NMA article: My Fallout 3 adventures!

Re: 'Meh' Effect

4too said:
'Meh' Effect

Since BG2, Bioware productions haven't tickled my interest, nor rated even a bargain bin purchase.

Mass Effect development was not on my radar until Vince's Mass Effect parody @ the Codex.
Profiling the M.E. lead character as a Jack Bauer wanna be made a synapse leap to the the moral morass that is found in Conrad's Heart Of Darkness.
Between the the f-cking and the fighting, I speculated that a well written - tri - polar dialogue path might offer a menu of command voice that *might* range from passive aggressive 'nice guy' to in your face 'collar grabbing' drill instructor.
Well. More funny when I discovered the truth of the comedic intent.
[etc]
Love your posts, 4too!

scypior said:
Brother None said:
Obviously it's going to get reviewed as a game and as a Fallout game here, no matter how much it fails at the latter.

Well, I can think of three approaches to review that game:
1) Fallout game
2) PA RPG game
3) Bethesda's game

/quote]

QFT

Vince is one of the few people I trust to be able to review the game and clearly discuss how the game stacks up in those three catagories.

Seymour the spore plant said:
Beelzebud said:
I think some of you need to tone the knee-jerk hate down, and give the game a chance.

I think most people here have already played the game by now. Not everyone will feel the same as you after trying it out, you know.

Yeah well I've seen a few people posting stuff about it, and you can tell they haven't even played the damn thing. Hence the "some of you" part of that sentence...

other than the constant harping on how unfalloutzy it is(little too fanboyish) i enjoyed the article. I thought the way he wrote it was funny, and moira is like the stupid suburban mom who wants to write a book on a subject she doesn't know.

Since I've gotten into an argument on the Codex, I'll just copy-paste what I posted there (in regard to FO3 not being a Fallout game):

"FO3 takes place 200 years after the war, yet the world looks like it's been only a few decades since the war. Working computers are everywhere (i.e. not in labs, but in abandoned buildings).

Fallout did a good job maintaining the PA atmosphere and presenting two worlds - the wasteland and the pre-war "islands" (vaults, military base, etc). Fallout 3 mixes them up carelessly. The artefacts of the long gone age are everywhere (mostly because Bethesda failed to maintain the 200 year since the war angle) and finding a working computer or a pre-war still intact location doesn't give you a sense of wonder.

Same goes for food, working cola machines, and those attached to walls medical boxes that seemed to be everywhere. Everyone wants scrap metal, yet metal is one thing this setting is loaded with. In fact, there is too much of pretty much everything in Fallout 3. Comparing FO3 to FO1, it's hard to say that FO3 takes place more than a 100 years later. In fact it looks like the other way around. It has more in common (super mutants including) with Gears of War, not Fallout.

Super mutants' explanation is laughable. They are in the game to make it a Fallout game. Seemed to have worked though, judging by the reaction.

Feral ghouls are zombies on steroids

Brotherhood turned from an almost monastery order, too small to fight the super mutants on their own or too attract too much attention to themselves into a holy order of knight-protectors keeping humanity safe and shooting at things on sight. In Fallout they didn't have enough equipment, in FO3 weapons and armor are everywhere and they leave fallen comrades in Power Armor behind.

Exploding cars, nuclear catapults, harmless nuclear explosions, etc. 'nuff said.

You can easily fill your house with brand new scientific equipment that shouldn't have been around for 200 years.

Robot-butler.

There is an organization, called The Railroad, that's dedicated to helping androids gain their independence. I'll repeat that. DEDICATED TO HELPING ROBOTS GAIN INDEPENDENCE. In a post-apocalyptic world.

Comes with a robot who managed to become human. Interesting quest overall, but it's not Fallout. "

On the West Coast thing:

"Sure. That was Bethesda's chance to make a Fallout game. To work within the setting, but do different things, come up with different problems, different factions, different ways of dealing with PA shit.

Instead we get a recycled Fallout plot, familiar conflicts (the sheriff and Burke are pale, less interesting, depth lacking versions of Killian and Gizmo), familar, but poorly executed groups: super mutants, bos, enclave, ghouls.

And the west coast thing still wouldn't explain why the game doesn't look like a 200 years after the war world."

There were alot of timeline issues with Fallout too though. Too much food still around, not enough decay for the amount of time. I always felt they should have kept the timeline a little tighter. Make it only 100 years or even less after the war.

