So Our Protagonist Is Over 200 Years Old

Discussion in 'Future Fallout Game Discussion' started by X12, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Reaper Shackal

Reaper Shackal King of the Dominion

Jun 19, 2015
    Just in case you accidentally shoot someone important with 30 bullets or repeatedly smack them with a bat. Just in case!

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  2. X12

X12 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 8, 2012
    Ugh, I hate it when people talk down to me, as if I be dumb enough to shoot someone on purpose if I didnt intend for them to die. i mean, something more like the chaos of battle. Trying to kills a bunch of attackers and some dumbass gets in the way. Or, the dumbass gets killed by a random encounter. I think there should be a system where if you hit someone repeatedly, their invulnerability is removed and you can kill them. Immunity to nature but not to you. Not perfect, but prevents accidents, while still giving you responsibility for your direct actions.

3. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Or just a system where people get killed if you shoot them without safety nets for idiots. Accidents also cause death, what's the point of "preventing accidents" in a game that supposedly is about player freedom? Where is the fun in something like that? They might as well just have a prompt pop up on screen every time you pull the trigger to ask you if yo uare sure you want to shoot that person.

4. The Doctor

The Doctor Veteran of The Divide

Jun 6, 2015
    I ended up shooting Amata in the head during the escape from Vault 101
    She ran in front of my intended target after I had targeted and queued actions in VATS

As long as important NPCs/Companions stay out of my line of fire, I'll definitely call FO4 an improvement over both 3 and NV

5. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    I beat the tar out of Amata with a Baseball bat in the escape from Vault 101 and then she got up after a minute.

6. The Doctor

The Doctor Veteran of The Divide

Jun 6, 2015
    Still made me feel bad
    I happily beat the snot out of Butch though (Still saved his mm though)

Heck, Republic Commando has your squadmates crouch if they walk in front of you while you're firing, and that game is nearly ten years old
    You'd think it'd be a feature in any game where you have companions following you

Or go the Half-Life 2 route and make your bullets have no effect on allies

It's why I like the "Spray and Pray" perk in NV, even though I tend to go for single-shot weapons and rarely use SMG/Rifles

Might be nice to try out a new playstyle with Fallout 4; we'lll have to wait and see

7. X12

Jun 8, 2012
    Well, theres one thing i hate about Bethesda, and its that their AI is not that good. Maybe if their first idea wasnt to "rush into battle with a fucking dragon" i wouldnt have to worry about protect their asses when I only have a Sword and (at the time) no Dragonrend.

So yeah, I am not some Bethesda fanboy. Just because Im trying to wait and see what it will actually look like and not make conclusions based on very little evidence.

8. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    I just rather not have safety nets that actually limit freedom in a game supposedly about freedom. I like when games let me fuck up and fail.

9. X12

Jun 8, 2012
    Which, once again, I suggested the "Hardcore customization" option. Why isnt that taken seriously?

10. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    It shouldn't be an option to have a game let you fuck up. It should just be the standard in this kind of games.

11. X12

Jun 8, 2012
    Thats kind of like saying: "If I play on Ultrahard, EVERYONE should play on Ultrahard."

12. Walpknut

Dec 30, 2010
    No it is more along the lines of "This safety net affects game design, they shouldn't be worrying about that when they are flaunting player freedom".

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  13. X12

Jun 8, 2012
    Well, hopefully they have better AI.

14. Reaper Shackal

Reaper Shackal King of the Dominion

Jun 19, 2015
    I'm not putting you down, I'm just adding to Walpknut's comment in that the NPC's do not easily die from you unless you go out of your way to try.
    That's why it works in Fallout New Vegas. Everyone but children and Yes Man as well as active companions (Unless in hardcore) could die, and it made the game all the more better.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  15. Hexhammer

Hexhammer First time out of the vault

Jul 20, 2015
    I find it alarming that there's even need to talk about special mode for letting companions die or the player to fuck up. What is a game in which you can't loose? One of the great sides of original FO games is that nothing is certain and theres million ways to fuck things up and end up to a early grave. And besides, there's save and load buttons for undoing any fuckups and bad luck if you feel like it. These days games have a annoying tendency to guide and hold players hand and make sure that even an idiot can beat the game. Those "qualities" should be kept away from a real Fallout game in my opinion.

16. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    But see, that is the issue. Many tell us that we want to force everyone to play the games how we want to play them when the truth is that the developers got everyone to play on ultraeasy and pretty much making it the only option - see Skyrim. Compare games of the past to many popular games today.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  17. Juza The Cloud

Juza The Cloud Nanto Goshasei

Jun 3, 2015
    Does anyone think the protagonist fought in the Gobi Campaign or Anchorage, Sea of Tranquility ?

18. raycald

raycald First time out of the vault

Nov 7, 2015
    Great question! i've wondered about this all thru FO3 and NV.

19. Jedasd

Jedasd It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 31, 2015
    If it will evet get a mention in the game, Im sure it will be Anchorage.

20. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    You suddenly made me fear the following scenario; a simulation based on the player's memories when he/she fought at the Sea of Tranquillity (think the player and enemies dressed in space suits on the moon, a DLC similar to Operation Anchorage)

• [Like] [Like] x 1