[SPOILERS] Super Mutants in Fallout 3

DaveTheRave said:
[spoiler:d6124cf256]Gentlemen, meet Fawkes. One, if not only, friendly Super Mutant in Fallout 3.

He is considered a "failure" in the experiment (he was deemed a failure because he could talk, supposedly) and was left inside a cell for observation at the Vault Labs in Vault 87.

You see, the labs at Vault 87 were assigned to a project called the "Evolutionary Experimentation Program", Or EEP for short.

Consider Vault 87 much like the military base at Mariposa. It was used to test modified strains of the Forced Evolutionary Virus (FEV) on clean, healthy citizens. Vault Dwellers.

However, they could never get their modified strain just right.

After all the modifications that were made to it, the modified FEV was superior in physical adaptions, but tended to decrease intelligence (instead of increase, which never was the case anyways with super mutants) and caused the subjects to exhibit bouts of rage and anxiety.
[/spoiler:d6124cf256]
[spoiler:d6124cf256]It's one thing to retcon canon that you don't like but when you don't retcon that canon and even mention it and then go straight in the face of it, you've got a problem. What's worse is that it not only goes in the face of canon, it goes in the face of the purpose of the facility in which this guy was mutated and studied. Egads.

Then there's Harold. Anyone know if he talks or is he just a tree with a face (yeah, that's likely :roll: )?[/spoiler:d6124cf256]

The Dutch Ghost said:
Well at least in the second case Harold's presence fills more of a purpose.

[spoiler:a264698c2a]And he isn't turned into a tree[/spoiler:a264698c2a]

[spoiler:a264698c2a]Well to be honest Diana was turning him into something more like a self propeled sentient grape vine. (yes Im making a splicing joke)[/spoiler:a264698c2a]

[spoiler:be4cfa5331]I take it that Harold is in the north part of the map? If you follow the main quest line you don't really go north much.I had hoped that he would make a cameo. [/spoiler:be4cfa5331]

hmm

[spoiler:2d34b1b138]I actually have to say that based on how 50s military projects went and were funded, it is entirely believable that the government would have funded multiple FEV style projects at the same time and completely independent of each other.

The harold thing sounds like they put him in to make a cameo. Then gave him the purpose of rejuvinating the soil. Not a great idea, but far from the mess some of you are making it out to be.
[/spoiler:2d34b1b138]

anyway, just felt I would add in the opinion of the loyal opposition :)

Wow, you people keep using spoiler tags despite the fact that this entire thread is just spoiler territory.

Oh well, I'll go along

[spoiler:6dfa4d2ecc]it is entirely believable that the government would have funded multiple FEV style projects at the same time and completely independent of each other. [/spoiler:6dfa4d2ecc]

[spoiler:6dfa4d2ecc]It would be if FEV worked as it intended to, if it were intended as a mutagenic to create super-soldiers, which is what Fallout 3's description of the EEP makes. But FEV was never intended like that, making the EEP fairly separate from the canon concept of FEV[/spoiler:6dfa4d2ecc]

Sicblades said:
I chuckled...

Didn't he mention that it took him forever to get to Gecko... How the hell would he have made it all the way to DC? Ugh.

Maybe Skeeter set him up with a Highwayman! BRUM BRUM!

Anyway, Harold looks horrible and ugly in that pic...Harold was a jolly old gimmer not some hideous tree-hybrid. *Sulking*

Brother None said:
Wow, you people keep using spoiler tags despite the fact that this entire thread is just spoiler territory.
Hey man, it's like totally the OP's fault man. We were just like, totally doing what he did man. Like, isn't that right Scoob?

Burtolio said:
Anyway, Harold looks horrible and ugly in that pic...Harold was a jolly old gimmer not some hideous tree-hybrid. *Sulking*
I actually think that he looks pretty good, it just doesn't make any bloody sense. Even if Harlod could make the trek across the country and even if Bob could eventually completely engulf him and turn him into a tree, let alone a tree that makes an oasis, both happening in 35 years is fucking absurd.

I really think he looks horrible, and the whole concept is retarded.

I expect no less from BS.

Pope Viper said:
I really think he looks horrible, and the whole concept is retarded.

I expect no less from BS.
I agree that the concept is horrible ("makes no bloody sense") for a Fallout game but do you think that he looks bad as a standalone 3D model?

I agree with Garlic, the Harold model would be really cool in a high fantasy game or something.

Just not as Harold in Fallout 3.