The wooden structure thing is a good point someone else made, but still, FO1 and 2 had plenty of time/decay inconsistencies. Old robots still functioning, etc.

Some people keep complaining about the prevalence of nuke items, but the cars in the Fallout all ran on nuclear energy, so thats sort of a silly thing to go on about.

The super mutants do seem pretty common, much more so than FO1. They really were something special in that, but by Tactics, they had become far more common.

There were alot of timeline issues with Fallout too though. Too much food still around, not enough decay for the amount of time. I always felt they should have kept the timeline a little tighter. Make it only 100 years or even less after the war.

The wooden structure thing is a good point someone else made, but still, FO1 and 2 had plenty of time/decay inconsistencies. Old robots still functioning, etc.

We already were discussing this dozens of times before. Because there are some flaws and mistakes in previous Fallouts, it doesn't mean it's acceptable for FO3 to have flaws and mistakes...which are even worse btw.

And for the functioning robots- in the previous Fallouts robots weren't wondering around the westeland with no purpose to do so, and usually they had a proper baground with an explenation for why they are still functional.

Some people keep complaining about the prevalence of nuke items, but the cars in the Fallout all ran on nuclear energy, so thats sort of a silly thing to go on about.

Nuclear energy cars is a 50's idea that was made in Fallout's universe. But they didn't blow up when you shoot at them :P

The super mutants do seem pretty common, much more so than FO1.

In Fallout 3 Super Mutants are canibals, blood driven beasts.
In FO1 they were not canibals, and in FO2 some of them started living with humans just like everyone else (Broken Hills for example).
They really were something special in that, but by Tactics, they had become far more common.

Tactics was a spin-off.

Public said:
We already were discussing this dozens of times before. Because there are some flaws and mistakes in previous Fallouts, it doesn't mean it's acceptable for FO3 to have flaws and mistakes...which are even worse btw. -/quote]

Possibly, but in order to maintain some of the concepts, they progressed the timeline while still retaining many of the accepted ideas. Had they not, someone would hae gutted them for not adhering to those preiously established ideas.

And for the functioning robots- in the previous Fallouts robots weren't wondering around the westeland with no purpose to do so, and usually they had a proper baground with an explenation for why they are still functional.

Oh certainly, but the robots in FO3 tend to be found near places where they might be guarding pre-war locations.

Nuclear energy cars is a 50's idea that was made in Fallout's universe. But they didn't blow up when you shoot at them :P

I agree with that, but they did sae me from a pair of Yoa Goi (SP)

In Fallout 3 Super Mutants are canibals, blood driven beasts.
In FO1 they were not canibals, and in FO2 some of them started living with humans just like everyone else (Broken Hills for example).
I loed the Supermutant idea. I do think it has now been bastardized with their commoness. Have they explained why they are so common? I purposefully aoided the lead up to the games release so as not to get too excited.

Tactics was a spin-off.

Granted, but it was also the last decent fallout. I didn't like it that much at first, but I liked it more when I looked back at what it was.

Phil

PhillyT said:
There were alot of timeline issues with Fallout too though. Too much food still around, not enough decay for the amount of time.
The only "working" pre-war food I remember from Fallout is Nuka Cola.

PhillyT said:
Yeah, I wonder what happens to a human brain inside of a turned-off Brain Bot :D .

PhillyT said:
They ran on cold fusion not on "standard" fission, so it's something else than Fatman and nuclear explosions from shooting cars.

Oh certainly, but the robots in FO3 tend to be found near places where they might be guarding pre-war locations.

Not always. I've met actualy like 5 robots wondering around the wasteland in FO3, hostile and shooting lasers.

VDweller said:
Fallout did a good job maintaining the PA atmosphere and presenting two worlds - the wasteland and the pre-war "islands" (vaults, military base, etc). Fallout 3 mixes them up carelessly. The artefacts of the long gone age are everywhere (mostly because Bethesda failed to maintain the 200 year since the war angle) and finding a working computer or a pre-war still intact location doesn't give you a sense of wonder.

This is an excellent example of why Fallout 1 and 2 are so superior to run-of-the-mill games (like "Fallout 3"). It comes down to raw intellectual superiority in the execution.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
Public said:
Not always. I've met actualy like 5 robots wondering around the wasteland in FO3, hostile and shooting lasers.

All I encounter on the northeast portion of the map are tons of robots and mutant bears.
I think it has as much to do with level scaling as where you are. I'm level 20 and there are deathclaws and sentry bots near megaton now.

Back