PSM praises writing of Fallout: New Vegas

^ Well, in Sorrow's example, it depends on the legal definition of "sponsored". I mean, surely, treating a judge to a nice vacation without any demands isn't really bribery, right? Right?

Ausdoerrt said:
Being able to explain it makes it any better how? They're still doing a shitty job.
Like I said, it’s inevitable that millions of people would have more problems than one person. I agree that reviews aren’t very good, and I’ve got no idea how FO3 won multiple awards for writing, but the whole “Rybicki maneuver” thing is sort of stupid, and it doesn’t even fit here.

Ausdoerrt said:
And TBH, I'd say if I as a casual gamer can come up with a few specific issues in the first few hours, then the professional reviewer with a lot more experience should do that twice as fast.
I question whether typical messageboard dwellers do much better in a limited time frame. I recently tracked the initial reaction to Dragon Age on the RPG Codex, and the early critics were profoundly inept. And I’m not just talking about people missing problems. Many of the problems that were found were pretty far off.

Sander said:
These are professionals, and they get paid plenty to do their jobs. They don't do it and that isn't news to anyone, but that doesn't mean we can't point it out.
I’m not a professional chef, but I suspect that I’m a better cook than a lot of the kids that work at Taco Bell. Even so, I’m not going to spend a lot of time bitching about the fact that an 89-cent chalupa doesn’t taste like filet mignon. It's so obvious that it seems more than a bit naive to complain about it.

Sander said:
If you read the Fallout 3 reviews (and before that the Oblivion reviews) you'd think the writers were the best thing to happen to gaming since pong.
I suspect that neither of us read the PSM3 review of Fallout 3. So, I've got no idea what they said, but the suggestion here is that they are now noting a criticism that was ignored previously. However, there's no criticism here.

I think you're misinterpreting the whole “Rybicki maneuver” thing, it's supposed to be looking at general trends, not specific examples. Although I'm sure if someone cared enough, specific examples could be found too.

I’m not a professional chef, but I suspect that I’m a better cook than a lot of the kids that work at Taco Bell. Even so, I’m not going to spend a lot of time bitching about the fact that an 89-cent chalupa doesn’t taste like filet mignon. It's so obvious that it seems more than a bit naive to complain about it.

If the kid at Taco Bell was acting like he was serving me a filet mignon, I would, because that's outright ridiculous. Exactly what's happening here.

Ausdoerrt said:
I think you're misinterpreting the whole “Rybicki maneuver” thing, it's supposed to be looking at general trends, not specific examples. Although I'm sure if someone cared enough, specific examples could be found too.
I get what you are saying, but I’m not really satisfied with truthiness. And it doesn't seem to fit this situation at all.

If the kid at Taco Bell was acting like he was serving me a filet mignon, I would, because that's outright ridiculous. Exactly what's happening here.
I definitely can't agree with that. In general, the gaming press are not a very pretentious bunch. I don’t think Gamespot is going to apply for a Pulitzer any time soon. They are pretty low on the journalism totem pole, and I’m sure most know that and the rest don’t even care.

This topic is dumb, you are all dumb-

Of course they will say the writing is improved, it was the main point of criticism amongst longstanding series fans. The franchise is under development. That was the point of giving development to a studio known for writing.

The writing awards for Fallout 3 were based on the "emergent" narrative elements, primarily the exploration and the non-linearity of the tertiary quests. "Writing" is a big tent and 2009 had a low turn out.

Journalism has always been and always will be about conflict of interest. This is common to all industries and even noncommercial entities like the government (if that distinction exists). Get over it, you morons.

So I guess they found a way around the 80 character limit. Sounds good, even if the bar's set low :)

The whole idea of exclusive previews from magazines is a joke in itself.

Magazines should perhaps offer seasoned writing, analyzing games more deeply and critically, instead of competing for exclusive coverage. We can get the quick and easy stuff on the web.

How does the publisher choose which magazine should provide exclusive coverage? Even if no ugly business was known to be going on, it's still obvious that the publisher will always choose to release the information to a magazine that will maximize their profits, and naturally there's never going to be exclusive previews that are critical.

No surprise here, Obsidian has always been good at writing, look at Kotor 2, one of the best game stories I've ever seen, unfortunately they didn't have time to finish the game and it was rushed into production, I really hope that doesn't happen here.

Crni Vuk said:
Jesse Heinig said:
Ravager69 said:
I'm not worried about Chris, I'm worried about the timeframe he's working in.

Presumably the KOTOR2 experience has provided Obsidian with some tools built out of crisis time. I expect they have learned a bit from that history!
Letz hope they did cause I quite liked Kotor but sadly you can feel on many locations that it was limited or that some parts of the story have been cut out. I think there is even fan projects that try to work on that but I cant remember any of them right now...
Project Gizka is working on the TSLRP or The Sith Lords Restoration Project for more info go here: http://www.team-gizka.org/

ah ,yes now I remember. Though they work on it already for some time. I doubt that we will see a release in the future. Vapoware if you ask me

Grimhound said:
Silencer said:
Wait, didn't Fallout 3 receive awards for exquisite writing?

They say this game is even better? Holy crap! Lions!

nTQYE.jpg

"YOU BETCHA!"

Excuse me... I have to go carve a portion of my brain out to forget that character again.

that's the only character I liked in the ENTIRE game. I can't think of anything else that made me smile.

I hope we can kill children, that would make me smile again.

Back