So Our Protagonist Is Over 200 Years Old

What war do you guys think Mr. 111 served on? The resource Wars or the Reclamation of Anchorage? Because if he served on the first he would know how fickle America's prosperity was then, and if he served on the later he would have had to execute civillians and face all the backlash of the occupation of the place and the eventual anexation of Canada. In any case they could just be living in a waspy neighborhood I guess.

You know what annoys me? Todd Howard saying Fallout is about the feeling of loss and desire to return to Pre War. [..]

Are sure that you understood him correctly?

It is kind of hard to define what FO is to everyone, but I agree that the contrast between RL 50s optimistic view of the world and the stark reality is by large what set the mood/tone for the games. Although I suspect that what Todd meant was that the protagonist in FO4, who blinked away 200years, will be motivated by his still fresh loss..

The Prewar was falling apart before the bombs because oil ran out. Oil prices literally became over millions a gallon. I've read the entire Fallout timeline.
Are you suggesting that all US was equally effected, and that the suburb hosing vault tech applicants and army veterans, that is almost certainly were subsidized and possibly part of propaganda machine, is implausible?

p.s. at the very least it will be a better beginning then that of FO2.

I'm pretty sure the Fallout lore states everything was in an uproar before the bombs were launched. Riots everywhere.

I'm pretty sure the Fallout lore states everything was in an uproar before the bombs were launched. Riots everywhere.
That doesn't answer my question... I agree that opposition to government measures was prevalent across the country, however, I strongly doubt that riots were literally everywhere and specifically your suggestion that military\vault hood seen in the trailer isn't plausible because of the former.

You know what annoys me? Todd Howard saying Fallout is about the feeling of loss and desire to return to Pre War.

Please... Please someone somehow beat into his head that's a bunch of crap.
Fallout is about making use of the life people of the past made for them. It's about the next bloody chapter of humanity. This is something Fallout New Vegas understood explicitly. Most people don't and realistically shouldn't really know of the Pre War, and realistically shouldn't even care about it. The humans of Fallout realistically would be more worried about that deathclaw around the corner, that thug across the street, and their growling bellies spelling impending doom if food is not found.

Fallout is moving on and acceptance, not regret and attempted return.

From the wise words of Mr House, "If you want to see the fate of democracy, look out the window."

I agree with this. I've always looked at Fallout as a quest to try and rebuild humanity. The please stand by screen has always intrigued me, like it's put there as a way of saying that humanity is on pause, but ultimately humans will probably never go back to the way it was pre-war because they're savages. I feel like Randall Clark was a good example of this, a really relatable character who wanted to end it all quickly but ended up helping people and doing good at the end of his life. That's just my take it on it anyway, I feel like Todd Howard does have good intentions for the fallout franchise, but the way he sees the game is the same way that the "casuals" do. Guns, monsters, and blowing shit up.

The protagonist being 200 years old is interesting, but I doubt that the explanation for this is going to be very satisfactory.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, honestly. They seem to have come a fair way from 3 and Oblivion, and the cryo thing actually already seems to be a much more sensible, serviceable jumping off point than Fallout 3 (or even Fallout 2) gave us. I'm not expecting the moon and the stars, but, accepting the fact that the past has a far greater sense of immediacy in Bethesda's wasteland than it did with the originals, it could lead to some good storytelling opportunities.

That doesn't answer my question... I agree that opposition to government measures was prevalent across the country, however, I strongly doubt that riots were literally everywhere and specifically your suggestion that military\vault hood seen in the trailer isn't plausible because of the former.

It doesn't seem likely, in my opinion, that anyone would be in a happy and dandy state when riots are occurring everywhere, even if mostly everywhere. They'd be preparing for the worst.

You know what annoys me? Todd Howard saying Fallout is about the feeling of loss and desire to return to Pre War.

Please... Please someone somehow beat into his head that's a bunch of crap.
Fallout is about making use of the life people of the past made for them. It's about the next bloody chapter of humanity. This is something Fallout New Vegas understood explicitly. Most people don't and realistically shouldn't really know of the Pre War, and realistically shouldn't even care about it. The humans of Fallout realistically would be more worried about that deathclaw around the corner, that thug across the street, and their growling bellies spelling impending doom if food is not found.

Fallout is moving on and acceptance, not regret and attempted return.

From the wise words of Mr House, "If you want to see the fate of democracy, look out the window."

I agree with this. I've always looked at Fallout as a quest to try and rebuild humanity. The please stand by screen has always intrigued me, like it's put there as a way of saying that humanity is on pause, but ultimately humans will probably never go back to the way it was pre-war because they're savages. I feel like Randall Clark was a good example of this, a really relatable character who wanted to end it all quickly but ended up helping people and doing good at the end of his life. That's just my take it on it anyway, I feel like Todd Howard does have good intentions for the fallout franchise, but the way he sees the game is the same way that the "casuals" do. Guns, monsters, and blowing shit up.

