R.I.P. Fallout (the one without political discussions)

The Dutch Ghost

Grouchy old man of NMA
Reposting JO'geran's post here.

Chris Avellone has stated that he doesn't think any future Fallout games will be made by anyone other than Bethesda. He seems to be a trustworthy source on the subject, I trust he knows what he's talking about.

Source: https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/713140991121711104

Bad news guys, New Vegas was the last Fallout Game ever made. We're never getting any more. :(

Rest in Peace, Chosen Series.:puppy-dog:

This time stay on topic people!

So since JE Sawyer's the new design leader at Obsidian I'd say that the chances of another Obsidian Fallout have gone further down, he's made comments before concerning Fallout and they've generally been about how the concept is outdated.
Of course that could mean we'll get a contemporary Fallout inspired game in the vein of PoE, which isn't the worst scenario in the world.

Alright so back to the topic at hand. Gun Control, I think that .....

K in all seriousness tho
before concerning Fallout and they've generally been about how the concept is outdated.
Of course that could mean we'll get a contemporary Fallout inspired game in the vein of PoE, which isn't the worst scenario in the world.
The problem is, I've grown attached to the Fallout Universe specifically. I love the whole retro-futurism, and the continuing universe. While I would be 100% fine with them making a Post-Apoc with a completely different set of factions/creatures/ect., I would want it to have the whole Fallout vibe, and perhaps be indirectly applyable to the Fallout universe, in such a way that it could be considered part of the lore unofficially.

While I would be 100% fine with them making a Post-Apoc with a completely different set of factions/creatures/ect., I would want it to have the whole Fallout vibe, and perhaps be indirectly applicable to the Fallout universe, in such a way that it could be considered part of the lore unofficially.
Wouldn't be amazing if they did that in this hypothetical pseudo-Fallout game; set it 290 years after the apocalypse, the New Californian Democratic Republic (so as not to infringe on copyright) has become a totalitarian state and you the "insert catchy hero phrase" have to choose whether this faction gets to continue its reign of terror or, whether it's replaced by a new faction.
That's not an unrealistic scenario considering what we know of the NCR in New Vegas, they just have to differentiate it enough so as not to infringe on copyright and, in order to be sufficiently original.

Wouldn't be amazing if they did that in this hypothetical pseudo-Fallout game; set it 290 years after the apocalypse, the New Californian Democratic Republic (so as not to infringe on copyright) has become a totalitarian state and you the "insert catchy hero phrase" have to choose whether this faction gets to continue its reign of terror or, whether it's replaced by a new faction.
That's not an unrealistic scenario considering what we know of the NCR in New Vegas, they just have to differentiate it enough so as not to infringe on copyright and, in order to be sufficiently original.
That's not what I'm suggesting at all. I'm suggesting making it Retro-Future, and setting it an area far away from anywhere already shown.

I don't think they would do that, Obsidian generally set their games in their backyard right (assuming the game uses the real world as a template)? But yeah, retro-futurism is definitely one of the cooler parts of Fallout, would be a shame to lose that.

Alright so back to the topic at hand. Gun Control, I think that .....

K in all seriousness tho

The problem is, I've grown attached to the Fallout Universe specifically. I love the whole retro-futurism, and the continuing universe. While I would be 100% fine with them making a Post-Apoc with a completely different set of factions/creatures/ect., I would want it to have the whole Fallout vibe, and perhaps be indirectly applyable to the Fallout universe, in such a way that it could be considered part of the lore unofficially.
There comes a time when you need to face reality and accept that what you love has been ruined and move on. We'll always have the old games to play through. Fallout, even if Obsidian did get another stab at it, would be held back by Bethesda. It'd never be allowed total freedom in how to be designed by those who really know how Fallout's supposed to work. All you'll get is the best out of a bad situation. Like eating a plate of shit and enjoying the occasional undigested bit of corn. It's better to move on to a different plate.

I'm also very attached to the Fallout series and that's why I don't want more "best out of a bad situation"-games. It's either a fullhearted Fallout game or nothing for me. I'm tired of compromises and shit. I want a pure Fallout game and that ain't gonna happen with Bethesda pulling the strings.

I apologise sincerely for the flame war on gun control I started.

I think a new version of Fallout 1 and/or on the gamebryo engine would be cool, not creation though, since I just don't like it.
What do you guys think?

