Scenery stuff and such...

Well if its atleast for the model I'd try to paint it aswell.. But you're probably right, seeing how masochistic Contie worked in the past. :>

Continuum said:
Test it (drive it?) and tell me what do you think.

armouredcar.gif

That's a great design. What techniques do you use to paint it?

Her Lexx is absolutely right in both cases. First and the most important - mesh went to hell. Second - painting, on the plain mesh (no textures at all) is time consuming and those small details are pain in da arse too. So one direction per version/mesh/whatever is reasonable solution (lesson learned from 5 directions of exactly the same truck).

Fallout1FTW said:
What techniques do you use to paint it?
The way I paint has changed. I was using only colors earlier + some highlights, now I'm painting all shapes:

armouredcar.gif

set your new layer to, let's say hard light, and then by using b&w colors paint like above. In this way you're getting very nice contrast + painting like feature which is removing perfection from 3d render too (look at top lights, for example - they're completely distorted, thus hand painted like) and this is a key element of Fallout-y NPR art style. Colors (like rust) are painted on the layer with normal transfer.

Another thing is good to remember are that super black, where's GI?! kind of shadows, Pixi was talking earlier, in this thread (wheels and area under cargo):

vehicles.gif

also look at that darker area art <--> background I marked - this kind of stuff makes things looking even more painted like. Original artwork contains this too (but this isn't a pattern). Highlights on the wheels/mudguards/etc. can be painted on that hard light layer too. Just like super black shadows...

That damaged hard surface is done in 2d too:

hard.gif

Use smudge tool to deform it, and next paint the new shape there (stuff I've been talking earlier). Or skip the smudge tool, and paint it only. It's up to you. This kind of stuff makes things Fallout-y too.

Thanks very much for the info.
I paint my art items using the same technique. Before I started, I studied the original art and noticed how lots of it was hand-painted.

At first I was spending about an hour on each art item but with practice I can get most work done in about 30 to 40 minutes now. I am also more pleased with the overall results now.

I also vigorously employ pixel artist techniques in the end although that can be a little time-consuming (pencil tool FTW). But it gives that extra touch to the art item and makes it personal and unique.

How long does it take for you to finish the paint job?

Continuum said:

Conti did you consider painting bullets holes on the surface...you never know what the history of these vehicles could be, and considering how violent the world of Fallout is - shit happens. :wink: Are these the lighter - less rusty trucks?

Continuum said:
The thing I don't quite like about this car is that you cant see the wheels (car is too low). So it is not able to go around in hard terrain (such as Fallout desert). But it's just my opinion. I like it anyway.

Continuum said:
I really like those trucks. You could add some variations of them: add some bullet holes (as someone said before) or even a graffitti on it.

Fallout1FTW said:
How long does it take for you to finish the paint job?
Can't really tell... All vehicles were sitting in one file, thus I painted something on the 1st truck, next on 2nd one, then on the car, I returned to 1st truck, next to the car, in the meantime I was painting boat, or doing other not Fallout related stuff, etc. Great production pipeline, isn't it?

.Pixote. said:
Conti did you consider painting bullets holes on the surface...
IIRC, I tried to make something like this, but I wasn't satisfied from the results.

.Pixote. said:
Are these the lighter - less rusty trucks?
No. These are default. But they're not finished.

Lavo said:
The thing I don't quite like about this car is that you cant see the wheels (car is too low). So it is not able to go around in hard terrain (such as Fallout desert).
You're right. But realism is something you can easily forget in Fallout world. Car designed this way is looking more heavy, better protected, and weird. Besides, on the final image you can't really see the wheels, so it can even be a hover/gravity/whatever car. Futurism is full of this kind of shit. Something like X-Com Apocalypse vehicles perhaps? :shrug:

Why not to steal it from Fallout 3 mod you need to pay for... :shrug:

-----------------------------------EDIT

On a side note: this cop car is more setting-wise than VB's one. Someone finally did a homework right.

FNV is not a mod.

And yes, most of the new shizzle in FNV is more fitting than stuff from the last or other not yet released Fallout games.

Why not to steal it

I like to not do this, if possible.

Lexx said:
FNV is not a mod.
The same shitty(?) engine, the same assets. Just like Fallout 2 - mod, perhaps done by industry, but still a mod. It's a daylight robbery to sell stuff you already bought as a new game!

FNV has a lot new graphic content as well. And beside this, the game is more than just graphic assets. What you write now, sounds to me as if you only pay for graphics in games, not for their actual content. Content wise, FNV offers quite a lot... But this shit has been discussed already so god damn often in the FNV board... It's not a mod, never was.

Beside this, I find it super stupid that everyone expects new games to have totally new graphic assets. It's just so god damn inefficient. Instead of spending more money on game content, it must be spend on new fancy graphics...

Continuum said:
Lexx said:
FNV is not a mod.
The same shitty(?) engine, the same assets. Just like Fallout 2 - mod, perhaps done by industry, but still a mod. It's a daylight robbery to sell stuff you already bought as a new game!

That's just your usual Feargus' "slam dunk" title :shrug:

Above posts make me a sad panda, agreed with Lexx 100%. Instead of spending time and time on making new graphics which are just... there.. I prefer the people to write actual new content, stuff which I can interact with. New Vegas is not a "mod". :roll:

Back