The protagonist being 200 years old is interesting, but I doubt that the explanation for this is going to be very satisfactory.

He might not even truely see it that way. In fact, this just might be eating at him inside.
At the end of the day though, its all about the money. If he doesn't accept that, he gets fired.

Wait, so the father at the start of the game is the player character that walks out of the Vault?

Could've sworn the player character was the child grown up

Pretty sure it's the dad (or mom, if you choose to play as a female). I could be wrong, the kid may have just grown up to really, really look like one of the parents. It makes more sense to me that they'd let you play as one of the characters you customized directly instead of making you do both parents in painstaking detail and hoping the genetics shook out how you wanted them to for your main character, though.

Honestly, I think it will add a whole bunch of good RP opportunities. Will I be able to adjust quickly to survive? What will I do to salvage this world? Can I be like Nolan from Defiance? What else is possible?

It doesn't seem likely, in my opinion, that anyone would be in a happy and dandy state when riots are occurring everywhere, even if mostly everywhere. They'd be preparing for the worst.

That is your opinion. When FO2 came, most thought that talking deathclaws were not just unlikelly but stupid, so? We also used to think that when the bombs fell, humanity went with them, save for the vaults. However FO2 introduced New Reno and FO:NV landed New vegas on top.. (Funny how New Reno tone, which wasn't well received at first became the foundation of FO:NV)

Back to our case: riots =/= anarchy, and almost certainly there were still people who supported the government and armed forces, starting from various loyalist/military factions(e.g. enclave) and their families, various people who benefited during war time or had a lot to loose, people fed on propaganda and those who wanted to believe in it, etc... and don't forget the big guys in power armor with min-guns that keep the peace (Considering that the Vualts could only hold 1% of the population, its most certainly that surrounding location were isolated and heavily protected, as seen in the trailer)

That is your opinion. When FO2 came, most thought that talking deathclaws were not just unlikelly but stupid, so? We also used to think that when the bombs fell, humanity went with them, save for the vaults. However FO2 introduced New Reno and FO:NV landed New vegas on top.. (Funny how New Reno tone, which wasn't well received at first became the foundation of FO:NV)

Back to our case: riots =/= anarchy, and almost certainly there were still people who supported the government and armed forces, starting from various loyalist/military factions(e.g. enclave) and their families, various people who benefited during war time or had a lot to loose, people fed on propaganda and those who wanted to believe in it, etc... and don't forget the big guys in power armor with min-guns that keep the peace (Considering that the Vualts could only hold 1% of the population, its most certainly that surrounding location were isolated and heavily protected, as seen in the trailer)

The fact that we're debating this makes me upset that, one side is now officially correct. I'm going to miss that mystery of the past Fallout had.

You know what annoys me? Todd Howard saying Fallout is about the feeling of loss and desire to return to Pre War. [..]

Are sure that you understood him correctly?

It is kind of hard to define what FO is to everyone, but I agree that the contrast between RL 50s optimistic view of the world and the stark reality is by large what set the mood/tone for the games. Although I suspect that what Todd meant was that the protagonist in FO4, who blinked away 200years, will be motivated by his still fresh loss..

The Prewar was falling apart before the bombs because oil ran out. Oil prices literally became over millions a gallon. I've read the entire Fallout timeline.
Are you suggesting that all US was equally effected, and that the suburb hosing vault tech applicants and army veterans, that is almost certainly were subsidized and possibly part of propaganda machine, is implausible?

p.s. at the very least it will be a better beginning then that of FO2.

It doesn't say everywhere anywhere, nothing is everywhere.

We get to fly on a Vertibird and build our own armor, what else do you want?

Quests that make sense, actions that have consequences
Who says they wont have that? We have not even seen a quest? And, I noticed when talking to the robot that there was a "yellow" option, meaning their could be a "no, i think i'll just kill you" red speech option, which will make a previously unkillable character killable. The dialogue choice is just to make sure you dont kill someone by accident.

We get to fly on a Vertibird and build our own armor, what else do you want?

Quests that make sense, actions that have consequences
Who says they wont have that? We have not even seen a quest? And, I noticed when talking to the robot that there was a "yellow" option, meaning their could be a "no, i think i'll just kill you" red speech option, which will make a previously unkillable character killable. The dialogue choice is just to make sure you dont kill someone by accident.

I never said it wont have that, The question what more do you want was asked and I answered

Back