Predict the next franchise to be rehashed.

Guiltyofbeingtrite

Vault Dweller
We've seen Fallout, Deus Ex, XCom, Syndicate, and probably countless others. What next?

I'm sure someone will make a Dune FPS, maybe an MMO (which could be fun), but I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet.

Best thread idea evar!

I dunno, though. Bold guess: Duke Nukem. It's gotta happen sometime. Seriously.

there are many other old franchises being resurrected outside of the PC world. Kid Icarus is one example.

it'll keep happening and sooner or later most franchises that were once popular will likely be resurrected one way or another. can't really think of any more of my old favorites right now, as I think most of them (or all) have already been picked up. what remains is Baldur's Gate but from what I recall, it's already in the hands of someone and there's talk about a sequel.

aenemic said:
what remains is Baldur's Gate but from what I recall, it's already in the hands of someone and there's talk about a sequel.
Oh please no, Baldur's gate ended for god's sake. What else can it happen, the ending can't allow anything else!

I'm calling MDK for resurrection. And Dungeon Keeper as well. Not that I would like to see sequels, but they're a potential candidate/victim.

Dario ff said:
aenemic said:
what remains is Baldur's Gate but from what I recall, it's already in the hands of someone and there's talk about a sequel.
Oh please no, Baldur's gate ended for god's sake. What else can it happen, the ending can't allow anything else!

I'm not sure about the details, but there was a 3rd game planned so there was definitely more story to be told. what direction the new owner will take is up to anyone's guess however.

Dario ff said:
Baldur’s Gate the FPS…I’m licking my lips already. :roll: What about Arcanum the FPS…it could work maybe if the game came with the right drugs to numb the mind. But in all seriousness I want a Kingpin sequel…this isn’t a joke, Kingpin is one of my favorite games. :twisted:

aenemic said:
Dario ff said:
aenemic said:

I'm not sure about the details, but there was a 3rd game planned so there was definitely more story to be told. what direction the new owner will take is up to anyone's guess however.

Who needs story anyway? There would be asploding heads in BG: return of the awesome uber godchild.

Based on the games listed by guilty the locical next step would be jagged alliance (2). Because i think out there is someone hell bent on the idea to fuck up old, good franchises.

A new Battle Isle game could be possible. Incubation as first person shooter. But I doubt that Blue Byte will pick up the battle isle franchise in the next time. Also they most likely would need to outsource shooter development, as they don't really have experience in this area. But I think it's unlikely.

MDK could be possible too and it doesn't sound hard to make.

There is already a Dungeon Keeper MMO out there, but at the moment just for chinese servers IIRC.

Also, wouldn't it be total "cool" if there would be a deep, story driven, on Choice & Consequences and turnbased combat built RPG in the "Unreal" Setting, or with the Duke Nukem Franchise? Best in Isometric Perspective!

:ugly:

aenemic said:
I'm not sure about the details, but there was a 3rd game planned

Didn't this become the Throne of Bhaal expansion? I could be wrong...

Back on topic... I'm gonna guess (and hope) Might and Magic!

jorj82 said:
aenemic said:
I'm not sure about the details, but there was a 3rd game planned

Didn't this become the Throne of Bhaal expansion? I could be wrong...

yes, I've heard something like that as well. but I've also heard that it would be a stand-alone sequel. below is from wikipedia - I know, not the most trustworthy source, but I remember reading these things elsewhere before so there's likely some truth in them:

Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound (code named Jefferson and FR6) was mentioned in early 2001 as a new game in the Baldur's Gate series to be made by Black Isle Studios using a completely new 3D engine.[3]

The Black Hound was originally going to be a departure from the high-powered epic of the Bhaalspawn saga to a low-key, roleplaying plot. With protagonists progressing to around level four at the end of BIS' typically enormous campaign and a hard cap at level eight, gameplay was refocussed to a flat and wide adventure emphasizing quests over combat. In fact, the game was only titled "Baldur's Gate" due to Interplay having lost the general D&D license to Atari, but still retaining the right to make "Baldur's Gate" and "Icewind Dale" branded D&D games (the same reason as for BGDA's title.)[3]

The game appeared to be canceled in 2003, just before its engine was re-purposed for Black Isle's ill-fated Van Buren Fallout 3 project. Subsequently, Josh Sawyer, one of the designers of the canceled game, resumed development of The Black Hound as a module for Neverwinter Nights 2.[3] As of 2009, this remains a side project for Sawyer, who works at Obsidian Entertainment.[4]

However, in April of 2004 IGN released information that a Baldur's Gate III is in the works. Any other information has, for now, not been released. There is no solid evidence as to whether or not the game is actually in development, although it will likely go ahead due to its commercial potential.[5]

In the January 2008 issue of PC Gamer UK, the editor claims that he knows that Baldur's Gate III is indeed being worked on - this has further been reiterated in the January 2009 edition, though, again, any more information is unlikely to surface until later this year, possibly even 2010. [citation needed]

On December 2, 2008, Atari stated in a press conference that the Baldur's Gate series (among others) would be revisited after 2009.[6]

On February 7, 2010, in an interview about Mass Effect 2, IGN asked Ray Muzyka of Bioware about the future of Baldur's Gate, noting the sighting of Boo in the Citadel souvenir shop. He replied, 'Hey, that's just a space hamster. Boo's brother. And again, you'll have to talk to Atari about that, they've got the license.'[7]

Heh, Planescape first person shooter. Or something like The Hunted.

A new Commander Keen game would be pretty cool, I think id Software doesn't find it profitable enough though.

[spoiler:8c7f1e903d]Unless they turn it into an FPS.[/spoiler:8c7f1e903d]

The Black Hound was not an actual BG sequel, it was JE Sawyer's baby and was originally going to be a separate thing, but Interplay lost the rights to publish anything D&D related that did not have "BG" in the title. And it never had anything in common with BG aside from FR setting and the title.

Ausir said:
The Black Hound was not an actual BG sequel, it was JE Sawyer's baby and was originally going to be a separate thing, but Interplay lost the rights to publish anything D&D related that did not have "BG" in the title. And it never had anything in common with BG aside from FR setting and the title.

makes sense. thanks for clearing that up.

Back