Rate the DLC's

Akratus

Bleep bloop.
Let's not kid ourselves. We have discussed everything we possibly could about Fallout 3, the main game. There's nothing left to be said. It is faulty in nearly every respect. Bethesda went for quantity over quality.

However, what about the dlc? What is your opinion on each of them?

1. Point Lookout
It's not exactly high praise that I rank this dlc best only because it is the least insulting of the bunch. But such is my opinion of Bethesda.
Really overall the dlc aren't really worth the full price in my opinion. Perhaps just this one. If you mod out the hp bloat. It has some locations that are actually a bit more interresting to visit, it's not linear in it's location and the two main characters aren't too bad.
It took Bethesda a lot to make something passable, but they did it.
Also, every one who plays Fallout 3 should get through the drug trip scene in this dlc.

2.The Pitt
Although this one is usually the most liked DLC amongst us here, I don't find it completely satisfying. The choice is a nice surprise coming from Bethesda, but the rest of the game you're only dealing with some annoying slave characters and generic raider ones. The city of pittsburgh is quite small and most of the content is a simple scavenger hunt through a boring scrapyard.

3.Operation Anchorage
This one I don't find as insulting as the next two. Mainly because the story in it deals with a simulation, meaning that it isn't supposed to really represent the truth. Although I'd rather have had something to improve the main game it is kind of an innocent little dlc. Just make sure you don't play this one with anything but a guns focussed character.

4.Broken Steel
This DLC I find a bit insulting in that it removes the ending slides completely. Perhaps that is an improvement but it is another slap in the face of the very idea of fallout. If this dlc had introduced ending slides for different locations and quests, I might have put it at the number one spot. But no such thing is in it. Only more shooting gallery corridors.

5.Mothership Zeta
I don't need to tell you why.

1: The Pitt
You actually have a choice that has some degrees of grey instead of the usual "good and bad." I liked the environment more than the vanilla's game, and it's also much, much harder.

2: Point lookout
Great environment and you get some nice ol timey weapons as well as a strange high tech one, but it also tends to cheat with how the damage system works.

3: Broken Steel
The Hellfire armor is nice. That's it.

5: Mothership Zeta
Ridiculous and boring. Don't get me wrong, I like ridiculous. But only when it matches the tone. Here it just felt...out of place. Since it's a tad boring, it makes it feel even worse.

4: Operation Anchorage
Boring and game breaking.

1: Point Lookout. It has a unique environment and nice new gear, but a weak plot.
2: The Pitt. A decent new area, and a good plot.
3: Broken Steel. Bethesda's 'get more money quick' ploy, it did at least fix a glaring plot hole and added some nice new gear.
4: Operation: Anchorage. A game breaker beyond compare, and a story held together with spit and duct tape.
5: Mothership Zeta. 'How to undermine the theme of a game 101'.

I enjoyed OA most since it's just lame linear shooter not a meaningless "open world". actually it was fun to me because it reminds me Medal of honor allied assault.
PL has one good quest about chinese spy.
except that? nothing notable.
pitt wasn't good for me, poor plot, another black and white, weak enemy and it's small DLC.
but finding steel ingot wasn't bad.
MZ? toshiro kago? that was good joke.
other things? except him, every thing is bad.
I always hate beth's method to increase difficulty.
3 idiotic monster wasn't good for me.

I'd put The Pitt first, because I only find it under developed. I mean, it comes with a relatively good idea, but it performs that idea poorly. The moral is almost gray, the quest almost gives you enough choices, and you almost get to see consequences. It's almost good, which is great for FO3 parameters. Other than that, I agree with the OP.

1. The pitt. It does lack "something" but it is not a bad DLC but actually a quite good one.
2. Point Lookout. I do like the map. I do like most of the stuff in it.. BUT! The story and the dumb hippies kinda ruined it for me.
3. Broken Steel. It lets you keep playing \o/ It adds the Hellfire armor \o/ And besides that there is nothing great in there.
4. OA. I did like the story and the idea.. And thats about it.

I did not miss anything? No? I thought so! No aliens lurking here etc.

And woo HOW is The pitt grey and white?

1. The Pitt:
I loved the hellish glow, and the setting in a toxic, deadly city. And that music playing in the background, aww yiss. It was way too small, but the way post-war Pittsburgh was presented appealed to me very much. It certinaly brought a vibe of a post-apocalyptic city, even though it's 200 years after the war. The plot, although simplified and underdeveloped, was rather satisfying, and the final choice whether to help the Raiders and sentence your allies to death, or help the slaves and sentence the entire city to it was nice too.

2. Point Lookout:
Despite overpowered hillbillies, tribals and those fucking reavers ghouls, I enjoyed it. I liked the climate of a desolate place forgotten by the world and inhabited by (mostly) madmen. It was also a nice change to visit a radioactive swamp after so many hours in the desert. Even though its full of logical inconsistencies, it's overall enjoyable.

3. Operation Anchorage:
AKA "blue/winter level". Jokes aside, I missed snow in Fallout, since that's the second time we can see it (since Tactics). Linearity was a nice break from Bethesda's open world and I could really test my stealth skills. The final confrontation with Jingwei was funny ("I'm going to kill you sooo much!") and the gifts you receive after the DLC were useful (especially that Chinese armor with stealth field. Cheating? Yes. But oh so delightful cheating!).

