OXM Podcast interviews Pete Hines on Fallout: New Vegas

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
The new OXM UK Podcast is out, interview Pete Hines on Fallout: New Vegas. The site's own extracts highlights the hardcore fan impact on hiring Obsidian: none.<blockquote>"We don't do major development deals and projects to appease any one fanbase," Pete Hines explained. "That's a really good way to go out of business fast."

Still, Hines recognises that Obsidian is a great fit for the project.

"I don't think I've talked to anybody about this, whether it's people at other publishers, developers, journalists, whatever, who haven't said it makes sense."</blockquote>Also confirmed is Inon Zur is doing the soundtrack again.

Thanks Incognito.

It's really odd how they're interview Pete Hines as if he's a developer working on the title. That already sounded odd for Fallout 3, let alone for this title.

Pete seems to confirm a level 30 cap. Bad news if you ask me but I hope they'll manage to balance it a bit better.

Nothing particularly new other than that and Zur coming back. Pete feels that the game feels very different in a visual sense, with the Vegas strip and the sorta ghost town feel outside of it.

Some pretty stupid comments here and there but it's nice at least that one of the first things Pete throws out there is that some of the OEI people actually worked on the original games. Whether people care or not is another thing, but...

But yeah, I really hope there'll be some interviews with the actual devs.

I mostly love how he can't explain karma in a way that it actually makes sense. Why does stuff no one sees me do still affect how people react to me? No clear answer.

"We don't do major development deals and projects to appease any one fanbase,"

O-o-oh, i get it now. Everything about Fallout 3 finally makes sense.

It's really odd how they're interview Pete Hines as if he's a developer working on the title. That already sounded odd for Fallout 3, let alone for this title.

He is probably the Charisma 10, Speech 100 Bethesda Golden Boy. When someone trys to take the word, Pete jumps in front of the microphone and starts answering questions while spraying money out of his sleeves in the journalists feet.

Come one, he's cute. Very dreamy.

Also, I don't know if he's just sorta blabbering there but he says that the scale (guessing that means the size of the world) will be similar to Fallout 3.

Pete isn't what I would call ugly. Also charisma isn't only how someone looks like. I would rate him CH 7 or 8 or so + high speech skill. Beside this, it doesn't fit the topic. :p

Level cap 30 isn't that bad in my eyes. In fact, I like it. Of course, depends on overal balancing for exp from critters and exp from quests, etc... But as long as it isn't possible to make a jack of all trades character, without silly tricks, I am fine with that.

A lot of it was "Errr...", "Ugghhhhh...", "Ummm...", "Erm..." and "Uhh..." :lol:

What I really didn't like is how much they kept talking about multiplayer, it's like they were encouraging Bethesda to do it in their next Fallout title. Something like Fallout 3 Multiplayer would be incredibly retarded and unbalanced anyway.

Myron Rolle said:
Also confirmed is Inon Zur is doing the soundtrack again.
Well, I hope he does some compositions closer to Tactics than Fallout 3 at least. :?

Myron Rolle said:
The new OXM UK Podcast is out, interview Pete Hines on Fallout: New Vegas. The site's own extracts highlights the hardcore fan impact on hiring Obsidian: none.<blockquote>"We don't do major development deals and projects to appease any one fanbase," Pete Hines explained. "That's a really good way to go out of business fast."</blockquote>

Vats. Trolling.

My favorite part is where he provides a counter rationale for going to Obsidian: haphazardly throwing a prized franchise around the development market is a great get-rich-quick scheme the likes of which the world hasn't seen since the bond carry trade.

...and this...

"I don't think I've talked to anybody about this, whether it's people at other publishers, developers, journalists, whatever, who haven't said it makes sense."

...isn't that what they told Ted Kennedy when he decided to stop drinking?

Khan FurSainty said:
He is probably the Charisma 10, Speech 100 Bethesda Golden Boy. When someone trys to take the word, Pete jumps in front of the microphone and starts answering questions while spraying money out of his sleeves in the journalists feet.

I'm sorry...are you accusing Pete Hines of bribing journalists? Really?

