Stargate: Universe - Your thoughts?

Maphusio

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
I've watched the first three episodes and up until this point was not really enthused about the new direction the creators of Stargate had taken this latest incarnation.

No please do not misunderstand me, I'm not saying that I don't like it, it was more of a "I'm not sure about this" feeling. Things became confusing in the first two episodes, I being an avid Stargate fan had to really think about why certain things were the way they were, so I could only imagine what one that is not as addicted as I am must have felt.

I watched this weeks episode and things began to tie together. Finally things are starting to feel less empty and that character driven plot Peter, Joseph and Brad had been talking about started to shine through. Still it has become less about the what and where and much more about the WHO in Stargate. Making this the biggest Space Opera of them all.

What are the other Stargate fans here at NMA thinking about this?

For fun, I found some hilarious (and very adorable) photo's of elyse levesque when she read her script for her nude scene. I can't quite figure out how to do thumb-nailed links here so here is the thumbnail and below is the link to the photo.

elyselevesquenude.th.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/elyselevesquenude.jpg/

it reminds me of red dwarf minus comedy crossed with general hospital with a stargate in it

i have been watching it...

for me the biggest indicator that i was not watching stargate was the desert planet episode.

in classic stargate, the episode would have been about the dust devils.

in the new stargate, they are completely ignored.

"hey, lets make a stargate show where we can really go all out on the alien interaction and situations, and then just ignore them!"

I dont know exactly why ... but at some point I stoped watching Star Gate completely. I guess it really got pretty confusing for me after some time when it all got biger, or introduced a "new" universe with Atlantis, Ori and what not else ...

Soap operas in SPACE SPACE space space ..... .....

I watched the first two episodes and I was worried with the first with the second confirming my fears of it being yet another crappy drama. Stargate was never the greatest show but at least it was amusing and distracting, SG:U is just long and boring. I also found it amusing that they decided to have one of the characters be super religious despite the major theme in SG1 being that religion is all a crock invented by more advanced species and civilizations in order to control humanity. It really goes with the network changing it's name from SciFi to Sifi. All in all, another crappy show to add to the lineup.

Just a note to those that want to post in this thread. Try not to put spoilers in it so as not to spoil it for the rest. Or if you must, put a warning in your post.

JR Jansen said:
Just a note to those that want to post in this thread. Try not to put spoilers in it so as not to spoil it for the rest. Or if you must, put a warning in your post.

Did my spoiler do anything more than interest you in watching? :D

UncannyGarlic, its "SyFy" :wink:

im pretty sure they were talking to me

while if you havent seen the new stargate mentioning a desert planet with dust devils may seem like a spoiler...

in the new stargate it seems like mentioning alien life is not the spoiler.

mentioning interactions between the SGU cast is the spoiler...

this show the spoiler is what they SAY, not what they DO...

Mmm, spoilers ahead?

A surprise attack, a spaceship lost in space in the way to earth, a megalomaniac doctor, an hallucination priest who says God has a plan, the search of water...
Now why do I have the impression I already seen this show?

Only difference so far in this cheap imitation, is the fat mmo geek in the middle of this (why is he there anyway?), so the FANS can identify to him... That tells a lot about the vision the producers have of their viewers...

Anyway, i always found the stargate series as a 'lets make lulz piknik on other worlds/galaxies and save the universe" TV show.
So if they supress the picnic part...

Grayswandir said:
A surprise attack, a spaceship lost in space in the way to earth, a megalomaniac doctor, an hallucination priest who says God has a plan, the search of water...
I've read a fair number of comparisons to Battlestar Galactica (BSG to fans) but as I've only seen a couple episodes, I can't say. The episodes of BSG that I saw really didn't interest me, nor did the ads for the show, but I do believe that the episode that I can remember watching was higher quality than SG-U.

That all said, I'd say that Farscape (maybe season 2 but certainly 3&4) is the way to go with drama in sci-fi shows. It's good to have as an integral part of the show but it shouldn't be the end all of the show, with everything else being secondary to the point of almost not mattering. SPOILER: The dust devils in SG:U is a great example of the afore mentioned problem as without some explanation for them (which might be coming later, maybe the Ancients?) they are pretty terrible deus ex machina.

Was anyone else distracted last episode?

Tits3.jpg

Anyway the show could be good but there has been big problems with Stargate's producers for years now. Also if Lucian Alliance are part of the show I will stop watching.

Anyway the show could be good but there has been big problems with Stargate's producers for years now. Also if Lucian Alliance are part of the show I will stop watching.

I am curious, what problems?

I have to say that earlier SG-1 was in some cases far more interesting than the later seasons.

The Dutch Ghost said:

I am curious, what problems?

I have to say that earlier SG-1 was in some cases far more interesting than the later seasons.

you hit the nail right on the head good sir, 'Torment of Tantalus', 'Window of Opportunity' are perfect examples of that.

WoO is a "filler" episode, not an overall plot epi or anything... its filler.

and of course, its one of the most popular epis of the whole series.

what does that say, a filler epi they wrote for the hell of it is one of their most popular epis in a 10 year, 200+ run.

oniell, what are you doing!
in the middle of my backswing!!!

gotta give it more epis to see what they do when they get past all the "air, water, power, food" episodes and when they get to the actual meat of the show what they are going to do. in SGA they got past all that within like 3-4? episodes and got to the meat which was good imo. but they did keep the focus on the gate and adventure rather than the crew and drama.

have to see what they do with a focus on the crew rather than adventure.

SGA didnt grow on me untill about epi 5

but at least the opener really grabbed me...

not so much with SGU. it had a few good parts, but overall i was meh.

TheWesDude said:
SGA didnt grow on me untill about epi 5

but at least the opener really grabbed me...

not so much with SGU. it had a few good parts, but overall i was meh.

SGA did not have me until midway through the first season. I was bent on the cancellation of SG1 despite it going for 10 seasons. I felt that SG1 was abruptly canceled to make way for SGA instead of being canceled appropriately.

SG1 was supposed to be cancelled after season 6

then it was supposed to be cancelled after 7

then 8

then 9

and they were given season 10 to wrap it up. thats why season 9 and 10 were so "fast" arc wise.

but yea, it usually takes a while for the SG shows to garner a following. but i am not sure how many "fans" will keep watching SGU to keep it going for the planned 5 seasons. would be interesting to see viewership ratings from 1-10 when they get to ep 10. they normally do 20 epis per year.

Grayswandir said:

This.

The network wanted a BSG-look alike (or else nothing) and the makers turned their backs to their fans by changing the things that made stargate in the first place and kept those fans watching for over 10 years. Some of that was already showing it's ugly face on the last season of SGA (which was cancelled pretty nastily btw).

Grayswandir said:
Only difference so far in this cheap imitation, is the fat mmo geek in the middle of this (why is he there anyway?), so the FANS can identify to him... That tells a lot about the vision the producers have of their viewers...

This too.

Since the chances of it changing to something recognizable as Stargate are slim to none, i hope this crap fails (well, it already does) and gets cancelled.

SGA wasnt cancelled nastily, the whole goal from the 2nd season was MGM wanted to do spinoffs that lasted for 5 seasons and then they did a new show...

so per MGM, SGU will have a max of 5 seasons, and then we will get a new spinoff.

and if SGU is as successful as SGA/SG1, then it will get movies as well.

and if SGU fails and gets cancelled, no idea if MGM will do another show or what direction they will take. they may just say screw it and devote themselves to SG1/SGA movies. and then after 2-3 years do another show.

Back