Something to think about. A few words about Fallout 3 .

Kahgan said:
Freudian said:
When did Bethesda say they intended to make a sequel using the exact same mechanics as in Fallout 1 & 2? Because that is basically what the guy quoted in OP is accusing Bethesda of not doing.

And Bethsoft never said that they wanted to stay true to the originals?

I think they would argue that they indeed have. Of course if you choose to define "true" in a wildly different way than they are, you may come to another conclusion.

Freudian said:
And Fallout 3 is a post apocalyptic role playing game, just like Fallout 1 and 2 was.

But if you feel more comfortable calling it a spinoff or not a true sequel, I think you can go ahead and do so. It's just a semantic issue and not worth wasting time on anyway.

Well, Beth said it was a true sequel. I believe it's an issue worth discussing, because they're trying to sell the game for what it is not.

Planescape:Torment is a "fantasy role-playing game". Doesn't mean it'd be fine if Beth bought the title and called Elder Scrolls V a PS:T sequel

Freudian (and everyone else), please trim your quotes and don't double post.

There's a very big difference between a spin-off and a full sequel. Because a full sequel can change the direction of a series.
In other words, now that this is Fallout 3, there's likely to never be a Fallout X anything like the first two games.

Also, Bethesda have said over and over again that they're huge fans of the original games and trying to stay as faithful as possible to them.

Lastly, the idea that Bethesda have to do this to remain commercially viable is both an unproven myth, and completely irrelevant. Whether or not they need to do this *does not make this game any more of a Fallout game to us*.

While we are here ranting and crying over Fallout 3 beth is having parties celebrating the review scores and the GOTY nominations ( this might even win GOTY on many sites since it's all a world of shit anyway), don't forget the millions and millions of dollars beth is making these weeks on this game.

The original creators of Fallout and we the true fans are the only one feeling bad.

You think the masses of console faggots even care about fallout 1 / 2?

They are happy with their new retarded FPS / crippled RPG game

Fact is: it's all shit and ten years of waiting for nothing.

It's a good thing Fallout 3 isn't the foundation of this community, then?

I find myself sharing the sentiments of most of the veterans here although I can agree with Freudians observations too. He speaks the truth none of us particuarly want to hear.

I was one of the rabid minority that berated Bethesda on their forums for turning Morrowind into Oblivion. Many of you are going through the same emotions with regards to the Fallout games here. Indeed I'm sharing the pain, although I've mellowed a little in my late twenties. Sadly it may be more to do with a grudging acceptance that the quality of PC games is faltering, rather than my age having any bearing.

I know its a cliche but look on the brightside, Bethesda will likely release a brilliant modding tool. Trust the community to turn a 7/10 experience into a 10/10 experience because thats exactly what they did with Oblivion.

popej said:
I find myself sharing the sentiments of most of the veterans here although I can agree with Freudians observations too. He speaks the truth none of us particuarly want to hear.

I was one of the rabid minority that berated Bethesda on their forums for turning Morrowind into Oblivion. Many of you are going through the same emotions with regards to the Fallout games here. Indeed I'm sharing the pain, although I've mellowed a little in my late twenties. Sadly it may be more to do with a grudging acceptance that the quality of PC games is faltering, rather than my age having any bearing.

I know its a cliche but look on the brightside, Bethesda will likely release a brilliant modding tool. Trust the community to turn a 7/10 experience into a 10/10 experience because thats exactly what they did with Oblivion.

Agreed, 110% in fact. However, it's not Fallout in the least, something everyone should be able to agree with.

What really bugs me is that before, there was a chance, however small, that Interplay, or some other company that bought the license would gather together as much of the original Fallout team as possible and make a real sequel. Now, though, Bethesda will keep on releasing console FPS games titled Fallout 4,5,6, etc for massive profits, and most likely won't want to give up the license.

Skynet 2.0 said:
What really bugs me is that before, there was a chance, however small, that Interplay, or some other company that bought the license would gather together as much of the original Fallout team as possible and make a real sequel. Now, though, Bethesda will keep on releasing console FPS games titled Fallout 4,5,6, etc for massive profits, and most likely won't want to give up the license.

Wait, didn't you hear? In Fallout 4, the world will fall into medieval darkness, and you'll have to save the world with your sword and magic! Awsum, in't it?

/sarcasm

Skynet 2.0 said:

Interplay can't afford to hire a piece of paper to write "NO MONEY" onto.
And how many of the original Fallout team was even working on Van Buren?

