in a 'failed' response if your stats aren't good enough.

@MIB88
I'd like to mention a bug with the car and its' upgraded trunk. I get upgrade in New Reno, and I see the size goes +25 after that. But only for a moment, because the second time I check the trunk it's back to previous size. Interestingly, the size returns immediately after the full restart of the game - and also shrinks the second time you check and stays shrinked untul the next full restart. I used this "first load size" to load trunk to the maximum, and then I have negative space in there (-25). In this state I can take things from the trunk but cannot put there nothing, even ammo (it says "No more space for this item").
Here's the screenshot.

@MIB88
I think this may be considered a bug: during any Enclave Patrol encounter troopers fire their weapons only on the first turn. On the second turn they switch to Combat Knives and instantly become mostly harmless :) . I think it would be better to remove Combat Knives from their inventories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I just merged nearly twenty double posts in A ROW @Maldredda so WILL YOU KINDLY not do that? It looks like shit. EDIT YOUR POSTS. One or two double posts I can take without commenting on. That is just excessive. Thanks.

I'd like to offer some more feedback and potential bugs.

7. Some of the high-speech/charisma checks are rather poorly communicated. Like Slik's training, or the VC jailbreak. I thought I needed to go perform some other action or seek out additional help, but all it took was some stat boosts, which is something you'd be hard-pressed to think of without a guide or googling. I suggest giving everyone the option to try (bribing, speechifying, asking for favors), and putting in a 'failed' response if your stats aren't good enough.

How in the hell did you get Slik's training?

Last edited:
How in the hell did you get Slik's training?
You have to have Charisma=6 or more. Then, when he talks about himself there would be a dialog option where you can ask him to teach you. He will give you a puzzle, and if you solve it - he'll give you +15..20% (some ramdom number) to your Barter.

P.S. Initially I said it has to be CH=8, but it happens that CH=6 would be enough, so I edited my post.

Last edited:
Version 2.47.3 Win 10 GoG version of Fallout.
Minor Bugs and sugestions
1. Asking Klint to be closer doesn't work at all. Asking him twice in row makes the game crash.
2. When using flahlight, all party members get light around them.
3. After I got gecko skinning perk I couldn't skin geckos. Restarting the game helped.
4. Maps with caves in random encounters are all fucked up to the point I cannot see my character and there is no exit grids.
5. Something is wrong with To Hit Chance Percentage. Seems 10% lower than it should be.
6. Kaga is ambushing me relentlessly all the time. Not sure if bug or a feature.
7. Characters with low repair skill won't get the hint to use wrench and hammer to open doors in Klamath's cave. Hint shouldn't be skill dependant.
Primitive Tribe Bugs
1. Kurisu is a ghost
2. You can sign treaty with Umbra as many times as you want. Each time gaining 1500xp,

Last edited:
Version 2.47.3 Win 10 GoG version of Fallout.
Minor Bugs and sugestions
1. Asking Klint to be closer doesn't work at all. Asking him twice in row makes the game crash.
4. Maps with caves in random encounters are all fucked up to the point I cannot see my character and there is no exit grids.
I confirm these observations and, too, hope they will be fixed.

7. Characters with low repair skill won't get the hint to use wrench and hammer to open doors in Klamath's cave. Hint shouldn't be skill dependant.
How low was your skill? I had Repair about 35%, and that was enough. I used Repair on the door couple times, and on second try it gave me a hint about hammer and wrench.

See my post just above yours. In short, you have extra files in your PROTO/CRITTERS folder. Delete the files 00000XYZ.pro, where XYZ is one of 062, 079, 089, 097, 107, 136. 152, 160, 161, 163, 164, 342, 471, 546, 550, 569, 585, 643, 656, 658, 659 or 660.

Actually, 585 may be necessary, If you do a certain procedure with Lenny and encounter problems. I don't have quick access to that part of the game.

These files may come back if you do any modding of your own, so the process might have to be repeated at some point.

