Fallout 2 mod Mutants Rising...

The sites back up again. It's only the programming that needs finishing - the rest is 97% finished. That missing 3% is for tweaking and small fixes.

This was in response to me asking about the website's percentages in a different thread. Any update on these?

It will never be completed at this rate due to lack of scripters iirc.

Jeepers! Any idea what the percentages would be if it was updated?
Everything should be at 100% except for scripting - which would be at 75% (just guessing the scripting percentage), but it's probably pretty close.

% estimations aren't a good way to figure out how much is left to do. Besides, usually it goes like this: If you are 90% done, you are actually just 50% one.

What are you talking about. :D There was lots of work being done in the past years. I just did a quick check on the forum, and the last time you were somewhat active was something around 2016. There was A LOT progress since, hardly what I would call "progress ground to a halt."

Progress ground to a halt once I'd gone. Shame to see it all go to the wasteland.

You could always help finish the scripting Chris, it would be greatly appreciated! We already have Tygernoot chipping away at the scripts, but having another Fallout scriptor assisting would speed up the process.

You could always help finish the scripting Chris, it would be greatly appreciated! We already have Tygernoot chipping away at the scripts, but having another Fallout scriptor assisting would speed up the process.

What exactly does finishing 'scripting' for your mod(or any mod) entail? I've never modded...anything before so I'm genuinely curious.

What exactly does finishing 'scripting' for your mod(or any mod) entail? I've never modded...anything before so I'm genuinely curious.
Scripting is the stuff that makes the game tick. When you click to talk to a npc, the engine calls ghe script attached to that character and you have to code in the reactions, the dialogue tree, how each line of dialogue links to another. Etc....

Maps have scripts as well which can control light levels where the player enters the map etc.

Quests are handelled with script variables which can be assigned numbers and altered when you meet certain riteria. Again, this all needs to be coded in.

Its not that hard if you have the aptitude. Even if rhe fallout language is a bit of a modge!

Basically, without scripting the game does practically nothing.

Scripting is the stuff that makes the game tick. When you click to talk to a npc, the engine calls ghe script attached to that character and you have to code in the reactions, the dialogue tree, how each line of dialogue links to another. Etc....

Maps have scripts as well which can control light levels where the player enters the map etc.

Quests are handelled with script variables which can be assigned numbers and altered when you meet certain riteria. Again, this all needs to be coded in.

Its not that hard if you have the aptitude. Even if rhe fallout language is a bit of a modge!

Basically, without scripting the game does practically nothing.
This all sounds decently simple to pick up. Is Fallout 2's language based on something common that one could go look for easy courses on, like C++ or something related?

This all sounds decently simple to pick up. Is Fallout 2's language based on something common that one could go look for easy courses on, like C++ or something related?
I had no coding knowledge prior to fallout scripting. I only learnt as I wanted to make some small mods. If you've played fallout and know what all the characters do etc... then looking up their script and seeing how it works under the hood as it were makes it quick to pickup. There's enough tutorials out there these days to show how to compile scripts and get them working in the game.

So Chris are you interested in helping finish what you started all the way back, a lot of people want to play the game and the more scripters the merrier. You've already put a lot of time into it over the years, your ideas are still embedded in the game and it would be great to see them played out.

So Chris are you interested in helping finish what you started all the way back, a lot of people want to play the game and the more scripters the merrier. You've already put a lot of time into it over the years, your ideas are still embedded in the game and it would be great to see them played out.
You know, after taking time away to help my mum with her cancer battle and deal with some issues of my own, I fully expected to return and push this over thr edge. I did not expect to ve told it was no longer my project and I couldn't take back the helm. Been told I could stay as a tester, well it hurt. The team made their choice.

Besides, all my fallout tools were removed long ago and quantum chemistry keeps my more than busy.

It _REALLY_ helps to know the basics of how C/C++ works (C in particular, since there are no classes in Fallout's StarTrek Scripting language).
Specifically, SSL (StarTrek Scripting Language) is an amalgamation of C and Pascal, though it doesn't have some of the nicer functionality that C offers (pointers in specific).

Besides, all my fallout tools were removed long ago and quantum chemistry keeps my more than busy.
What Fallout tools have been lost to time? Seems like so many useful tools have disappeared over the years.

What Fallout tools have been lost to time? Seems like so many useful tools have disappeared over the years.
It _REALLY_ helps to know the basics of how C/C++ works (C in particular, since there are no classes in Fallout's StarTrek Scripting language).
Specifically, SSL (StarTrek Scripting Language) is an amalgamation of C and Pascal, though it doesn't have some of the nicer functionality that C offers (pointers in specific).

I concur, if you know C/C++ then you'll manage with fallout.

I lost all my tools when i had to reinstall my OS. Got a lovely little popup oncfe completed with a list of all "non microsoft programs that windows wiped during installation" After that I lost the will to start again.

Back