PC Gamer gets Fallout: New Vegas world exclusive!

el_jefe_of_ny said:
Autoduel76 said:
Brother None said:
What? We've already seen 3 previews from the UK? You fool, didn't you hear the news, the UK doesn't count as a part of the world! Apparently!

Give it a rest, redcoats, you lost your status when you lost the revolutionary war.

Old fashioned Patriotism +4 critrate

I find it weirder he called someone from the Netherlands British.

Alphadrop said:
Lots o' Crap

Bah I call Brits Dutch all the time, 1: to play up the Sterotype of the Igonarant American. and 2: It really messes with them.

And to be fair. The Redcoats lost their Status after they won World War 2.

Jesse Heinig said:
cunningandvalor said:
I used to have a subscription to PCGamer back when it was a reputable mag. I honestly think that that all ended when Gary Whitta left. I actually still have the PCGamer with the Fallout 2 review in it. I'll tell you what, though - I'll buy a brand new three-year subscription if they explain why the Stratosphere is in New Vegas when it was constructed in the 1990s...

The "easy" answer would be that this is Vegas as imagined by '50s people looking to the future. The notion of a futuristic-looking domed building in the Vegas skyline, with neon lights and high-rise architecture, is not a far-fetched one if you're a '50s sci-fi writer/artist projecting what the future might look like.

Exactly. I think a lot of people forget that whole "Retro-Future" vibe that the original Fallouts had. They weren't set in the 50's. They were set in a make-believe retro-future.

Think of it as an alternate universe.

Sarcasm of course, Ausir. Because honestly, gasmask+leather coat has a "stalker look" more than it has a "fallout look".

Well, it's pretty much how Tycho's outfit is described in FO1, even if not shown.

Ausir said:
Sarcasm of course, Ausir. Because honestly, gasmask+leather coat has a "stalker look" more than it has a "fallout look".

Well, it's pretty much how Tycho's outfit is described in FO1, even if not shown.

This time 1000 plus 2.

More people need to pay attention.

But Trenchcoats are so bad ass!

People have this strange idea that EVERYTHING in fallout has to be anchored in a fifties retrofuture aesthetic. It's really silly considering how little in the the first two games actually was anything like that. Aesthetically it has more in common with Blade Runner (the pre-war buildings are based on street level shots from blade runner) or Max Max.

Ausir said:

it's pretty pointless to try to connect that look with a certain franchise becuase it's pretty overdone in PA settings by now. I'm almost more surprised not to see trenchcoats and gasmasks in a PA setting.

of course someone was first, but it was neither Fallout nor S.T.A.L.K.E.R., that's for sure.

That's something that is bugging me, btw. For me, Fallout has nothing really to do with gasmasks and the only gasmask-esque thing you could see in Fallout 1 and 2 was the power helmet from the power armors.

Maybe it's just me, but I think "real" gasmasks don't really fit the game.

Wonder how that gasmask dude will be used ingame.

Lexx said:
That's something that is bugging me, btw. For me, Fallout has nothing really to do with gasmasks and the only gasmask-esque thing you could see in Fallout 1 and 2 was the power helmet from the power armors.

Exactly what I was pointing out. Sure, we have it somewhere in the text description, but it has never been the "look" associated w/ FO. FO is tight vault suits on muscular people, giant power armor, Mad-Max raiders and 50s ads.

On the other hand i find it nice to see them implement stuff that existed only in text descriptions. It's very far from the "artistic" liberties Bethesda took when designing fire ants and crab people.

I always wanted to see how a Ranger would look like if Fallout had todays' graphics, and i think they're doing an impressive job. I don't care if it resembles Stalker, haven't played that one.

People have this strange idea that EVERYTHING in fallout has to be anchored in a fifties retrofuture aesthetic. It's really silly considering how little in the the first two games actually was anything like that. Aesthetically it has more in common with Blade Runner (the pre-war buildings are based on street level shots from blade runner) or Max Max.

Blade Runner? You mean that 50's style retrofitted film based on a postapocalyptic short story of K.Dick ?

As for the mask, I don't care as long as they justify it's use. Like the Ncr troops are regulary attacked by XXX faction that use gaz or chemical weapon, forcing the NCR officials to equip their army with such mask.
If it's just for the +5 charisma, then it sucks...
But the trenchcoats are kinda mandatory...

^ Well, yeah, you have a point. It's just that thus far there've been few places in Fallout that'd make a gasmask a useful investment.

Grayswandir said:

Blade Runner? You mean that 50's style retrofitted film based on a postapocalyptic short story of K.Dick ?
What was at all retrofitted about Blade Runner? I'm seriously curious here, because the film had a lot more to do with 1980's orientalism than anything to do with the fifties. Unless the fifties suddenly have a monopoly on suits, shirts and ties in colours and patterns that were popular in the eighties and late seventies or architecture styles like art nouveau, brutalism, and various shades of modernism that aren't explicably tied to the fifties in any way.

Also Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was a novel, not a short story. Also, while it was post-apocalyptic, it came out in the late sixties, and was more informed by sixties pop ecology than anything to come out of the fifties.

But you clearly already knew all that or otherwise you wouldn't have been so smug.

Blame me. I was parasitized by image from total recall tv show, (which was out after fallout), that had some very fallout like images.
My deepest apologies to you sir, for having been smug without being able to afford it! :D

But then I don't see fallout being that much inspired by blade runner, despite the obvious .223, that was an easter egg weapon of fallout 1. Whats so 80's orientalism about fallout? Aradesh, maybe? But that's all. A fallout with a high Blade runner inspiration would have been more cyberpunk-like.

The architecture of the game is much more inspired by Gotham city than anything else and a lot of other element as well (the jumpsuits, the hulk, the nuclear paranoia/propaganda posters etc, etc...)
http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/images/1139.jpg
But I am going to watch Blade tonight to check exactly the streets levels.
Point is, Fallout is 50's not 70's or 80's. There might be some element from other era, bixing too much different genre would dissolve fallout's identity.

As for the retro aspect of blade runner, i guess it comes from the use of elements from the film noir, that had its golden age in the 50's, not specifically from the esthetic of the film.

The game isn't inpired by Gotham City, the game and Gotham City are both inspired by the same retro (mostly '50s) architecture.

Also, we have developer quotes from when the game was still in development explaining that their inspiration has always been a '50s style look at the future.

Actually, not always. Some of the design was already done when Leon Boyarsky joined the team and came up with the retro 1950s look.

Ausir said:
Actually, not always. Much of the design was already done when Leon Boyarsky joined the team and came up with the retro 1950s look.

*sighs*

Seriously, Ausir, you need to kick your addiction to correcting people. You're talking to the person who wrote this.

In the long run it won't much matter in any case. Nowadays, if you want to have a seriously Fallout-styled game in the fashion of the first PC titles, it's probably in the hands of mod communities; while it's possible that someone will do turn-based iso, doing that with the Fallout IP is unlikely to be one of Bethesda's projects, I think. Though it would be a little curious to see something like Final Fantasy Tactics or King's Bounty with the cross of some RPG elements and hex-map turn-based tactical combat.
I do trust that to some degree the "spirit" of Fallout will live on in New Vegas, but I consider Chris Avellone the best RPG writer in the biz (as a matter of personal opinion).

Back