I don't know why they are included in the Megamod, or whether there's a better way of putting modified base NPC protos in the mod.

I think you are correct on proto numbers. I deleted 97 proto (For Sulik from Pids list in ddraw.ini). Loaded savegame before his promotion, and he keeps his leveled stats after saving and loading.

You have to have Charisma=6 or more. Then, when he talks about himself there would be a dialog option where you can ask him to teach you. He will give you a puzzle, and if you solve it - he'll give you +15..20% (some ramdom number) to your Barter.

P.S. Initially I said it has to be CH=8, but it happens that CH=6 would be enough, so I edited my post.

I have created 2 characters with 7 CH and 8 CH. Only the one with 8 CH can get the training it seems.

@TorontRayne Could you merge my posts ? Sorry for inconvenience.

Last edited:
I have created 2 characters with 7 CH and 8 CH. Only the one with 8 CH can get the training it seems.
Damn! :) I used CH=8 myself (so I was sure it works), but I've read MM guide and in russian version there was info that CH=6 would be enough, so I corrected my initial post, because I probably never played with CH=6 or 7 and I hoped that the guide is correct. Obviously it is not, at least for the current version of MM. )
Thanks for checking this! )

WEATHER MOD SUGGESTION:
I like the idea of a weather mod.
But maybe, every time it SANDSTORMS, there can something written in the Character Observations Screen (I don't know what it is called, it is in the bottom left of the screen), like, "You get stuck in a sandstorm. But it will pass soon," or something, JUST SO PEOPLE LIKE ME KNOW THAT IT IS NOT A GLITCH, IT IS A SANDSTORM WEATHER MOD! :)

This game is all about what the character sees and, more importantly, READS. anyway. =)

Curious observation:
I've done some browsing and found on Nukapedia that Billy (patron at the Hole) actually reacts to sex-rating. This is a rather rare occurrence as he also requires CH 6*, and failing his required rating of 5 is difficult with CH 6: (CH 6, EN 1, ST 4 & AG 9 is 4,9 and misses it by only 0,1, so increase any of those stats by 1 and the PC passes).
I thought this oddity could be interesting as some mods (like MegaMod) have fixed the caps amount (from 200 to 50), I think.
Wouldn't it make more sense to up the required sex-rating to 7 or 9? This way a CH 6 PC could do it once (200 with good speech), but only a committed character could repeat it: (CH 8, EN 8, AG 8 is a 7,04) (with +KSM it would be 9,04).
That may be a better fix than reducing the sum to 50. Which makes it a grind actually (unless I'm missing something). This wouldn't work for Miria though.
Anyway, increasing the required rating would also have the effect that more players would experience the scenario of failing Billy. At the moment, with the CH 6 requirement, this is something that almost needs it's own specific build (the “fail-Billy” build).
(Tbh, combining a rating of 5 and a CH 6 requirement was not optimal. This made more sense with Mrs. Bishop were ST 6 could be used instead CH 6, and consequently several characters could fail her rating requirements more naturally).
Anyway, I thought that may be interesting.

*Actually, CH 6 is RP Mod (checked it), however it may not require CH 6 in vanilla (not tested), as Jorner's guide doesn't mention it, then again Jorner's guide doesn't mention the sex-rating requirement either so (…).

EDIT: Actually, Mrs. Bishop's ratings don't work so well with ST6 builds either. And 4 (falls asleep), 5 to 6 (one question), 7 (extended pillow talk), may actually work better than 3/4 to 6/7.

Last edited:
Went to Colly and Scraptown recently.

At Colly, the redhead guy mention a city and says it isn't in the mod. I assume it is on pupose, but i would mention it anyway.

Something forgotten in scraptown. There are a couple of changes here and there. Most make sense or aren't that much troublesome. I've checked most of the part that were used to involve the first Fallout setting. Most were changed to fit Fallout 2 setting, except for Lex dialogs. He tells you that you are looking for Necropolis. In the context of Fallout 2, it should be replaced by Vault City. Also, i kind of miss the original soundtrack of the place. It lose a bit of charm to replace it by a generic Fo2 music.

