NMA article: My Fallout 3 adventures!

kikomiko said:
I'm fairly certain I didn't read a single positive thing before that.

He praises the graphics, he praises the skill-checks in dialogue, he praises the fact that people in Megaton were aware of the sheriff's death, praises the look of Rivet City...

Stop jumping the gun and friggin' read something before you criticise it.

There's a lot to like in this game and at least as much to criticise, expect a balanced view in the review, don't go looking for it in this article, y'know, just like as explicitly stated multiple times

You must understand that it is misleading, expecting light-hearted and receiving a biting little sojourn of bitterness.

Sounds hypocritical coming from me, but honestly that was quite a cranky little piece, I assumed it was meant to be humorous and didn't read much into it.

Brother None said:
kikomiko said:
I'm fairly certain I didn't read a single positive thing before that.

He praises the graphics, he praises the skill-checks in dialogue, he praises the fact that people in Megaton were aware of the sheriff's death, praises the look of Rivet City...

Stop jumping the gun and friggin' read something before you criticise it.

There's a lot to like in this game and at least as much to criticise, expect a balanced view in the review, don't go looking for it in this article, y'know, just like as explicitly stated multiple times

No, I read the whole thing. You have to admit, though, that the negatives he mentioned FARRRRRRRRR outweighed the positives, amirite?

On Mr. Burke:

I've managed to use my Charisma 10, 40% Speech plus 'Black Widow' perk on him, and he said that he wouldn't want anything bad for a lovely woman like me, and left the bar saying he will come back later.
(In case you wonder, my SPECIAL is 3,7,7,10,3,7,3. Playing a stupid but convincing blondie :) Too bad I couldn't get laid so far...)

I wonder what this will mean in the long run.
Will he try to explode the bomb?
Or kill the sheriff anyway?
(note that I've just got the game today and managed to get this far)

He's been more fair than I expected him to be, actually. Agree with most everything he said, but I think I'm enjoying it more than him due to nebulous and subjective fun. Plus he seems to be plugging at the main quest more, while I'm something like 25 hours into the game and only now finishing the third main quest. A lot of the best stuff I've seen has been in little side areas, like a group of incestual cannibals.

Biggest thing I agree with is on it not feeling like a Fallout game. But fortunately for what it is, it's a lot of fun. Damn sight better than Mass Effect, NWN2, and MotB, and probably The Witcher.

Jiggly McNerdington said:
Biggest thing I agree with is on it not feeling like a Fallout game. But fortunately for what it is, it's a lot of fun. Damn sight better than Mass Effect, NWN2, and MotB, and probably The Witcher.

I did get bored with Mass Effect quickly. But I doubt you really can compare Fallout 3 to those games. Maybe because I am a huge MotB / The Witcher fan.

I am having fun with FO 3 though.

After reading Vince's entire thread - it's nothing close to an "I hate Fallout 3" screed.

In fact, he's quite complimentary on numerous occasions.

I guess for some people you have to give the game 9 out of 10 or 10 out of 10, or you're being bitter and agenda-driven.

kikomiko said:
You have to admit, though, that the negatives he mentioned FARRRRRRRRR outweighed the positives, amirite?

What, you're changing your story now, because one post back you claimed "I'm fairly certain I didn't read a single positive thing before that" and now it's the bad outweigh the good?

And for Frith's sake, didn't I just point out in my post what is also pointed out in the newspost and in the article itself: this is not a review, it's not supposed to relay balanced points or be fair.

The hell, guys, THE HELL?

UniversalWolf said:
After reading Vince's entire thread - it's nothing close to an "I hate Fallout 3" screed.

In fact, he's quite complimentary on numerous occasions.

I guess for some people you have to give the game 9 out of 10 or 10 out of 10, or you're being bitter and agenda-driven.

I believe that he said or at the very least implied that he doesn't consider Fallout 3 to be Fallout at all.
So he is speaking of Fallout 3 as a generic post-apoc RPG in general.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd hate to start up the discussion again, but I don't think there can be any debate as to whether or not this game is Fallout. Its approach to setting is as inconsistent and messy as Fallout 2's, while its gameplay is completely divorced from Fallout 1/2. It is unrelated to its predecessors in every conceivable major way.

So saying "it's not a Fallout sequel" is kind of kicking in an open door.

But yes, Vince pretty much said fairly clearly right from the start that "it's not a Fallout game", what that means exactly is for the audience to decide :joetheplumber:.

Obviously it's going to get reviewed as a game and as a Fallout game here, no matter how much it fails at the latter.

I'm really enjoying the game. It is bleaker than the originals, I'm realising - all those empty houses with little stories inside (SPOILERS: like the[spoiler:29ea8a1c8f] two skeletons in each other arms on a bed in one house[/spoiler:29ea8a1c8f], which I actually found quite touching). But Vince is right in that it's better than Oblivion (which I got bored with within an hour) and Morrowind (which lasted about the same length of time, for slightly different reasons).

Someone said somewhere that the discipline of working on the licence and its requirements may have upped Bethsoft's game, and I can agree with this. They've worked hard with SPECIAL, the dialogue checks, etc.