There is actually a fan project going around to remake Fallout 1 on the Gamebryo/Fallout New Vegas engine.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fallout-1-The-Story-development-diary/551016521590582?ref=hl

Well I wouldn't choose Gamebryo or Creation as an engine and would much rather see the series return to its isometric roots.
Had First Person games such as Fallout New Vegas been a spin off series I could have lived with that as running next to the main series.
Heck, had FOBOS been good (lore, design, and not got Van Buren cancelled) I could even live with that.
Before Bethesda got its hands on the franchise I think the Fallout universe was more than suitable for spin off.

But regarding your question, I would welcome a well done Total Conversion of fan made expansion to Fallout New Vegas but outside the FO1 that may be good I don't see many good ones in development.

Using Fallout 4 as a basis is a dead end.

Unless they get to make Wasteland 3, I think I'd rather see Obsidian tackle with a completely new near future dystopian sci-fi setup that was pre- rather than post-apocalyptic and that explores how the inevitable escalates (not necessarily nuclear war, it could well subtly reflect modern day global fears and dangers and build its fiction on that basis), than have them try and forcibly mimic Fallout and/or Wasteland.

A Fallout-like game that explores the human condition on his march towards and within his own inevitable demise needs not a wasteland nor a nuclear disaster, nor even the retro-future (as fun as it was when Fallout was in its prime - it hasn't been much after Fallout 2), just a similiarly good overall design that tries to emulate a tabletop gameplay experience in rich and interesting ways within a scenario that provokes and feeds thought and imagination. Not necessarily the easiest of tasks, but the world is full of stories to be told for an ingenious and creative storyteller, and most videogame stories are just repainted mcguffin cliches anyway so there is a lot of untainted land to conquer there.

Follow the premise of Fiat Voluntas Tua from A Canticle for Leibowitz, where humanity had long ago survived one cataclysmic event entirely of its own doing, but are back on the path headed for wide scale destruction. This second time, the end may come through different means, so the looming danger is dissimilar and does not incite memories and history of the first apocalypse.

Last edited:
There is actually a fan project going around to remake Fallout 1 on the Gamebryo/Fallout New Vegas engine.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fallout-1-The-Story-development-diary/551016521590582?ref=hl

Well I wouldn't choose Gamebryo or Creation as an engine and would much rather see the series return to its isometric roots.
Had First Person games such as Fallout New Vegas been a spin off series I could have lived with that as running next to the main series.
Heck, had FOBOS been good (lore, design, and not got Van Buren cancelled) I could even live with that.
Before Bethesda got its hands on the franchise I think the Fallout universe was more than suitable for spin off.

But regarding your question, I would welcome a well done Total Conversion of fan made expansion to Fallout New Vegas but outside the FO1 that may be good I don't see many good ones in development.

Using Fallout 4 as a basis is a dead end.
Honestly, it's cool that they're trying to do that and I admire it, but that looks like absolute shit to me. I don't think anyone will be able to create the aesthetic Fallout/Fallout 2 had, but NV was the closest thing. Fan projects are cool, but they can only go so far.

As for Fallout being dead, it probably is. I'm sorta glad in a way, even though I love NV, I don't feel like a NV 2 would be as effective, especially after FO4. Obsidian has stated multiple times that another Fallout under their development is unlikely, and they've been moving forward with their own projects and ambitions. Bethesda will undoubtedly continue to fuck up the franchise as we've seen with the atrocious DLC, so all we can really do is consider FO3/4 non-canon and move on.

The mods will save us! Seriously though, I've been able to stretch out New Vegas to the limits thanks to quest mods and mods in general. They add hours of content and improve many facets of the game.

What a shame, we won´t get another fallout that isn´t fallout in name only. At least we still have the good ones.

Remember the master the leader of the supermutants? Remember how it could be defeated if the vault dweller had the scribe holotape and it had a background? Good times.

Well, Chris isn't an oracle, so. (Please don't smite me, mighty Chris! Have mercy!)

Honestly, I doubt that Fallout won't get picked up by some developing team again. It's got a lot to work with story-wise.

To quote the Nerd^3 "the fans of Final Fantasy VII are so ravenous they actually WILLED a remake into existence." The same can happen for Fallout.

I'm sure at some point there will be enough demand for an Obsidian Fallout game that it will happen. They may bury the idea for a while but somewhere someday there will be a "New Vegas 2."

Because let's face it, there ain't no way Bethesda can keep Fallout interesting. If they don't have a good game developer around to make an actual good Fallout game every once in a while, their franchise is going to disappear because they've pretty much reached the limit of their ability to dumb down a game.

I actually am excited for Elder Scrolls 6 just to see how f***ing awfully stupid it is.

Last edited:
Back