Rage trailer

Everything I've read about Dragon Age sounds like it's going to have a huge amount of choices and consequences, which is what I think you're looking for when you say deep RPG. Plus they've said they want it to be a more traditional RPG, hence all the Baldur's Gate namechecks. If they say they want to draw from that well again, I don't see any reasons to disbelieve them. I'm also of the mind that you can't really show choices and consequences and all that in the trailer, at least not effectively, but the trailer's been debated to death anyways. EDIT: Also you can play in isometric, so a lot of people are gonna eat that shit up.

Also, I double posted and feel like an asshole. Sorry guyz

Dominus said:
has nothing to do with Fallout, except for the fact that it takes place in an post apocalyptic setting. its a shooter with stunning visuals.
I rather play this than F3.
my thoughts exactly!

shihonage said:
The post-apocalyptic setting is approaching the point of oversaturation, thanks both to games and films.

Every generation or decade there is a peaked interest in post-apocalyptic/apocalyptic media. I don't know why, it just happens. It'll subside.

I'm sure this game will be fun. An id shooter, plus racing elements, in a post-apocalyptic settings sounds like it's right up my alley.

This is the nice thing about creating your own IP. No baggage. It doesn't have "Fallout" in the title, so I won't be having any expectations for it to live up to that name. I expect a fun action game set in a post apocalyptic world, and I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Takashi said:
So, Fallout 3 meets Quake meets Twisted Metal?

If you haven't watched The Road Warrior, perhaps you should....

man they had me when i saw the great "id" logo haha i love there games, and this one looks really good, has a nice little blind of great games.

Pretty nice.
Liked the mutants 'a la' "The Hills have eyes".
The graphics really didn't scream "next-gen" for me, though (not that i care, mi pc can't run it anyway...).

Not next-gen enough? If you watch/read some technical stuff (there are some docs and presentations avaible) about idtech 5 you'd change your mind. Imho id tech 5 will be better in many aspects than current king of graphics cry engine 2.

terebikun said:
Everything I've read about Dragon Age sounds like it's going to have a huge amount of choices and consequences, which is what I think you're looking for when you say deep RPG. Plus they've said they want it to be a more traditional RPG, hence all the Baldur's Gate namechecks. If they say they want to draw from that well again, I don't see any reasons to disbelieve them. I'm also of the mind that you can't really show choices and consequences and all that in the trailer, at least not effectively, but the trailer's been debated to death anyways. EDIT: Also you can play in isometric, so a lot of people are gonna eat that shit up.
Thing is that "Bioware" sees already as "choice" if you get a quest where you can either "steal" a key to a locked door as thief, "talk" the guard in to give you the key or simply kill him which is not that much different from Fallout 3. The difference is only that Bioware has actualy quite good writters where dialogues dont always sound like written from a 16 year old for a 12 year old (though still happens).

I had a lot of fun with Baldurs Gate. As "generic" fantasy RPG based on somewhat good gameplay (I like D&D mechanics). But was its content very deep? Sometimes. But most of the time you had no choice around it.

A real consequece around role playing starts for me at least with the "character" you represent and the decisions you make with your ache typical role. For example a monk would have completely different motives then a knight, thief, druid or ranger. Most RPGs dont give you any reasons, mechanics or options to explore such motives and thus "realy" play in the shoes of a character and pretend to be in his "role" and choose a decision that would fitt his motivations. For a Paladin it would be eventualy the last thing to "scavange" someome for loot for example while a thiev maybe never would leave out any oportunity for it.

Its like the old "indian vs cowboys" where indians would never have a behaviour and look like cowboys. But in "modern" RPGs those kind of things become more and more meaningless as they tend to give players the ability to explore all of it and call the decision between stealth skill or fighter skill already "choice and concequens".

When it comes to visuals we reached a very impressive stage. Though sadly when it comes to NPCs, AI and other parts of it we are still not further then the 80s. There is not even a try to "simulate" eventualy human behaviour and reactions (on the level of the AI) in the NPCs and maybe a reaction of it on the actions of the player. Imagine a quad core CPU taken to its full potential in simulating a dynamic NPC behaviou for the whole world where you could place as player a mine as trap for enemies just to hear from the NPCs later when you return after a weak that a child got harmed while playing outside and the inhabitant of the town/village searching for a stranger that has placed explosives around the town! (talking about choices and conquecences!)

Well, when compared to Bethesda, BioWare has pretty good writters, but seriously speaking, few dialogs go above decent, and many sound cheesy. Still miles ahead of Bethesda, but that ain't that hard.

Crni Vuk said:
A real consequece around role playing starts for me at least with the "character" you represent and the decisions you make with your ache typical role. For example a monk would have completely different motives then a knight, thief, druid or ranger. Most RPGs dont give you any reasons, mechanics or options to explore such motives and thus "realy" play in the shoes of a character and pretend to be in his "role" and choose a decision that would fitt his motivations. For a Paladin it would be eventualy the last thing to "scavange" someome for loot for example while a thiev maybe never would leave out any oportunity for it.

I got the impression their seemingly-robust origin/character creation process aims to accomplish exactly this.

