PC Gamer gets Fallout: New Vegas world exclusive!

To make what I'm talking about clearer...

Look at the pre-war buildings. You know those funny braced columns and (occasionally) the large decorative heads on the ones that aren't brick? They're based on street level scenes from Blade Runner.

Yeah, the games have a big zeerust influence, and it's a huge part of what makes them unique and fun, but it's nowhere near the sole influence on the franchise's aesthetic design, storyline or setting. To say that EVERYTHING in the games has to be rooted in zeerust just seems really short-sighted and frankly kinda lame since a lot of the cooler touches like the look of the supermutants don't really have a basis in it.

Huh, I haven't heard it called ZeeRust before.

Also, you should note (again) that Blade Runner was also based on the same retro-futuristic, art-deco architecture Fallout was based on. The core of the design was always the '50s retro-futuristic look, and there are a lot of influences that speak to that look. Blade Runner is one of those influences, and it fits perfectly with the '50s motif.

Also, the Super Mutant look is based for a large part on '50s comics and portrayals of monsters in those comics.

Sander said:
Huh, I haven't heard it called ZeeRust before.

Also, you should note (again) that Blade Runner was also based on the same retro-futuristic, art-deco architecture Fallout was based on. The core of the design was always the '50s retro-futuristic look, and there are a lot of influences that speak to that look. Blade Runner is one of those influences, and it fits perfectly with the '50s motif.

Also, the Super Mutant look is based for a large part on '50s comics and portrayals of monsters in those comics.
Art Deco would matter... if it were actually from the fifties, and not the twenties and thirties. And if bland modernism and art nouveau weren't a lot more prevalent in the art design of blade runner. Or if any of the elements I mentioned that were lifted for fallout were art deco.

But it doesn't!

You do realize it's your word, Random Internet Person, against the word of the actual developers, right?

I think what Griz is trying to say is that if you're going to make claims that contradict the developers then you need to provide comparison shots to support your claim.

DemonNick said:
Art Deco would matter... if it were actually from the fifties, and not the twenties and thirties. And if bland modernism and art nouveau weren't a lot more prevalent in the art design of blade runner. Or if any of the elements I mentioned that were lifted for fallout were art deco.

But it doesn't!
Art Deco didn't just disappear when the clock struck midnight, on the 31st of december 1939. Blade Runner may have been influenced by modernism and art nouveau, but those by and large (with a few exceptions, like those heads) aren't design elements that Fallout picked up.

Fallout's basis remains in '50s retro-futurism. That includes art deco, it also includes a lot of googie architecture, and it also includes some art nouveau.

Sander said:
Fallout's basis remains in '50s retro-futurism. That includes art deco, it also includes a lot of googie architecture, and it also includes some art nouveau.

Where exactly would one find Googie in Fallout and Fallout 2?

New Reno?

alec said:
Where exactly would one find Googie in Fallout and Fallout 2?

New Reno?
It's mostly there in the form of signs, yes. There are some isolated elements in architecture, but none really clearly identifiable.

Back