New dev diary on Fallout 3 site

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
The newest dev diary is called Conceptual Design, in which the main concept artist Adam Adamowicz explains his work and shows of 11 of his pieces. Amongst the creatures seen in the artworks are radscorpions, molerats and deathclaws. Here's his words on super mutants.<blockquote>Designing The Super Mutant

“Don’t shoot him, you’ll just make him mad.” The famous line from Blazing Saddles describing Mongo, was my guiding inspiration for these guys. I wanted them to look like they would step into a tree shredder, for relaxation. Their musculature was to be straining at the bone structure underneath, creating a hyper jacked up caricature of a person in the throes of radioactive testosterone poisoning, and liking it.

This led to a lot of visual gags costume wise too. Not only did they wield parking meters like police batons, but they carried their victims caged in shopping carts strapped to their backs. You know, just in case they got peckish after a fight, and wanted a snack.

Their armor is total salvage yard, car hoods and fenders resourcefully but crudely pounded into chest plates and pauldrons. Lawn mower blades welded onto helmets. I wanted recognizable elements twisted to a more violent purpose to reflect a sinister resourcefulness to surviving in a highly dangerous world. This “junkyard wars” approach to their armor and weapons generated whole categories of unique and often hilarious Homemade Weapons that I’ll speak about next.</blockquote><center>

</center>

Link: Conceptual Design on official Fallout 3 site.

Thanks Gstaff.

Hm, some of this is really quite cool when looked upon as stand-alone art. I must admit I'm scratching my head when looking at it as Fallout-pieces. I like the Super Mutants accesorising, but I still think they themselves look off.

I assume those are Death Claws in the last picture. I think it looks pretty good, but I must say I always envisioned their faces to be a lot scarier. I also like the Brahim that the Death Claw is hunting, but the more detailed one looks a lot more rugged than I pictured them. I really like that disgusting thing above the Brahmin, I wonder if it's a pig rat?

There's a lobster guy, and I wonder wtf the thing in the lower right is (again, in the last picture).

I assume a lot of this looks quite different after actually being put in-game.

Despite him saying "I'll start talking monsters" right before discussing super mutants, I really want to like all this, I really do.

But I can't.

The super mutants do indeed look like the huge human-physique beings we saw in the demo. No hulking, no disproportionate growth, just really big and ugly humans. Wrong.

Also, the moment this is your inspiration:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28khv-BydeY[/youtube]
You're wrong. End of story.

The homemade weapons are fine but uninteresting. The flaming sword is still a monumentally stupid idea.

The fashion is really good. I like the piecemeal construction, it fits in the Mad Max heritage. It was never very prominent in Fallout because Fallout used sprites, but it makes sense in the setting.

I know lots of people have problems with the vault suits. I don't, they look very 50's. They're not identical to the originals, and I can see why that would bug some, but they look fine to me.

The machines are cool, vacuum tubes and all.

The environments are a bit vague but obviously emanate the right feel, googie and art deco and all. Good stuff.

The robots are a fucking disaster area. Looks like someone tripped over piles of steampunk and decided that's cooler than retro-50's. Seriously, triple-underlined wrong here, this art is terrible compared to the robots I saw in the demo, which were vastly superior.

The creatures are a friggin' letdown too. Looks like a mix of Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer's chaos armies and John Carpenter's The Thing. Seriously, what is this shit? I hope to fuck crabman and multiple-tongue dude didn't make it into the final game.

Also, I should really point out here that it's a really bad joke that at a point where the game is finished we're being presented with an outline of concept art, which would have been appropriate PR, uhmmm, a year ago? Seriously, how insular can Bethesda get?

The Deathclaw looks like freaking Diablo, also, when did he decide that the Garthim from The Dark Crystal would fit in Fallout? That cockroach monster looks ridiculous.

I like most of his other stuff though, excluding the super mutants, the leather armor looks neat and I enjoy the caricatures he added in the corner, with the nurse and such.

Eh, hit and miss, he is a talented art designer though.

Well... I like the weapon concept art and some of the robots there, also vending machines and computers are good, some decent stuff there sure but it seems to me theres maybe bit too much scifi there, lots of different kind of gadgets everywhere(too much, though those might just be particularly gadgetfull places and people).
Monsters are also too ugly for my taste(supermutants escpecially), though i can picture some pretty ugly buggers in fallout universe, radscorpion is pretty neat though. I always pictured deathclaws legs more muscular than in those pics.

But OK stuff.