There is not even a try to "simulate" eventualy human behaviour and reactions (on the level of the AI) in the NPCs and maybe a reaction of it on the actions of the player.

They're making a big deal about how your party members will have their own conversations and personalities, and have a whole slew of reactions to how you play. They said the scope of the game (in reference to choices and consequences) is their most ambitious game yet, so that would be good news, yes?

Imagine a quad core CPU taken to its full potential in simulating a dynamic NPC behaviou for the whole world where you could place as player a mine as trap for enemies just to hear from the NPCs later when you return after a weak that a child got harmed while playing outside and the inhabitant of the town/village searching for a stranger that has placed explosives around the town! (talking about choices and conquecences!)

And you can also imagine a development time longer than Duke Nukem Forever.

(I'm cool to keep talking about this, but it seems like we're getting off-topic and I'm not exactly in peoples' good graces in the first place, so just sayin')

Verd1234 said:
The Pc isn't being hampered in this situation. Actually, one could presume that the Pc is actually hampering the console here...
The game isn't going to be streamed off the disc on PC, so that isn't even a concern there. They could put it on a hundred Bluray discs and it wouldn't make a difference, as long as you had a large enough hard drive.

terebikun said:
I got the impression their seemingly-robust origin/character creation process aims to accomplish exactly this.

I think what Crni is trying to say is that, despite the character creation, there aren't many ingame chances to play it out - because storywise Bioware games are painfully linear. There's barely any diference in story or even dialogue in NWN whether you are a mage or a fighter aside from a few small side-quests... Ever tried to roleplay LE or NE in NWN or BG2? It's pretty much impossible.

They're making a big deal about how your party members will have their own conversations and personalities, and have a whole slew of reactions to how you play. They said the scope of the game (in reference to choices and consequences) is their most ambitious game yet, so that would be good news, yes?

Well, party banter has been around since BG1... Not sure what's so ambitious about replicating the system (which is what it is from the way you described it).

DN Forever isn't real :P But srsly, the wait for STALKER:SoC paid off, so maybe the wait for a game with sth innovative would pay off as well?

I don't want to say Dragon Age is bad before I try it, but from the looks of it - the horrible trailers and all of that - the writing is the level of FO3, and it's also a very distant relative of even the original BG series.

To me it looks closer to fallout than fallout 3 did.

You know, in terms of character and locale. One Oblivion holdover that just didn't work in a post apocalypse setting is the stiff, asinine character animation.

looks this, looks that ... a lot of assumptions

if you want to know about the actual gameplay you must read
(you do can read, don't you?)

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1013811p1.html

if you read this article, you'll know a lot more about how the gameplay will be. it is said to have mild rpg elements, too...

a highly recommended read

edit: since my posts get deleted in the other topic, i decided to write a litte something about that here. well, i dont know about any of you, but when your posts get deleted for the third time (after you have been attacked verbally) and then get locked out of a post you do feel a little pissed off. so i simply say fuck you to the asshole who didnt even let me state my point, you know who you are. thanks for listening children...

edit2: lol, this is my final post under this nick. time to change it, since free speech is not allowed here, it seems so i can aswell try with another alias. i'd really like to know which asshat deleted my posts, but who cares... i'd kick his ass in rl. see you all soon (:

I would play any FPS game than doesn't set in WW2 or modern era. Period.

Edit: The fat guy at the end of the trailer reminds me about Gizmo...

terebikun said:
They have in their Games usualy a pretty advanced character creation with limits and options from the usual D&D mechanics. But if the only "consequence" of the "Coice" you make here is if the character deals damage with a 2-handed sword (as Paladin) or by sumoning undead creatures (as Cleric) and kicks/punches (monk) its only affecting the gameplay and superficial regarding the content of the "story". There is no real reason to explore the motivation of a Monk dedicated to the The Crying God Ilmater or a Paladin in the service of the entity Helm. I admit the implementation of it is rather tricky and takes much recources.

terebikun said:
Crni Vuk said:
Imagine a quad core CPU taken to its full potential in simulating a dynamic NPC behaviou for the whole world where you could place as player a mine as trap for enemies just to hear from the NPCs later when you return after a weak that a child got harmed while playing outside and the inhabitant of the town/village searching for a stranger that has placed explosives around the town! (talking about choices and conquecences!)

So they should better only concentrate about to make your computer sweat when it comes to the visuals? When I am talking about the use of hardware in dynamic NPC/world behaviour I dont say that it has all to be done at once. The jump from Ut99 to Unreal 3 from graphic did not happend from one day. There have been a few games in between and a lot of work. Thing is that you have to start somewhere, which they just dont. NPCs and RPG worlds today do not behave differently compared to 20 years ago or even to those times you had text based "adventures/RPGs" on your screen. The visuals today are good enough to serve any need but the rest is still in the "stone age" literaly. When it comes to that Fallout 1 was a lot more revolutionary compard to a lot of games today by simply the fact that you had a button with a rudimentarily "ask-me-a-question" that sometimes even worked!

I just tend to ask my self how things would look like if today hardware would be used to its full potential to work out such features even more.

Back