The best bet was Troika and they're dead so bethesda would have probably just bought the license off of them, Just wait for Brian Fargo to make Wasteland 2 (but good luck getting that greenlighted)

As someone who crawled through the ooze that was Wasteland on the C64, waited eagerly for GURPS Fallout (and was disappointed when they kicked SJ Games to the curb and excited with the final product), and played every expansion since for different takes on the franchise, allow me to say this.

THIS
GAME
WILL
MAKE
THE
SERIES.

This game will be the make or brake of the series. If it's enough of a financial success it will spawn sequels.

If it continues on the fan base will expand.

Larger fan base = more modders and more people shaping it into what the true fans want it to be.

I have faith and hope and knowledge on how the modding community for Oblivion acts, and the things I wanted this game to be, and the things that the majority of my friends wanted this game to be... our faith is that it will become that in the modding community -

IF AND ONLY IF THERE IS ENOUGH PEOPLE DRAWN INTO THE MODDING COMMUNITY.

Which I think will be. "Oblivion with guns" and all that.

Otherwise, all we have left is a bunch of snake squeezins on a dirty cloth.

Diebold said:
As someone who crawled through the ooze that was Wasteland on the C64, waited eagerly for GURPS Fallout (and was disappointed when they kicked SJ Games to the curb and excited with the final product), and played every expansion since for different takes on the franchise, allow me to say this.

THIS
GAME
WILL
MAKE
THE
SERIES.

This game will be the make or brake of the series. If it's enough of a financial success it will spawn sequels.

If it continues on the fan base will expand.

Larger fan base = more modders and more people shaping it into what the true fans want it to be.

I have faith and hope and knowledge on how the modding community for Oblivion acts, and the things I wanted this game to be, and the things that the majority of my friends wanted this game to be... our faith is that it will become that in the modding community -

IF AND ONLY IF THERE IS ENOUGH PEOPLE DRAWN INTO THE MODDING COMMUNITY.

Which I think will be. "Oblivion with guns" and all that.

Otherwise, all we have left is a bunch of snake squeezins on a dirty cloth.

Snake oil for sale!

Free bobblehead with every "Oblivion Gun" purchase!

No, but seriously, I agree with you. Cento Per Cento. If this game proves stock-jump worthy, bethesda would have to be half-retarded and impaled on a missile not to pursue expansion of the franchise. Will they ever get it right? Probably not. Will they make an assload of coin? Yes. Will console g4m|2z claim to be die hard FO fans? Yes. Will they have ever played wasteland, nevermind the first two games?

Snowballs in hell, anyone?

Neuron said:
The original creators of Fallout and we the true fans are the only one feeling bad.

You think the masses of console faggots even care about fallout 1 / 2?

Look man, I know you're disappointed and all, but that is offensive on several levels.

Fallout 1 and 2 are, along with Jagged Alliance 2, my favorite games of all time. I have beaten Fallout 2 a dozen times with different characters and approaches, bought it six times (two for me, PC and Mac, four for friends just to discover it to them) and you'll have a hard time finding somebody who likes the series more.

Still,

You're nobody to say who the "true" fans are, step off your pedestal.

And... console faggots? Way to generalize about a market that *beats the living daylights* of the PC gaming market. I'm a strategy and RPG gamer, which means I'm restricted to PC if I want something good, but I'm really getting tired of people who seem to think PC gamers are the master race and everyone who owns a console is a 12 year-old with Asperger's.

I know several "console kiddie faggots" who would write a post ten times more reasonable than yours, so cool it.

Also I haven't heard a bad word said about fallout 3 from the original developers. How many of them do you think would drop their current jobs to work on Fallout again?

Having an "alternative" from them would be pretty sweet, too bad the license is not in their hands anymore.

And if you think what happened to Fallout is bad, check Jagged Alliance... :P

For that one we're not even getting a bad sequel. Not until 2010 at least. Smells like vaporware.

In any case, I'm almost certain that the Fallout devs love the series like a child, so I'm pretty sure they'd rush back at it if they had the chance.

Freudian said:
Obviously OP and the guy he quoted set out to be dissapointed and offended by Fallout 3. They (not surpisingly) succeeded.

That why he waited until after the game came out to vent his frustration - because he was predisposed to hate it.

Freudian said:
Fallout 3 is not like Fallout 1 & 2 . That has been known for since 2003. You have had five years to get used to the idea and failed. Is it out of stubborness? Going into it with a checklist and then penalizing it for not being like F2 says more about you than the game.

