Muties in Fallout 4

So what I'm gathering is, the creation of Super Mutants makes the Institute wasteful, amoral and inept, all in one, if we accept the premise that they created and released every single Mutie out there.
That was sort of the point of The Institute.

Its even mentioned in the FEV logs that basically the entire FEV project team concluded that continued work on the FEV project was a waste, yet the directorate at the time kept them doing it, and even after Shaun became the director, he STILL had them doing it until just a few months ago when Vigil was supposedly "killed". The scientists in The Institute working on the project said it was a waste 50 years ago, and they were still forced to keep doing it.

And Shaun says himself that The Institute doesn't care about the surface world, they see it as broken and unsaveable, and want to dig deeper underground to get away from it. Despite the fact it was The Institute themselves who sent synths to kill everyone at the meeting between settlements trying to form a new government to bring some sort of stability to The Commonwealth.

The Institue is supposed to be like the Fallout 2 Enclave, or the scientists at Big MT., they are so caught up in their own shit they can't see that THEY are the problem they constantly complain about.

It still doesn't make much sense that they are that wasteful. Callous, yes, short-sighted, I get it, but devoting a significant part of their ressources towards such a useless program? That just makes them a bunch of morons.

It still doesn't make much sense that they are that wasteful. Callous, yes, short-sighted, I get it, but devoting a significant part of their ressources towards such a useless program? That just makes them a bunch of morons.
That's not exactly uncommon of Fallout.

Big MT. did many experiments of equal uselessness, and they were arguably smarter then The Institute.

That's not exactly uncommon of Fallout.

Big MT. did many experiments of equal uselessness, and they were arguably smarter then The Institute.

The Big MT were crazy.

Yeah, they had the whole biogel degradation and mentats corruption going for 200 or so years, not to mention the loop in their code and stuff.

Yeah, they had the whole biogel degradation and mentats corruption going for 200 or so years, not to mention the loop in their code and stuff.
Mobious says he did that AFTER they started going crazy.

The Big MT team were already morally corrupt assholes, willing to perform any number of pointless and inhumane experiments on people. Mobious realized this and trapped them in a mental loop so they could never get out and inflict thier shit across the wastes.

heres a question for a question...
when is there going to be a working/released FEV?
the one in FO2 was tested very hard till they got the perfect results. destroying all mutation. ok the village so what... moving on to the point. in FO3 the enclave created it by water bound which seamed a bit less lethal then the type used in Fo2 which was an airbord type that was to be spread over the jet stream ... ok... the stuff in FO3 was given the same princables as in FO2. to kill any and all mutations. it worked. too well. anyone with radiated systems would die off. but over a elongated period of time. cool.
SO. given the time stamp of FO3 and FO4... it should be well advised that the FEV from FO3 when released SHOULD have been in water in FO4.
"well what if the writers didnt want what happen in FO3 to have happen"
then make a FEV that WORKS and be able to release it! its NOT THAT HARD to change a denominating code factor from :1 , :2 , :0

Never, of course. Fallout needs it's Super Orcs. The player needs something else for target practise, or you would have only raiders to shoot.

You forgot about those rotting zombies that run super fast because of their...rotting..muscles?
Actually, the only part rotting on ghouls is their skin, and their brains Their muscles are fine.

As for their speed, the human body is capable of moving faster/stronger then we can use in our daily lives. Such exertions of our body however are self-destructive, so we are have mental limiters, such as pain, preventing us from exerting ourselves that much.

The brain of a ghoul however is rotting, and those mental limiters would no longer be in effecting, allowing a feral ghouls to constantly use its body to the fullest. The regeration granted from radiation would allow it to do so without causing any permanent harm as well.

Neither Fallout 1 and 2 show them as beeing very agile and fast though ... the kind of ghouls that you see in Fallout 3, 4 and Vegas seem to be at least in their movements, very different to the kind of ghouls you face in the previous games. Not that it bothers me THAT much, but I am just saying. It was pretty much Fallout 3 that made them in to generic enemies. At least in F2 they felt more like inhabitants of the wasteland.

Neither Fallout 1 and 2 show them as beeing very agile and fast though ... the kind of ghouls that you see in Fallout 3, 4 and Vegas seem to be at least in their movements, very different to the kind of ghouls you face in the previous games. Not that it bothers me THAT much, but I am just saying. It was pretty much Fallout 3 that made them in to generic enemies. At least in F2 they felt more like inhabitants of the wasteland.

There is a new ghoul model in Fallout 2 that has the ability to sprint. He wears a torn vault suit.

You missed the first two points of the post

Here's a gold star for you.
I missed nothing, those only made them more crazy, it isn't what made them crazy in the first place. It had no relevance to the topic at hand.

Mobius explicitely says that even when they were humans, they weren't very good humans. So while they may not have been as insane as they became 200 years down the line, they definitely had several screws loose.

Besides, the Think Tank were more or less meant as jokes. So if that's the level of wasteful callousness that the Institute is supposed to be, I'm not sure how seriously Bethesda wants us to take their Big Bad.

The ghouls in Fallout 4 are WAY faster then in 3 and NV. Their movements look sped up in fast motion too, they can run from one area of the map to you in a heartbeat which sucks. I honestly would like to know how they can run that fast because it makes no sense but whatever Bethesda is going to Bethesda.

Last edited:
I am not sure if it sucks or what ever. All I know is that I would prefer to have more intelligent ghoul NPCs than target practise ghouls. And this is how Fallout 1 and 2 felt for me. Hence why I am disapointed that they became just generic zombies, just as how Super Orcs became nothing more but target practise for the player ...

I am not sure if it sucks or what ever. All I know is that I would prefer to have more intelligent ghoul NPCs than target practise ghouls. And this is how Fallout 1 and 2 felt for me. Hence why I am disapointed that they became just generic zombies, just as how Super Orcs became nothing more but target practise for the player ...
It sucks when you have 7 ghouls running super fast at you then hitting you and tripping on the ground. :P
I hate how they turned them into cannon fodder now, I can't remember one ghoul in Fallout 4 with a meaningful, nice conversation. I'm not counting that ghoul chick that Cooke kills though, she's a bitch.
I can't understand why I have super mutants running at me while being strapped with C4, don't they have some sort of self-preservation instinct or are they all running around with an IQ of 20?

Last edited:
Back