I've got a crash to desktop and *error grabing text files* or something like that, when i've tried to release Kurisu. I guess she won't taste freedom on this playthrough.

Also, i don't know if it is a vanilla glitche of a megamod glitch, but i was able to marry both Davin and Miria. The good thing is that i can ask them to wait for me if needed.

I am also having 7 companions right now. I guess i went past the party limit.

Edit :
- When i give Skeeter, the second item he needed, he says the dialog of McClure when he got the economic data disk.
- There is no line to recruit Lenny or tell him about the vault dweller.

Last edited:
Damn! i was about to download this mod but after reading all the bugs it have... Maybe in 10 years when all the bugs are fixed. thank God i haven´t wasted my time with this. RP is the best Mod and this looks like 60% taken from RP. Grats to the effort but i think this Mod is just a huge waste of time.

This mod is made by very few people on their free time, gathering assets from different sources, and making them work together, which is not an easy task.

Beside, even if they don't release a new update every week, they still make updates and provide support.

Many other mods are just dead, never to be updated ever again. And 99% of the mods never went beyond concept phase.

Also, in order to be bug free, a mod or a game needs to be tested. And modder cannot afford paid testers. WE ARE the testers.

And once again, nobody pays them, forces them, rewards them for their work. They do it on their own accord. They don't owe us the thing.

Bullet points for some issues i had recently.

- There are two versions of the abbey, with different quests. Those mentioned in the Megamod guide are about the location labelled *monastery*. Those quests don't seem to be functionnal. The version labelled *Abbey* is the location we know from the RP.

- There are two working versions of the primitive tribe (and more that don't work). The smaller version only seems there to move forward with the questline of Carson City. Otherwise, everything else is in the other version. (i don't know if the smaller version can be accessed without cheating).

- As the Monastery quests were unresponsive, i have to cheat to enable Carson City (two versions. Only one is working). The settlement has a green exit grid that leads to .... bunker 21... Which already is a separate location. I guess it is a glitch. (also, it doesn't seem i am missing any quests. Still have to find Kruget, though)

- Many unreacheable locations (that i activated through cheats) are either not loading (village near Vault City, Ranger safe house), incomplete (slaver vault), or unlikely to ever be activated (abandoned mine). Might be good to do some clean up to reduce data volume, unless there are plans for those locations.

- I got most companions together through a perk (some need to clear the party and rehire, but ultimately, it is possible to have them all at the same time). Davin and Miria shouldn't be told to wait while at Modoc. They can become unresponsive. And if told to wait elsewhere, Miria will move toward the exit grid. (but not leave the map. And i can still talk to her and hire her back)

- If Dobbs is told to wait, he won't accept to be recruited back, saying that the party is full, even if i am alone.

- Lenny won't join until i get the GECK.

- This one is bothering me a bit more than the others. Marcus is in my party, but i can't talk to him, meaning that i can't tell him to wait, (dunno what triggered it) and i am prevented to access some locations if he is coming with me. If i can't manage to reset him, i will have to put him down. It will sadden me, but if i must... (i will try what i can to salvage my mutant friend)

- A lot of floating lines are missing. Didn't list them, though. On the other hand, when i reach a location, i get Skynet floating lines, even if it isn't there. Speaking of Skynet, the sentry bot version doesn't disable security when he enters other floors. (dunno if the robotbrain version still does it)

- The dwarf at the NCR bazaar entrance is bipolar. Day one, he refuses to let me enter the tent. Day two, i can trade with him. Day three, he outright attack me. (weapon holstered, daytime)

Edit: Saved Marcus. It looked like i had caused hostility at Broken Hills and Marcus didn't fully acknowledged it. I killed bugged Marcus, Used F2SE to reset Broken Hills, removed Marcus death status and removed Broken Hills enemy status, then went back to Broken Hills to recruit a brand new Marcus. (hopefully didn't remove my quest progression there.)

Last edited:
Back