I kinda like these but it's just that it does not scream Fallout at all for me. It's like a too serious version of Fallout, very far from the cartoonish/comics aspect of Fallout's critters. Well...I know that it's probably not why Bethesda chose not to respect the original design but emulating that cartoonish aspect in first person would have probably made the game look a bit like Serious Sam and it probably would not have worked within a darker context than Fallout 2's ( since they claim Fallout 3 is darker... ). Don't know for sure though...Anyway I like these but yeah, I will have to get used to the new art direction. I wouldn't mind having the collector's edition just for the artbook btw

some of this is really nice, that chick looks very cool i like how they didn't make her boobs pop out and all that.

teeres one thing i don't get though; are behemoths cannibals? maybe i missed something along the way. i really really hate the behemoth thing, everything about it says "dragons in jurassic park".
ynt?

really a very talented artist though, nice.

oh.my.god.

mutants - shit. ugly orks.
fashion - I don't know. Something bugs me. It is just a good post-apoc, but not Fallout.
machines, architecture: good.
robots - what the hell. Mr.Handy (?) is cool and those sputnik-like robots too. but the others. wtf are those iron man-like creatures?

creatures - I like deathclaws. And what is the first creature? something new?

MrBumble said:
Brother None : is the Protectron one of these robots ?

No.

spadthebad said:
teeres one thing i don't get though; are behemoths cannibals? maybe i missed something along the way. i really really hate the behemoth thing, everything about it says "dragons in jurassic park".

Behemoth does eat humans, yes. But since humans and mutants aren't really the same species, that would not make him a cannibal.

The art itself isn't all that bad, as far as I'm concerned.

The explanations are worse. Especially for the mutants.

A couple of the robots look like they were straight lifted from Star Wars.

Brother None said:
Also, I should really point out here that it's a really bad joke that at a point where the game is finished we're being presented with an outline of concept art, which would have been appropriate PR, uhmmm, a year ago? Seriously, how insular can Bethesda get?

Maybe they didn't have any conceptual drawings in the first place, and now they quickly scribbled some up based on their in-game models to pretend like they put more thought behind this than they actually did.

./eternal cynic

shihonage said:
Maybe they didn't have any conceptual drawings in the first place, and now they quickly scribbled some up based on their in-game models to pretend like they put more thought behind this than they actually did.

./eternal cynic

That could have worked for Falout : BOS. And I'm serious...

Hmmm...

Supermutants are WAY off...
Deathclaws should have broader shoulders and a lot more muscle mass in the upper torso, in my opinion...
The brahmin probably shouldn't be quite so "starved", but it's fairly good...
I have no idea what that thing with the crab-claws is, but I don't think it has anything to do with Fallout...
Most weapons look ok, though that sword thingy is ridiculous...
Some of the costumes in the 4th picture are okay, some are not...
I think the vault suits in the 5th picture should be slightly tighter, but they're still not that bad...
Various items in the 6th picture are okay...
The brainrobot in the upper right corner of the 10th pic looks decent, but the rest just feel wrong...

He's definitely a good artist, but I feel he's failed to capture the essence of the Fallout look in many of the things we see here. :|

Brother None said:
spadthebad said:

Behemoth does eat humans, yes. But since humans and mutants aren't really the same species, that would not make him a cannibal.

lol that's debatable, i would say since they were born human then they are eating their own species.

another thing, are the victims still alive in this cart?
in my experience a shopping cart doesn't make a very good cage :)

colamachinerb1.jpg

About the only thing they got right was this thing.

Eyenixon said:
The Deathclaw looks like freaking Diablo, also, when did he decide that the Garthim from The Dark Crystal would fit in Fallout? That cockroach monster looks ridiculous.

I like most of his other stuff though, excluding the super mutants, the leather armor looks neat and I enjoy the caricatures he added in the corner, with the nurse and such.

Eh, hit and miss, he is a talented art designer though.

They should have made the deathclaw more reptilian, looks like a
demon hellspwan. I also not happy with the Brahmin looks mean.
The older one looked nicer.

Well, not all is bad there. The leather jacket is cool, some of the equipment also, such as the VDU and the Nuka-Cola machine and maybe that thingie above the giant lawnmower/vacuum cleaner which I believe is the air purification gizmo from the vaults, plus the robobrain.

The rest, however, sucks, particularly the weapons. You have a BFG9000 below the not-nearly-maligned-enough flaming sword, and a portable hydrant which I fear may be the Cryolator on the bottom. The new cockroach/crab monster looks silly, and is that gentlemen without arms on the lower-right corner puking his intestines out supposed to be a centaur?

Back