Some Chris Avellone shenanigans on twatter

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin

It all begun with some random dude jokingly asking Elon Musk on twitter if "Should we be nervous that you are building rockets, an army of robots, and say English will end?". To which Elon Musk replied:

Elon Musk said:
@28delayslater said:
Should we be nervous that you are building rockets, an army of robots, and say English will end?

It’s basically the plot of Fallout: New Vegas

Our dear Chris Avellone picked up on this and replied:
Chris Avellone said:
Well, there you have it

He then got some questions were the answers could be of interest even though it's already known:

Q: Why? Are you one of the people that consider him a genius?
CA: No, he played Fallout New Vegas, which is more than most rich people do except Matthew Perry. Also the failure to fund the United States space program seemed it would let my dreams of space travel in our time die until SpaceX came along, so maybe this dream can happen too.
Q: Avellone, why did you try to reset the setting in Lonesome Road?
CA: Wanted to set the stage for New Vegas 2 but it's a much longer answer, like essay-long, to explain If you haven't seen me post an answer in 3 months, ping me again in all caps with WHAT GIVES YOU LIAR
Q: Ah, okay. I was mad at you for a while about that, my favoriye setting being doomed, but then I realized: Tunnelers hate bright lights, and it's Vegas. They couldn't threaten anything. Besides, Ulysses isn't omnipotent, he could just be straight up wrong.
CA: Villains/antagonists are frequently very, very wrong, and if not in their ideology, in their execution of said ideology Tunnelers are an excuse to change world geometry since laying out Mojave correctly was a pain in the ass, and terrain can't change easily w/o an excuse

It's okay to be mad, though, that's how all good antagonists begin their march to being the main "villain" of the piece
Q: Could we play as Ghouls or Super Mutants in the game? Because that would be awesome!
CA: Was the intention as far back as Fallout Van Buren
Q: I remember that was also the plan for New Vegas, but it for scrapped due to bug issues
CA: Nope, was never on the table for discussion. In the time frame we had, that would have been way too difficult, and we never even proposed it. Boy, did we have bugs though! Release was a mess, only ourselves to blame.
Q: Hey, if you don't mind then I just wanted to hear it from someone who actually worked on the project, was it you who wrote New Vegas or Josh Sawyer?
CA: Neither, although both of us wrote for it along with a bunch of other writers. The Lead Writer who is rarely given credit was John Gonzalez of Horizon Zero Dawn and Shadow of Mordor, but he quit the 2nd Horizon project last year and moved on to greener pastures.
Q: The Fallout license is now owned by Microsoft and if I were you, I'd go back to Obsidian and work on a Fallout sequel
CA: Nah, they're just doing Avowed and Outer Worlds as their big projects
Q: Well you can always send the @Project_F4NV team some love, I know they're working hard and trying to recreate what they can.
CA: Okay, give me a moment
Q: Hi @ChrisAvellone It always bugged me: why was Fallout 2 less "grim" and "serious" compared to Fallout 1? Was it an art direction you took from the start or did it unfold in the middle of development?
CA: Was it grim and serious? A lot of players said the opposite, I thought, and not in a good way. I was probably one of them.

Art direction was the same throughout project, was Gary Platner. There was a LOT of Art to do in a short time, though, even with existing assets.
Q: Chris Avellone is taking potshots at Obsidian every chance he gets. He's resentful towards the team for obvious reasons. Not reliable to talk about the development of Avowed in any way.
CA: No ill will toward the team at all, I even approve and support some of the personnel changes, especially the Project Director role, but you can always use LinkedIn as an alternate confirming source, no need to take my word for it.

Then he followed up with a tweet that read:
Chris Avellone said:
Since someone suggested why the fuck not: Dear @elonmusk please buy the Fallout franchise and I will work on it for free even if it means walking on the surface of Mars and taking off my helmet

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
It'd be hilarious if Elon actually bought Fallout but considering how much of a milk cow it's going to be for Microsoft who shelled out like a billion for Bethesda it wouldn't make much sense to give it up. Though Elon could probably get a deal with Microsoft to get to create a couple of games.

