Scenery stuff and such...

Lexx said:
And beside this, the game is more than just graphic assets.
Gfx has the same value as story/dialogues/sounds. Great story can be ruined by shitty gfx, just like great gfx can be ruined by shitty story :shrug:

Lexx said:
What you write now, sounds to me as if you only pay for graphics in games, not for their actual content.
Gfx is the game content too. Recycling it is a cheap, lazy way to cut development cycle, for example, which means even moar $$$ in the wallet.

Lexx said:
I find it super stupid that everyone expects new games to have totally new graphic assets. It's just so god damn inefficient. Instead of spending more money on game content, it must be spend on new fancy graphics...
So are you trying to say that Fallout was a mistake with its totally new gfx? :roll: Or perhaps they recycled stuff from other game(s)... I want to see it. Also, recycling is something I can accept in some low-budget indie titles, but not in AAA productions (Interplay/Bethesda/Obsidian).

Lexx said:
It's not a mod, never was.
Surf Solar said:
New Vegas is not a "mod".
For me it's. Oh well... fine. Not a mod, but a total conversion (sounds more serious ;)), just like Fallout 2, SD, BGE, or MR.

Gfx has the same value as story/dialogues/sounds.

Not for me. It's a main point and definitive a bonus if it looks great, but not the main factor. Else I most likely would have never played games like Arcanum.

So are you trying to say that Fallout was a mistake with its totally new gfx? Rolling Eyes

I am trying to say that it's idiotic to create 100% new art / sound assets for every game, even if it's just a sequel or similar. I'll call that wasting money and I give a shit about if the developer is some Indie or "AAA" factory.

Beside this, yeah, Fallout 3 for me was a mistake with it's 100% reinvented graphics and object styles.

recycling is something I can accept in some low-budget indie titles, but not in AAA productions (Interplay/Bethesda/Obsidian).

This is exactly the problem.

Continuum said:
Lexx said:
What you write now, sounds to me as if you only pay for graphics in games, not for their actual content.
Gfx is the game content too. Recycling it is a cheap, lazy way to cut development cycle, for example, which means even moar $$$ in the wallet.

I wish. Reality is that any sensible desire to reuse assets (which would make a ton of sense) is suppressed industry-wide. If you think of recycling as "more cash in the pocket" you're kind of putting the cart in front of the horse. Lack of recycling is one of the reasons game budgets have got so inflated.

Feargus got the right idea if in a bit misguided a direction. The fact that so much budget gets diverted to graphics means you got less for everything else. If you want to believe that's all money-grubbing, then 'k.

Yes, I do. It's wishful thinking to believe that big publishers money saved on recycling will spend on new/better/whatever, free game content. No way. Either cash will go into the pocket, or to DLCs you must pay for :shrug:

Big publishers are as big publishers do. If you buy their games you should assume you're being scammed somehow anyway. That's just the way it is.

But you seemed to believe it's either that or indies. That's not the way the world rolls. There are a lot of mid-sized publishers just trying to get by, or developers with more freedom in their publishing contracts, who do opt for recycling because otherwise they'll have to slash into other parts of their budget.

Look at it this way: New Vegas and Fallout 2 both either exists as slam-dunk type projects, or they don't exist at all. I prefer the former.

Brother None said:
But you seemed to believe it's either that or indies. That's not the way the world rolls. There are a lot of mid-sized publishers just trying to get by, or developers with more freedom in their publishing contracts, who do opt for recycling because otherwise they'll have to slash into other parts of their budget.
Of course, there must be something in the middle, and I'm sure there is. My point was: bigger can afford for more, smaller can afford for less, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, my bad.

As for healthy recycling assets in normal productions: I've seen this in practice. In theory I was uber happy: technology has moved forward, two years between both games, recycled art assets will look even better now! Super cool! Execution: AWFUL. Objects I was familair with were looking worse, not better, even not the same, but worse - some blurry awful piece of shit. Because of design decision everything was somewhat smaller, less quality than in game they were used first. And it's not about being graphics whore, but about common sense. Perhaps I had a bad luck... and there are productions, where this is done right. I'm not saying definitely no, but I feel sceptical about this :shrug:

Fatmobile:

fatmobile.gif

It's smaller (90% of original).

Continuum said:
Fatmobile: It's smaller (90% of original).

fatmobile.gif

The size is much better - the original looked liked it was large enough for a mutant to drive it, which could have been the idea! This car is the real deal... 8-) Are you willing to hand over the PS file for analysis. :mrgreen:

Although it looks hard, it's actually pretty easy. I'm not Continuum, but here's what I do :)

Just take the airbrush and paint the shapes. Restrain yourself to black, white, shades of gray, and dark brown (use opacity!). When painting a shiny metal surface, use only black, white, blue (for the sky), and brown (for the ground).
Set the painting layer on "Hard Light". For smaller details use the pencil or an airbrush with 1px radius.
Also, learn the basics of lighting and how it affects the material's surface (stone, metal, cloth, etc.).

For me, the painting is the easy part. The hardest part is finding the right art piece. Not everything fits into the game, no matter how good the paintover is.

Lexx, here's your wasted cop car. :)
I made two versions of it so pick the one you like.

"Parked & wasted" version

anlt81.gif

"Don't drink & drive" version

27zg3v7.gif

Prosper posting in random threads again?

/Edit:
Fallout1FTW said:
Lexx, here's your wasted cop car. :)
I made two versions of it so pick the one you like.

Thanks, it looks really nice. Just the engine hood seems to be a bit strange?

I felt too that it was strange but that's how it was in the original VB art.
I'll post a version without the strange hood at Monday :D

P.S. Prosper is really stubborn. He knows more than he shows though

Lexx, one thing bugged me all this time - the cop car wasn't futuristic enough. So I did a minor variation of the cop car which is closer to the New Vegas design you wanted. Here's the "Turbo/Rocket" version.

29blwrp.png

11k856p.png

Back