Ion Zur.

yeah, well it just so happened that I wrote a commentary on his score while he was figuring out how to do Fallout3. I was on his front page for about 1-2 years. He liked my analysis and pretty raw freakin criticsm.

he is a cool guy but the man who did Morrowind, Shoule, Korean dude, is a better guy for fantasy rpg. I would make a guess that Shoule played real rpg's when he was younger or else was a reader of novels of such. Zur admitted to me that he was not at all knowledgeable about the Fallout universe. He said that he wasnt informed that it wasnt a mysterious sort of epic adventure and that it actually was about beating a 50 year old whore to death with a pipe and taking her squeezins. I do not know how exactly our convo's changed the composition, but he was taken back by the unknown to him fanbase that was more passionate about this than any other project he worked on. It was fascinating to see how

FUCKING RETARDED THE MOTHER FUCKING COMPANY WAS

that they didnt inform Zur of the project he was on or the music and genre of the past works. They basically asked for a certain thing to be done which he accepted as he got a heap of cash. It was completely different than he would have done if he investigated the original series.

Oddly, the term "original series" is a false dichotomy. There is no "original" it is just, the series. original means you have no clue what you are doing or how the previous segments were created. WHenever someone uses terms like "Based" "Original" "Classic" "Time Honoured" you know it's going to be a heap of shit.

The score was too repetitive for the level of complexity of the piece. Morrowind repeated often but was always refreshing on the loop. In other words, it was creatively complex vs conventional and academic. THis is why you can listen to Baroque and Beethoven pieces over and over but Mozart pieces for quartets wax a bit mentally.

(of course, Mozart's opera's are completely creative and free, which is why if you listen to Queen of the night it makes you want to screw lusty virgins by the barrel and slash the faces of foes with a cutlass)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvuKxL4LOqc&feature=related

that's the shit, home-slices. First a sick speech and the PSYCHO Diana Damrau. I so would twinkie pop my pants if I ever got to meet this lady.

I dont have any issues with a level cap as long it has a meaning its been a while but Fallout 1 had a level cap as well no?.

But for example in Fallout 3 it was easy to get a character that was almost good in everything, or good enough to talk his way out of all situations (the few you encounter anyway ...) and strill shoot what ever is moving without any penalty. So the Einstein version of John Rambo. In such a setting the level cap is useless.

If you have actualy to think which skill to max. a level cap can be a good thing cause you might want to replay it again for the case you can get other solutions with other skills. I also hope that we will see the limit in skills again with 300 and not 100 like in F3 ...

Crni Vuk said:
I dont have any issues with a level cap as long it has a meaning its been a while but Fallout 1 had a level cap as well no?.

But for example in Fallout 3 it was easy to get a character that was almost good in everything, or good enough to talk his way out of all situations (the few you encounter anyway ...) and strill shoot what ever is moving without any penalty. So the Einstein version of John Rambo. In such a setting the level cap is useless.

If you have actualy to think which skill to max. a level cap can be a good thing cause you might want to replay it again for the case you can get other solutions with other skills. I also hope that we will see the limit in skills again with 300 and not 100 like in F3 ...

In Fallout it was hard to reach the cap before blowing up the Master and his army. You had to go everywhere, you had to do all or almost all quests. In Fallout 3 the 99 lvl cap from Fallout 2 would have made much more sense, because of all the exp you were getting. Or just lowering the exp value. Both would have worked fine.

They can leave the skills limit at 100 if they use a low level cap and also make the intelligence skill points you get even to the intelligence you have. I mean 5 intelligence = 5 skill points, 3 intelligence = 3 skill points. Or simply making the skills more expensive as you invest more points in to them.

Myron Rolle said:
"We don't do major development deals and projects to appease any one fanbase," Pete Hines explained. "That's a really good way to go out of business fast."

Wow...just wow. That's up there with the lead developers of 4th ed D&D saying "if you use noncombat skills while playing D&D, you're playing the game wrong" (in reference to item crafting skills and the like).

Cause god knows the way for a studio to go out of buisness fast is to appeal to their fanbase and produce the kind of games the customers want.

If he thinks that appealing to the Fallout fanbase is a good way to go out of business fast, then why did Bethesda acquire the Fallout franchise? :|

It would explain what did they use the straps holding their upper lips for.
I've always wondered why those straps are there. Did I miss something in the games?

I don't think those straps serve a special reason.
Also - laughing about someones face/appearance is a bit immature, isn't it?

Things to do after installing New Vegas:

• - changing Inon Zur's pseudo-orchestra soundtrack to original Fallout ambiente soundtrack

And that's pretty much it for the moment.

Back