4. Broken Steel:
Meh. Hellfire armor was cool. Gathering loot was fun. Liberty Prime's death was sad. Overall, a rather boring and obvious DLC.

5. Mothership Zeta:
At first, I enjoyed the creepy climate of that DLC, but every other playthrough was tedious and boring. Also, the plot is entirely stupid. But at least it had some cool weapons and tools (Alien Epoxy).

Mothership Zeta? You guys dont know whats good for you! I mean!

Fallout has now confirmed Aliens. A L I E N S! And they also caused the nuclear war.

284374f558f572ff33.jpg

*Of course I am not serious.

1. Point Lookout - I thought the story was decent and the atmosphere coupled with the swamp people was pretty good.
2. The Pitt - Even more decent story than that of Point Lookout. The only thing that takes away for me is that I wanted to explore more of Pittsburgh, oh well.
3,4,5 - I thought they were all cliché, boring and/or stupid

The problem with the Pit is that both choices suck and have no real effect. With one the Slaves stay slaving away while a cure is found under Ashur, and in the other the slaves now work all their time while a cure is found under the very forgetable one eyed guy.

1- The Pitt and Point Lookout. Interesting places, nice atmosphere and good ideas that are almost well executed.

2- Broken Steel. Fixes a bit the old ending and the added quests aren't that bad. Quite stupidly, though, retroactively adds consequences to a quest in the vanilla game so you could end up missing a quest unless you replay the game or have a different save.

3- Mothership Zeta. No need to explain.

4- Operation: Anchorage. Wait, worse that MZ? IMO yes. MZ was a shitty, short, linear FPS campaign in a game with shitty FPS combat, and the content of the add-on would be better if it was removed from the canon.

O:A is a shitty, short, linear FPS campaign in a game with shitty FPS combat, the content of the add-on excplicitely isn't canon (the simulation doesn't follow what really happened in Canada), you can't use your own gear, the weapon selection is very limited and the only useful things you obtain from this add-on are the Gauss Rifle, the game breaking stealth suit and an unbreakable T-51b. Whoopie!

1. The Pitt.
Finally, some attempt on a grey morality in this fairy tale. Also, I find it more challenging than rest of the game.
2. Point Lookout.
Hmmm... I liked chinese spy mission. That's about it, I think. Boring and weird (but not in good, funny way, like OWB) main quest, tribals somehow more powerful than Enclave soldiers, not that interesting locations overall.
3. The rest, which were just tedious shooters. And I've never understood that "oh mai gawd, you can play after main quest!!1" hype.

Walpknut said:
The problem with the Pit is that both choices suck and have no real effect. With one the Slaves stay slaving away while a cure is found under Ashur, and in the other the slaves now work all their time while a cure is found under the very forgetable one eyed guy.

Geez you nitpicking fans are never happy. You ask for choice, and we give you one, and then you're unhappy that the choice doesn't do anything! Gee. Some people. . .

Walpknut said:

I got the impression that the development of a cure will be more likely under Ashur because, you know, he actually has some knowledge of science and he has that doctor lady with him. For some reason, I don't find it likely that the slaves will make one.

Second place:
Point Lookout
Some great, some horrible stuff. It would be first, thanks to great actions like spy mission, or fight in calvert mansion or entire enviroment, which was really relaxing after that gray and boring FO3 wasteland. Locations like Ruzka lair and entire distinction from sand, I mean, tree everywhere, swamps, some small islands. However, then we got that weird story. Calvert was semi-fine until end, when Bethesda again fcked up everything. We helped him? Who cares, we need to kill him and we again can follow Desmond way without any waste. And after all, that one ending is so... dull? Hard to name it, but ending should be memorable, not something like "here we are, obviuos boss fight" and end? :( When looking at DLCs from FNV, every ending was at least fine, but there? So much wasted potential. Cutting out a piece of the brain by tribals also was retarded... but the dream sequence was the worst. No matter if we meet or not people from Megaton/BoS they appear. Seriously? Not only it isn't logical, but it's recalling that shitty story/characters from vanila..

Ok:
-Desmond and sequence in calvert mansion
-New plague from Van Buren
-Tribals!
-Locations, environments
-Most of the quests
-Most of the background
-Challenging, and not only in "hit point wall" logic like all other DLCs

Wrong:
-Fo3 logic
-Calvert
-Dream sequence

Languorous_Maiar said:
-New plague and more stuff from Van Buren
I seem to have missed it - what were those references in PL you're talking about? It always seemed to me Beth didn't incorporate any Van Buren lore into FO3.

Swampfolks are result of New Plague (+ inbreeding + radiation)
There is also disaster relief outpost, with Marcella and some pre-war logs.
http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Disaster_Relief_Outpost_terminal_notes
But huh, I edited post, sentence with "more" was little confusing.

They get a lot from VB (like T-45d power armor, which is main one in FO3 or trogs from the Pitt) but in most cases they edited it for their use. (hey, but they did it with everything)

Languorous_Maiar said:
Swampfolks are result of New Plague (+ inbreeding + radiation)
There is also disaster relief outpost, with Marcella and some pre-war logs.
http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Disaster_Relief_Outpost_terminal_notes
But huh, I edited post, sentence with "more" was little confusing.

They get a lot from VB (like T-45d power armor, which is main one in FO3 or trogs from the Pitt) but in most cases they edited it for their use. (hey, but they did it with everything)
Huh, I knew about the Swampfolks but I totally forgot about the rest. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

Back