As for whether it's a Fallout game - well, I guess that depends on what a Fallout game is for you. For me - it feels like a reboot, or a revisioning (irrespective of whether the franchise needed it or not). It's very different, it's got elements of Oblivion in there... but to be honest, at the moment, it works for me. And from what I've played I'm happy for Bethsoft to develop the good things they've started with the game - the skill checks, the C&C, the multiple paths, the well-designed world, etc - take onboard some of the criticism - iffy writing sometimes, occasionally random skillchecks, presumed knowledge, claustrophobic world, etc - and give me Fallout 4.

InZaneFlea said:
For one thing, I saved Simms, and killed Burke.

I saw Burke pull a gun, hit V, blasted him in the face with my shotgun I'd gotten, and saved Simms.

Simms then turned to me and said "Thanks for saving me there, I didn't see it coming" or something to that effect.

It's a lot of small things like that that (usually) work fantastic that make this game what it is.

Like when I saw an object streak across the sky, smoke trail behind it, then the screen shook and an explosion sound. I followed the trail to a crashed object with awesome items. No spoilers because it's awesome to find yourself :P

I didn't have a problem shooting Burke (sniper rifle, "later" in the game), and Burke never tried to shoot Simms in my game.

Also "Megaton is conveniently located within 5 minutes walking distance" because it was started as trading camp for those wishing to trade with the Vault 101, and eventually became a town.

I don't think you'll access these dialogs (or many other game dialogs) unless you have some speech and/or charisma and/or karma so that the NPCs feel they can talk to you.

I've noticed the dialog system to be auto-blocking itself with
different stats-skills-perks-karma bringing out different lines or removing/adding dialog sometimes. So the dialogs looking bad and/or limited in choice are due to you character and his interactions with other NPCs (witch give you rumors/info).

What I miss from the old games are:

- multiple firing/melee/fighting modes
- weapon upgrades (or I haven't found them yet)
- (world) map travel system
- the Chrysalis Highwaymen
- marriage and being able to selling spouse to slavers (I know you can still capture and sell people)

What I would have ALSO want from a contemporary DLC/future Fallout game:

- animations/dialog animations/face animations like in Mass Effect or Bloodlines (first person dialog animations) or Half Life 2 or Mafia

- improved AI path-finding and more situation awareness scripts

- the need to eat and drink

- character morphing like in Fable II, Saints Row 2, GTA:SA

- Mass Effect weapons "stats" like accuracy-firing rate-overheating (combined with upgrades to modify/improve this)

- targeting/shooting retarded a la Mass Effect (or even Dead Space PC) combined with jamming Far Cry 2 style if the
stats-skills-perks-weapon conditions aren't favorable instead of 32 shots to head for a kill

- GHOUL type system (Soldier of Fortune series per poly detection system)

- Red Faction: Guerrilla/Bad Company destructible environments

- fully rendered world due to something like MegaTexture

- more (mutated) domesticated animals

- romance and marriage and protected-unprotected sex with consequences such as STD-pregnancy-children like in Fable II

Brother None said:
Obviously it's going to get reviewed as a game and as a Fallout game here, no matter how much it fails at the latter.

Well, I can think of three approaches to review that game:
1) Fallout game
2) PA RPG game
3) Bethesda's game

I don't want to speak for Vince, but when I was reading his 'adventures' it feels like he was thinking of it like 'Beth's game', thus comparing it to previous and showing that the progress is clear, and it got a little better since, well, Oblivion:)

I do agree that this "fallout" misses out on a lot of stuff that should have been in there. If Bethesda would have taken the effort to let some of their creators actually play the older games...They might have checked twice before releasing...

All in All its a fun game i think, i'm in about 12 hours now.

But the feeling of the orginals isn't in here...nowhere.

scypior said:
Brother None said:

Well, I can think of three approaches to review that game:
1) Fallout game
2) PA RPG game
3) Bethesda's game

I don't want to speak for Vince, but when I was reading his 'adventures' it feels like he was thinking of it like 'Beth's game', thus comparing it to previous and showing that the progress is clear, and it got a little better since, well, Oblivion:)
Bethesda could have saved themselves a lot of grief if it were named Fallout: Capital Wastelands - after all, their manual calls the game "Capital Wastelands." But it's labeled F3 because there will be no spiritual successor to Fo1/2 from BethSoft. F3 seems to fail though as a "fallout" game, but appears to be a "good" game on its own.

*Vince started out previewing F3 as a "Fallout" game and quickly gave up as "its not a fallout game" became very apparent. He then began viewing it as an RPG game and ofcourse how it compares with previous Beth products.

kikomiko said:
Woah! I know the guy "complimented" the game at the end, but I'm fairly certain I didn't read a single positive thing before that. Is he being sarcastic, or does he really think that EVERYTHING is wrong with FO3?

you obviously need to polish your reading skills. the article is funny, critical, yet still manages to create an appetizing feedback. this is the first write-up to the game, that is actually making me consider buying it.

schatzi said:
...this is the first write-up to the game, that is actually making me consider buying it.
Same here, though I'm just gonna try it first before buying it. Maybe when the prices have dropped, or when the expansions are out and they release it in a bundle coz I'm frugal that way :P

Back