I'm not a fan of Elon Musk. Dude is a major sleazeball and a charlatan. Not fond of people who drool over him either.

Sure but it's still great to hear him finally acknowledging the fact. And publicly.

Yeah, anyone that thinks Microsoft will allow Inxile and Obsidian to make a Fallout game are fooling themselves.

Quote me here if it ends up actually happening, until then i'm gonna believe that it never will because why would it happen? From the casual perspective the brand is more associated with Bethesda than any other company.

I am glad he gives Gonzales the credit he deserves. Still to this day I see people state that Avellone wrote New Vegas when he didn't.

Isn't common knowledge that Avellone wrote mostly DLC and didn't had much to do with the base game?

Apparently not, or at least it has stopped being so. Outside of here whenever anyone talks about who wrote New Vegas they never mention Gonzales and always Chris Avellone. Some people don't even know Josh Sawyer directed the game either altho he gets more mentions than Gonzales by a lot. Even videos about "appreciating New Vegas as a master peice" I see people doing it. I think the only one I have seen that does mention Gonzales is Hbomberguy's video.

Last edited:
I guess there are a lot of fans who haven't followed Sawyer's blog, or done their research. Or maybe there are new fans jumping in, which would be cool. Although I'm not sure where they would get the impression that Avellone was the lead writer...

It still bugs me how often even knowledgeable youtubers credit Black Isle for making Fallout 1.

Apparently not, or at least it has stopped being so. Outside of here whenever anyone talks about who wrote New Vegas they never mention Gonzales and always Chris Avellone. Some people don't even know Josh Sawyer directed the game either altho he gets more mentions than Gonzales by a lot. Even videos about "appreciating New Vegas as a master peice" I see people doing it. I think the only one I have seen that does mention Gonzales is Hbomberguy's video.
If only they woulda took on some of the people here at NMA to direct some quests or write some DLC for FNV. Then it could truly be called a masterpiece. Also Persona 4 was better than 5

Yeah, anyone that thinks Microsoft will allow Inxile and Obsidian to make a Fallout game are fooling themselves.

Quote me here if it ends up actually happening, until then i'm gonna believe that it never will because why would it happen? From the casual perspective the brand is more associated with Bethesda than any other company.

A moot point since, honestly, Obsidian isn't all that good anymore and Inxile never was good to begin with.

If only they woulda took on some of the people here at NMA to direct some quests or write some DLC for FNV. Then it could truly be called a masterpiece. Also Persona 4 was better than 5

To any Microsoft talent hunters reading this: I'm willing to work at my usual rates of 500USD an hour, but I'll charge 1000USD extra for every time I have to correct something Emil wrote to make it less retarded.

Wait, didn’t they? I know Black Isle studios didn’t technically exist at the time but wasn’t that just the studio Interplay grouped all the fallout 1 developers into?

There were some of the same people, but yes, Black Isle didn't exist yet, so Fallout 1 was developed by Interplay. I guess that could be considered nitpicky, but it seems weird to credit a studio with a product that was made before the studio existed, when those people worked for another studio. It would be like crediting Irrational for making Thief.

And if you look at the credits, there are significant personnel differences between the two games. Which can change even within a studio, but if a studio name is going to mean anything at all, I would prefer to just credit whichever studio's name is on the game.

There were some of the same people, but yes, Black Isle didn't exist yet, so Fallout 1 was developed by Interplay. I guess that could be considered nitpicky, but it seems weird to credit a studio with a product that was made before the studio existed, when those people worked for another studio. It would be like crediting Irrational for making Thief.

And if you look at the credits, there are significant personnel differences between the two games. Which can change even within a studio, but if a studio name is going to mean anything at all, I would prefer to just credit whichever studio's name is on the game.
I see what you’re saying. If I remember correctly, I think that Black Isle Studios included most of those who worked on Fallout when the studio was formed, but many of them later left throughout the development of Fallout 2 (supposedly due to poor management from Interplay)

Back