Brother None said:

Oh well, I'll go along

[spoiler:b157366385]it is entirely believable that the government would have funded multiple FEV style projects at the same time and completely independent of each other. [/spoiler:b157366385]

[spoiler:b157366385]It would be if FEV worked as it intended to, if it were intended as a mutagenic to create super-soldiers, which is what Fallout 3's description of the EEP makes. But FEV was never intended like that, making the EEP fairly separate from the canon concept of FEV[/spoiler:b157366385]
[spoiler:b157366385]to be fair their was a gap in time between when the FEV project was tested on soldiers when it was shut down by an army unit going into open revolt and the start of the war, its also posible that the "PIV/FEV" viruse was being developed for Civilian use and thats what the that Vault was actualy going for[/spoiler:b157366385]

UncannyGarlic said:
Then there's Harold. Anyone know if he talks or is he just a tree with a face (yeah, that's likely :roll: )?

He talks. Alot too, considering the time you spend with him (one mission) He gives the player some background history of himself, talks about Bob/Herbert, jokes with the players, etc.

Texas Renegade said:
The harold thing sounds like they put him in to make a cameo. Then gave him the purpose of rejuvinating the soil. Not a great idea, but far from the mess some of you are making it out to be.

Exactly right. He really serves no purpose, hes only there to surprise the player really.

Did I mention you can kill Harold? There's multiple ways, one being lighting him on fire (earns bad karma) and he makes this painful screaming sound for awhile.

Diebold said:
I take it that Harold is in the north part of the map?

Oh yeah, he's as north as it gets. Hidden in the rocks, hard to spot. A lot of the game's secrets are north.

Eyenixon said:
He isn't fleshy enough, nor is he green enough.

The picture really doesn't do him justice. He's really detailed, and yes, could be a little more fleshy.

And apparently he has no leaves because he's in his "fall" season (GET IT?! Fall/Fallout? I crack myself up) he just got done making more of those pod/seed things that makes more plants. Doesn't make sense why hes on a different clock then the rest of the trees... but oh well!

Mikael Grizzly said:
Vaults were a social experiment, not a backup operation.

This confuses me too. Its unclear if Vault 87's goal was more than the experimentation of the modified FEV virus, but then eventually turned out like that after the Labs got corrupted (or something). I don't know. Time will tell.

All I know is that when the bombs fell, life in the Vault changed. The Overseer demanded all citizens to volunteer in the experiment. He ether told them it was a medical experiment, or they were getting flu shots or something. Whatever the case may be, all the citizens of Vault 87 eventually became hideous mutants because of their part in the program.

Come to think of it, if this Vault is the only source of mutants in D.C.(undetermined at this time), there was ether a lot of people in that vault or after the Vault opened, someone/something continued to experiment/use the facility to infect outside survivors.

Because there seems to be a lot of mutants in the game, and the numbers increase day by day according to the Brotherhood Of Steel.

The issue is FEV started as the PVP, a immunity vaccine developed at West Tek.

Then it became the FEV, the Mariposa Military Base was build just for FEV research with West Tek being cut from it when the military realized PVP value for a "super soldier" program, West Tek did retain FEV vats.

Then you have Maxson rebellion that was during the Great War, point is nobody in the Enclave could know how it was going when the bombs drop as it was still under development.

Then you have the FEV mutation, the pure stuff is the one that was in Mariposa base as the ones that was in West Tek was evaporated when a nuke hit the vats, mutated, made airborne and effected pretty much everything on the surface as the wind carried it.

That is why "pure" humans were required but they could not possibly know that before the war since it was impossible to foreseen what happened in West Tek.

So Vault 87 makes no sense as a "testing ground" pre-war.

After the war is a different matter, we know the Enclave managed to get a hold of samples of the FEV in Mariposa and completed their studies over it but what did they do?

They experimented in Deathclaws ... its pretty clear the Enclave was not really going to start their own Super Human/Mutant project with humans, at least not when they were at the height of their power.

Their other use for FEV was development of a toxin to kill all of the FEV tainted humans, that shows that the Enclave is very much anti-mutant and xenophobe and in no way would consider creating Super Mutants.

The only way to salvage this mess would be the Enclave was trying to recreate the toxin and used Vault 87 as a control group, then something gone horrible wrong and they end up creating a new type of FEV.

I like the idea of Harold being a tree, but I think they did it wrong. The way his body is suspended there.

However, I also like the idea of the tree becoming sick and dying, which, IIRC, was canon wasn't it? A completely new, viable species of plant, dying from disease.

Come to think of it, if this Vault is the only source of mutants in D.C.(undetermined at this time), there was ether a lot of people in that vault or after the Vault opened, someone/something continued to experiment/use the facility to infect outside survivors.

We know that the mutants are capturing humans, probably to dip them in FEV.

Back