It says I expect certain things from a sequel - especially a sequel to two of the best games ever made. "Fallout 3" could easily have made all the checks on my list, or it could have made some, but not others. Unfortunately it's made few. What that says about me is that I don't automatically accept what I'm handed just because it's there. In other words, I have standards. If I ask for oranges and I get cucumbers, it hardly counts as stubbornness to say, "Wait a minute, I asked for oranges, not cucumbers."

Freudian said:
It is a pretty big post-apocalyptic shooter/exploration game/light RPG with surprisingly well done atmosphere. That was pretty much what I expected and that is why I am somewhat pleasantly surprised.

Others disagree. Besides, the game you describe, "a pretty big post-apocalyptic shooter/exploration game/light RPG" is about as far away as you can get from Fallout and still call it a RPG.

Freudian said:
If I want F1 & F2 I reinstall them and play through them once again. They certainly are good enough for that.

You uninstall them?

Freudian said:
As for reviews. I find it very endearing that the anti-F3 people have created a belief system where all positive reviews of F3 are symptoms of a corrupt gaming press and if there are any negative reviews you jump all over it praising that guy for telling the truth. You see, no matter what people say about the game your belief system makes you interpret that as a perfect fit in your "F3 is horrible" general view. L. Ron Hubbard would be highly impressed.

I think you're being disingenuous when you say you find it endearing.

If you consider "Fallout 3" to be so good, why does it bother you that there's one kook-filled website out there for people who dislike it? That says more about you than it does about the game.

Doolan said:
a market that *beats the living daylights* of the PC gaming market.

I am happy you got that fact straight, and you know why?

*Money to be made.
*Mainstream audience.
*Console Availability. (i will have that xbax gift wrapped for my grandchild please V.S getting a decent gaming p.c)
*Demand.

Go learn some basic marketing and target audience mechanics.

I am not even going to argue with you about games being simplified and dumbed down and even whole control schemes changed cause of no keyboard/mouse support on the consoles.

Someone wrote somewhere on this forum , or maybe even in this post:

We don't need more HALOS and more TOP SELLING games that will cash in millions for greedy developers who just make games for the money.
We need specific games for specific audiences.
And fallout was exactly that, which has now been turned into LULZ WOW HEADSHOT!!!!! OMGZZZ WOWOWOWO SO EPIC!!!

I play games to enjoy, not to hype 2 years before release and then cumm over the release parties and special editions boxes,
only to play the game for 2 weeks and throw it aside cause its empty, hollow and shitty.

We need specific games.
All we wanted was a Fallout, we got crapout.

side note: Fallout 3's A.I is ALONE a reason to start ranking the game from 8 and down.

10/10 : Joke of the year.

After carefully reviewing this thread and analyzing the different opinions and arguments, I decided to resist stating my own before proper contemplation.

Having said that, I believe this article I came across should speak for itself.

It's an interview with Bethesda's VP for Marketing & Public Relations Pete Hines from 2007.

http://spong.com/feature/10109624

For those who cannot be bothered to jump or read the article, I'll give a quick summary. Most of the information is already known but I would just like to reiterate them.

Basically, what Pete says is that none of the original Fallout team were involved with Fallout 3. Unsurprising, yes but this further contributes to the fact that Fallout 3 would expectedly be unable to retain the original flavor.

Whatever it is, in this interview, Pete states more than once that the team involved with Fallout 3 is none other than the team from Oblivion. Is it a big surprise then that Fallout 3 turned out to be more than a striking similarity to Oblivion?

I know it will be a back and forth argument and debate but it's a clear stated fact that Fallout 3 is not a Fallout game in its truest form. It is, however politically incorrect it may be, in essence, "Oblivion with guns".

That is my firm opinion because I for one am a Fallout purist and loved both Fallout 1 and 2 but seriously guys, I've played Oblivion and liked it a lot. However, to see a Fallout game massacred like this is just saddening and extremely disappointing. I simply cannot fathom why the word 'Fallout' is in its title.

Yes, it's much different than Fallout 1 and 2 or even Oblivion but other than the decals, NPCs, objects and whatnot, the skeletal framework of the whole bloody thing IS Oblivion.

You have massive airtime during jumps.
You can grab items for no discernible reason with an invisible hand.
Third-person view is absolute shite.
You can kill almost anything even at Level 1. Try it and see. Just shoot, run, shoot. Repeat. I experimented with this and lo and behold, fresh out of the Vault, I managed to kill a Super Mutant with the above tactic.
Dialog manipulates time and space by freezing everything behind the NPC talking to you.

I could go on but it's just too depressing. Bethesda, thanks for traumatizing a Fallout fan.

Back