so is there any good bonus to completing NV in hardcore?

J Sawyers hardcore mod made it a bit more point-ful imho

Vanilla hardcore is more like """hardcore""", you must drink water every... twice a day or so? You can go for days and not eat a bite, and sleeping seems more a matter of personal preference, if you got some tobacco chew you never need to sleep again as long as you live.

The problem with doing a "caffeine addict/never sleeping" run is that a couple of the DLCs break the SLP meter and you only fix it by sleeping.

I noticed that, but that just adds to the frustration - the meters keep breaking, and if the point is to cheat the system, then all you have to do is turn off Hardcore mode :D
Turn it on - to add some extra substance to it, like eat, drink and sleep, for then not to even have to, cus when the meters dont break, you can still run around for ages without really caring about it

That's what I liked about the Sawyer mod, that I actually had to watch out a little. Even then, my aspie-hoarding-instinct grants me 100 bottles of purified water by mid-game, I store them in my Novac fridge - it's completely pointless, in one save I have ended game, play-post-ending-mod - no more tasks to do, and some 60 "reserve" gecko steaks :D

Then I get philosophical - so - food is this abundant, cus - sure - it IS! NCR grows crops, geckos litter the wasteland, there's water everywhere, so... yeah, communities thrive, vendors don't starve, so why should you? And as a result: 100 bottles of purified water in my fridge, along with 60 gecko steaks, tons of tobacco chew - and a bed and bedrolls AND a portable bedroll!

The survive-angle was probably best used in Fallout, as in 1 (but then comes the problem of sorting out long-distance travel, with hunger, fatigue and thirst, how thirsty are you if you travel directly from Shady Sands to Boneyard? Would you have to stop at every square to drink and eat?)

In the end, I can't make my mind up. My last NV playthrough was the first in a long time, where I didn't pick Hardcore mode, simply cus I decided to just... role-play thirst and hunger... at my own leisure, just as well, in the end (although weightless ammo feels a lot like cheating, tbh)

Last edited:
i am still playing the game on normal gameplay for one and easy on the other for fighting. i am not ready to go into normal mode for fighting yet.

Just jump and play the games on normal-hard.
Very Hard is kind of boring because it just turns enemies into Bulletsponges. And fighting those is really no fun. I like that in my game I can get 2-3 shotted by a dude with a Crowbar, but I don't dig it if my character barely scratches his cheek with 4 shots from a magnum so I just play JSmod+PN on Hard. Like my PN hard.

"hard" in beth games tends to mean you spend an hour fighting, instead of a minute. I find it absolutely boring, because to me it comes down to: Am I able to kill this thing, or not? Yes I am - just gimme 15 minutes of sword-chopping.
I'd rather cut them down with a swoop, and worry about bigger conundrums (this depends on a good game, of course, good writing and such)

When I attack, say, vault 3, I want to get down to business, I want to create certain results, such as erradicate the Fiend threat, and improve the situation for NCR in the area. My main motivation is not to spend 10 minutes and 300 bullets per fiend.

(A more welcome "hardness" would be if damage in general were more realistic - one bullet takes the enemy down, but you the same, something like that.)

"hard" in beth games tends to mean you spend an hour fighting, instead of a minute. I find it absolutely boring, because to me it comes down to: Am I able to kill this thing, or not? Yes I am - just gimme 15 minutes of sword-chopping.
I'd rather cut them down with a swoop, and worry about bigger conundrums (this depends on a good game, of course, good writing and such)

When I attack, say, vault 3, I want to get down to business, I want to create certain results, such as erradicate the Fiend threat, and improve the situation for NCR in the area. My main motivation is not to spend 10 minutes and 300 bullets per fiend.

(A more welcome "hardness" would be if damage in general were more realistic - one bullet takes the enemy down, but you the same, something like that.)

considering that it is an RPG, i highly doubt that would happen, however there are a few things like deathclaws that can almost one hit kill you. :S

considering that it is an RPG, i highly doubt that would happen, however there are a few things like deathclaws that can almost one hit kill you. :S

Mods bro. They do it.

In the end, it was a bad idea to translate the classic games into fast-paced dynamic shooters. I mean, what a transition, really (horse beaten to a pulp by now), but yeah, much ended up lost-in-transition

I have no issues with shooting a FO2 enemy repeatedly in the eye, turn by turn, because the turn-based-ness makes it feel a bit more natural, it's like a sport, like tennis, I shoot him, he shoots me, I shoot him, he shoots me

But a dynamic, realistic, fast-paced 3D environment does not really cater to that, but Beth really tried, with the VATS atrocity (let's explain VATS in a logical, earth-bound manner - what exactly happens w the Wanderer/Courier when entering vats? Other games have slow-motion, and even that is seen as overly helpful, VATS is just ridiculous, at least NV lowered the hit-chance in vats significantly, but that just made me not bother with it whatsoever (In FO3 I fought almost exclusively through VATS, it invited for it, I went for it, it made the game super-easy, especially with Grim Reaper)) anyway, I've rowed a good bit away from the topic now...

*kicks Beth in the groin*

there.

i guess it would be nice if they added in some completion bonuses. i don't need them though. hardcore makes the game better.

Other than the actual achievement, the game is much better overall with Hardcore mode enabled. The rebalances to Doctor's Bags and Stimpaks are so sensical that I forgot how brokenly easy the game was without them.

From the achievements, I don't think a Hardcore mode is returning in Fallout 4. I say that also because I think completing all of the game in Hardcore mode is enough of a challenge to warrant an achievement. Bethesda might add it in later.

They even removed traits, so I think I should have known better :razz:. Maybe they didn't want to devote time to determining ammunition weight and finding appropriate primary needs values for food and water items.

I hope someone adds hardcore mode fairly quick. Bethesda with their fucking training wheels...

There was an enhanced need mod for Skyrim that I actually thought was pretty good, adding in temperature to the mix as well. It made the cooking system in Skyrim actually worthwhile too.

So hopefully it will be quick, yes.

Wouldn't bet on it being quick, those mods are extensive and usually need the Script Extenders to work. I'll give it a full year after release for it to appear. Maybe Year and a Half.

Back