Scenery stuff and such...

Nice art from TRaider. I wonder if he frequents our forums. The artists should stick together IMO :)

As for the animated palette, not much progress has been done since my last report. I'm working on the dialogs at the moment so I'll return to it later definitively.
I managed to get a palette with initial colors same as those set by the Fallout 2 engine. However, even that palette still isn't good enough for every animated FRM from the original game. I can get a 95% match but not a perfect match. It's very frustrating.

So I've made some sort of tractor here (free 3d model over the internet) -

[spoiler:f7d2df451b]
tra1kbjef.png
[/spoiler:f7d2df451b]

but I'm having problems to make it look good into the game. Palette etc. is applied ofcourse, but it still sticks out too much. I've never head problems with that with more natural color tones before, but rust/grey stuff I always had a problem with it. Any tips? :/

traktor1nj78.png

Also, I tried to apply a shadow, but as you can see it looks... like shit. :) Some tips would be appreciated.

screen_02-04-2010_14-44omj.png

Well, the perspective of the shadow is obviously horrible wrong. You should render the shadow with correct light setup via the 3d tool instead of doing it with a different graphic program. Continuum wrote about setting up the light scenery in one of the 2d -> 3d threads.

Surf Solar fix the lighting (and therefore the shadows) and then render the model with the 6 directions - NE, E, SE, SW, W, NW...the nice thing about that is when you make the FRM, you can add all of the different directions into the one model and then choose it's direction from inside the mapper (think critter). Mind you - you will have to make it non-transparent otherwise the PC will effect it (the object will disappear) when running around the object.

I'll make an example and get back - :roll:

EDIT: Here is what I mean.

The bookcase I altered has both the front and back view, and both the East/West and North/South direction all into one FRM. Now a FRM must have a single or 6 directions, not 4, so just repeat 2 of the directions. In the mapper you can choose what direction you want to face, as long as you follow the original frame offset numbers everything should work nicely. The same would work for your tractor, or any scenery, or item artwork. :wink:

scr00003.gif

As I already said, somewhere here: transform your object into a shadow:

fallout1.gif

Areas pointed by red marks are too dark (almost black). Compare your vehicle with shelf Pixi posted, or iguana table to check how light should affect object and shadows. Also, paint it.

Shit, Frank, I've gotta an old Cord Fusion 9000 tractor in two different variants plus two different billboards for it, made it a long time ago for FOnline, but we never used it anywhere... The tractor itself is not 'shoped, but it'll do for this occasion, I guess.

Anyway, if you need the files in BMP and FRM format, drop me a PM.

[spoiler:e59abdab56]
ae05mp.jpg
[/spoiler:e59abdab56]
In before Czech Lizzard (or anyone else, for that matter) comes around asking if he may rip it off: yes, you can.

lisac2k said:
made it a long time ago for FOnline, but we never used it anywhere...
Why not? Seems like a nice piece of scenery, maybe in the NCR junkyard, Junktown or somewhere.

I could need some help. ;)

I was trying to create some dunes for the desert tiles, in this case Contis excellent work, but can work for other tiles, like original desert set too ofcourse... I tried to toy around with bevel&amboss, drop shadows, scaling, but it never really looks like a dune, or some small hill and such. I know some people from Mutants Rising/BGE have created such art, so please share the knowledge with me. :D

As you can see, my puny attempts look rather amateurish, anyone could lend me a hand? ;)

halp0ujf.png

You could superimpose some terrain over the surface in Photoshop, then turn it into some sort of scenery, but I don't think it will work all that well. It's better to keep the ground as tiles, placing large scenery pieces over tiles can be problematic.

036testjwd.jpg

Yeah, that's the thing which inspired me.. I really would like to know how it's done - especially if it's possible by 2d editing means, as I'm a total loser when it comes to 3d modelling. :(

Pixote, could you render this particular model you linked to in the correct fallout perspective? 'least I could experiment a bit with it.

EDIT: Tried it, but eh. :|

asdsdsdpqsc.png

So I've tried to create more stuff which floats/is "rooted" in the water and came up with this (it's based on 2 rocks Lexx I believe made - if the creator doesn't want recreation then ofcourse I'll remove it):

gdfgdfhjkopieh7tf.png

The 2 single pictures can be found here and here.
I think they look ok. But here comes a harder part: I wanted to "animate" them with palette swaps so that it looks like as if the water is flowing around the rocks, but I've no idea how to do that. Could someone help me there?

I also tried to create a "drowner" or some floating corpse in the water, but it looks crappy as the same problem applies here, I don't know how to properly "animate" it (also I believe it's too small).

[spoiler:9d74e23acb]
726e3d8d0ae541ac3e947d5e069814f9.gif
[/spoiler:9d74e23acb]

Yeah I know, it looks like shit. Could someone help me there or give some tips to make it better? What I basically did is taking a critter image (laying on ground) and used the copystamp around the body with different pressure types. While that looked ok, the rest is crappy. Tips would be appreciated. ;)

The mountain parts are originally from the BGE mod. The water version looks good.

Animation in Fallout 2: Make it a scenery and add a script, which defines how it animates (there are examples somewhere. It's not very hard, if I remember correct).

Animation in FOnline: Make each frame as a png and connect them in a *.fofrm file, where you also define how fast the animation should run. Examples for that can be found in animated objects from FOnline. You then add the new object (scenery or item) to the game via the proto editor / object editor and in there you define the animation start frame, end frame, speed, etc.

/Edit: Animated shoreline, etc. in Fallout 2 can also be done via color-swapping, like it's used in the coast tiles.

New version of that destroyed truck, nice. :) Wanted to ask you about that already. :p

Looks great, as always. Don't see anything I could razz about.

Conti if you touch-up the boat at the sub, I will include it into the next RP. It will look silly to have one boat looking one way at the docks and the other looking different at the sub.

The trucks are perfect (as is the boat). How do you touch them up in PS, are you using a tablet?

.Pixote. said:
Conti if you touch-up the boat at the sub, I will include it into the next RP. It will look silly to have one boat looking one way at the docks and the other looking different at the sub.
How about this Pixi? Looking better?

lisac2k said:
How do you touch them up in PS
Technique is very simple: reset to default, b&w colors, set new empty layer to Hard Light and start defining, or redefining (all damages on that four grey-sih trucks are pure 'shopping, the only thing I re-rendered, and later c&p'ed was that driver compartment interior) edges, drooping highlight or shadows (of course by hand, not by Drop Shadow custom option ;)). This way you're getting painting like feature + contrast thus you can keep desaturated base color.

If you want to remove noise (original artwork isn't noise-y at all) or unwanted shit from the base surface (stuff I did with subbie related crap), create a new empty layer with normal transfer/blending mode/whatever, pick one of base surface color, set brush's opacity to 20, and paint - some of the original surface features are preserved, but all other unwanted shit is gone.

lisac2k said:
are you using a tablet?
I wish. Everything I did was a left mouse button neverending click fest.

Back