Moon Base

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
T

TorontoReign

I was lurking at another forum when I saw someone mention an idea about a moon base mod for Fallout 3. There could be multiple Vaults on the Lunar surface and maybe some kind of alien enemies.
You would have to wear a space suit to survive and whatnot.

Is this possible?
Does it make sense?
Does it fit the setting? To me it does since lunar travel and aliens are prevalent in 50's culture, but I'm asking for constructive opinions here. I'm not proposing to create such a mod, but I am asking for input for curiosity purposes.

There is one outstanding reason for a moon base - fusion fuel. Fusion reactors are -everywhere- in fallout 3, but the *fuel* for fusion reactors is extremely, extremely rare on earth... but abundant on the moon!

Yes, there would be a moon base.
Would there also be vaults there? Doubtful.
Would you even still be able to get up there? Also doubtful.

Well, Van Buren had the B.O.M.B. Satellite you'd go to for the final act.

Provided that it was the end game area and there was something really important there (no tee-hee, me am on moon now um gon kil allins gibberish) I don't see why it wouldn't be cool.

There would only be two ways to reach the moon, in my opinion.

Considering the Enclave had only recently acquired aviator technology, space fairing technology is a big stretch for them. And the hubologists, lol yeah, but they were on the WEST coast.

Therefore, the possibilities include an orbital elevator, or a bunker with an operational orbital-altitude fusion powered flight craft.

No just saying, to get there, there'd have to be something already established - pre-war likely - that was salvaged.

Dubby said:
There is one outstanding reason for a moon base - fusion fuel. Fusion reactors are -everywhere- in fallout 3, but the *fuel* for fusion reactors is extremely, extremely rare on earth... but abundant on the moon!

Deuterium is abundant on the moon?

Also, I loved the idea of B.O.M.B. in Van Buren but was never fond of the PC being able to reach it. Flight is just a stretch in the Fallout setting, already pushed by the existence of vertibirds (good thing they left out the shuttle functioning in Fallout 2). The idea of remote satellites that you can get in contact with or even activate from earth is great (very Dr Bloodmoney) and even Fallout 3 has that with Highwater Trousers and all.

Reachable Moonbase? Egh.

There is an alien crash site in the game, and even a dead alien to boot. Plus, you can find the blaster he's got. I doubt that going to a moon base is that far-fetched. You'd need to make getting there extremely hard and whatnot, though, to make the idea even remotely plausible as I am sure that there won't be any working shuttles 200 years into the future after the nuclear weapons attacks.

hijacking an alien shuttle and flying to the moon sounds cool for your un of the mill game, but might not entirely fit the fallout universe, or any post-apoc game for that matter...

hella cool though

Brother None said:
Dubby said:

Deuterium is abundant on the moon?

Also, I loved the idea of B.O.M.B. in Van Buren but was never fond of the PC being able to reach it. Flight is just a stretch in the Fallout setting, already pushed by the existence of vertibirds (good thing they left out the shuttle functioning in Fallout 2). The idea of remote satellites that you can get in contact with or even activate from earth is great (very Dr Bloodmoney) and even Fallout 3 has that with Highwater Trousers and all.

Reachable Moonbase? Egh.

The sun releases individual particles of fusion fuel that is swept away by solar winds. Earth has an atmosphere, which blocks these particles from reaching the surface. The moon is barren, and has been soaking up these particles for 4 billion years. Real world estimates place enough fusion fuel on JUST our own moon that could power ALL of humanity for the next thousand years, including ALL the fancy technological power hungry devices we can come up with. It's also very easy to mine, as the particles are embedded just under the surface dust. This discovery is the sole reason why so many nations are racing to get to the moon again and make a permanent establishment there. There's even several companies right now ready to take advantage of that and strip mine this fuel on the moon. NASA has known about this substance since the beginning of the space age... but arguements for fusion reactors would also end on the note "Well... we don't have any here on earth soo...." and thusly would look towards other means of propulsion.

And by fusion fuel, I'm referring to Helium 3. All elements (up to iron) can infact sustain a fusion reaction, given adequate pressure and temperature. Iron is too stable to collapse into heavier elements just from fusion alone - which is why supernovi produce the rest of the elements heavier than iron. Anywyas, He3 on the other hand, produces an outstandingly energy productive reaction with very little neutron radiation emitted and very little input. We have working He3 reactors right now - the difficulty is getting the fuel. Infact we've -had- working He3 reactors for a long time. I think the reason the fusion micro-reactors in fallout 3 in cars EXPLODE is because Bethesda thinks they were going to use hydrogen... which is well, an obvious solution - but not a very sound solution.

The Wandering Milkman said:
Is it possible? In terms of making it and all that, yes.
Does it make sense or fit into the setting? Hell no.

Why not? Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were a large part of Science Fiction in the 50's. We traveled to the moon in the 60's I know, but the canon has shown that the Fallout universe did do things in space.
Other than you just not liking it is there a reason? I'm curious to know peoples thoughts on this.
I understand there probably not being any working crafts and piloting a alien Saucer would be a little crazy, but does it really not fit in the setting?
Would some kind of slipgate technology be plausible? Possibly an underground military base would possess something similar to Stargate.

I thought there are alien bases on the other side of the mood.

But seriously...it's a weird idea, and i don't like it. But do it if you want to! When the GECK is out, you can even make an alien invasion in DC!

Hmm 50's future vision could make it possible. I also think that I could live with the idea of some outpost stuff on the moon. But flying the player up there... mah, not really. Here the problem would be for me the needed ressources to do this (just to reach the moon where most people should be dead after so many years?).

/Edit: But take a look at Forbidden Planet. :P

alarm_im_weltall_2.jpg

Lexx said:
Hmm 50's future vision could make it possible. I also think that I could live with the idea of some outpost stuff on the moon. But flying the player up there... mah, not really. Here the problem would be for me the needed ressources to do this (just to reach the moon where most people should be dead after so many years?).

/Edit: But take a look at Forbidden Planet. :P

alarm_im_weltall_2.jpg

If it fits to the game, It would/should be a spin-off based in Fallout universe, not a continuation to the main plot.

"Find a way to travel on the Moon's base, and find out if there is still life left, after the bombs fell! Face evil mutated moon creatures! And ejnoy fantastic immersive graphics, which will make you feel like you are really walking, on the surface of the real Moon!"

Would it be possible to mod in higher jumping while on the aforementioned Lunar base, to accommodate the lower gravitational field?

Back