PC Gamer gets Fallout: New Vegas world exclusive!

"Armageddon never looked so good." This gives me a bad feeling, I'm praying that this game is better than F3 but I get the feeling it will be the same exact thing: "OMFG ITZ SO AWSOM I RED ABOUT IT ON MTV.COM IT LUKS SO KOOL!!!111!!!11"

cogar66 said:
"Armageddon never looked so good." This gives me a bad feeling, I'm praying that this game is better than F3 but I get the feeling it will be the same exact thing: "OMFG ITZ SO AWSOM I RED ABOUT IT ON MTV.COM IT LUKS SO KOOL!!!111!!!11"

MTV hasn't been relevant for about two decades.

I used to have a subscription to PCGamer back when it was a reputable mag. I honestly think that that all ended when Gary Whitta left. I actually still have the PCGamer with the Fallout 2 review in it. I'll tell you what, though - I'll buy a brand new three-year subscription if they explain why the Stratosphere is in New Vegas when it was constructed in the 1990s...

The world of Fallout may be based in the 1950s, but that doesn't mean the world remained in stasis until 2077. That things in the "Fallout Future" may have coincided with real events isn't out of the question at all, especially not when it comes to landmarks.

I agree, but I seem to recall some press releases saying not to expect certain Vegas attractions to be present in the Fallout timeline version of the area, and the fact that the Stratosphere, which is not only a major attraction, but a recent one, would be included bothered me.

cunningandvalor said:
I used to have a subscription to PCGamer back when it was a reputable mag. I honestly think that that all ended when Gary Whitta left. I actually still have the PCGamer with the Fallout 2 review in it. I'll tell you what, though - I'll buy a brand new three-year subscription if they explain why the Stratosphere is in New Vegas when it was constructed in the 1990s...

The "easy" answer would be that this is Vegas as imagined by '50s people looking to the future. The notion of a futuristic-looking domed building in the Vegas skyline, with neon lights and high-rise architecture, is not a far-fetched one if you're a '50s sci-fi writer/artist projecting what the future might look like.

It's not the Stratosphere, it's a somewhat similar but not identical fictional building called the Lucky 38.

cunningandvalor said:

The world of Fallout may be based in the 1950s, but that doesn't mean the world remained in stasis until 2077. That things in the "Fallout Future" may have coincided with real events isn't out of the question at all, especially not when it comes to landmarks.

I must have missed the news post about the Lucky 38, thanks Ausir for clearing that up. I guess that makes sense because Bob Stupak (the guy who designed the Stratosphere) was born in the early 40s, so he would've had an opportunity to propose his ideas as the timelines diverged - And if not I'm sure someone else would've thought it up. It does look an awful lot like the Stratosphere, though...

Here's a comparison of the Stratosphere and Lucky 38:

1r6993.jpg

I definitely see the difference. I personally can't wait to read about the history of the Lucky 38. If you look at Google's image index of the Vegas skyline, it appears as though the Lucky 38 from the recent trailer is in roughly the same location as the Stratosphere in our timeline. In addition to that, Bob Stupak apparently received funding from investors from across the country (this is according to a wikipedia page, so may not be accurate) to build the Stratosphere and during the 1990s wasn't the country divided into thirteen commonwealths or something in the Fallout timeline? I'm just wondering where Nevada would get the capital to build such a structure, especially considering the events of the timeline. Can't wait to see it explained though! :)

cogar66 said:

Other peoples' reactions to the game isn't really a great way for you to discern it's inherent quality.

Starseeker said:
Actually, the first thing I thought of when seeing that image was Jin-Roh.

Hmm, given STALKER: CoP review is one of the articles, I'm almost positive that's a STALKER cover.

Brother None said:
What? We've already seen 3 previews from the UK? You fool, didn't you hear the news, the UK doesn't count as a part of the world! Apparently!

Give it a rest, redcoats, you lost your status when you lost the revolutionary war.

Autoduel76 said:
Brother None said:
What? We've already seen 3 previews from the UK? You fool, didn't you hear the news, the UK doesn't count as a part of the world! Apparently!

Give it a rest, redcoats, you lost your status when you lost the revolutionary war.

Old fashioned Patriotism +4 critrate

Back