New Vegas vs. FO3 humor

Nodder

It Wandered In From the Wastes
What did Oblivion do right with NV's humor, where Bethesda's humor failed? What did NV not get right (i.e. wasn't funny)?

Was there humor in fallout 3?

Some parts of NV made me LOL so far, just better writing, and VO.

mobucks said:
Was there humor in fallout 3?
That would be my question, too.
Maybe Moira was supposed to be funny instead of an insane abomination from hell.
Also, I think they meant exploding heads and limbs to be the pinnacle of human humor achievement.

They've just given NPCs more personality and depth overall, and it adds a lot to help set the mood for a town. Even the supermutants have personalities like in FO1 and 2, instead of being mindless, hostile enemies with the exception of Fawkes in FO3. Plus I think that with the variety of options available in quests and being able to have surprising conversations with characters whereas in FO3 you probably would have killed them immediately - such as Davison in REPCONN and Tabitha.

Novac has been a real highlight so far and I've chuckled at No-Bark Noonan and Dr Ada Strauss' lines. And with NPC intentions in New Vegas the moral boundaries are a lot more blurred, and someone like The King I didn't like at first and was sure that I'd end up fighting him but he won me over when explaining the purpose of their faction. FO3 was far too black or white.

I don't generally find many things to be very funny, so I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference between NV and Fallout 3. I kind of chuckled at the music that played at the end of, "Come Fly with Me". But I also thought Moira Brown was kind of amusing too.

Fallout 3 humor and jokes were stupid, bland and predictable , New Vegas's humor is actually funny and jokes are well placed. So, Bethesda kinda failed and Obsidian succeeded.

There were some moments when I chuckled at NV's humor...something I never did in FO3.
Yes-Man was a great character.
Also, Mojave Outpost had lovely character's with funny lines.

Yes-Man says everything in a hilarious way, even if it's something dead serious. This is one of the best forms of humor by Obsidian in the game.

^I especially liked his "joke" about a giant death robot. But yes, everything about this character is fucking hilarious - name, image, speech style, lines - everything!

Also, I found the whole guitar-man character chasing his father across the wastes pretty funny, too.

Dave Foley in this game has brought me smile after smile. I'm a HUUUUGE Kids in the Hall fan and have been for years!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2jtu3hDhMU[/youtube]

willooi said:
someone like The King I didn't like at first and was sure that I'd end up fighting him but he won me over when explaining the purpose of their faction.

Yeah, I enjoyed his story about the birth of "The Kings". I laughed how he presumed that guy (who's name is forever lost because all the posters referred to him as "King") was probably "coolest of the cool" because there were actually schools dedicated to teaching how to dress and act like him.

Ausdoerrt said:
Also, I found the whole guitar-man character chasing his father across the wastes pretty funny, too.

One of my friends almost nerdgasmed when I told him about this character today.

Fallout 3 had the same level of humor as the stand up comedian in New Reno.
But New Vegas had that FO2 feel of humor.My personal favorite was when u get back to the atomic wrangler once u get Fisto and say hes a heavy duty model if u know what i mean

I actually laughed out loud when talking to that woman about her Aunt who made the Deathclaw Omelettes. The way she described the Deathclaw getting killed by a wanderer who shot it in the eyes... Classic. And it's funny because anyone who's played Fallout 2 has probably done exactly that.

Yes Man was hilarious.

I must have missed the reference with the travelling Guitar Man because nothing about that conversation jumped out at me as being funny.

And yeah, in the early demos of Fallout 3 Todd Howard kept on talking about how hilarious the VATS kill cam was... That's not humour, that's just being easily amused by juvenile nonsense.

Even though Bethesda claimed to understand the dark humour of the original Fallouts, I can't actually think of anything genuinely funny or even slightly humorous in Fallout 3.

As described above, Fallout: New Vegas hinges on "hey remember this!" injokes and the kind of silly humor that made Fallout 2 big, including pop culture refs. It's usually well-written and pretty funny though.

The type of humor from Fallout 1, the dark sense of humor, seems completely gone from the franchise, though like Fallout 3, New Vegas has some moments (Vault 11, or the Kings).

Back