Supposing I'd want to replay Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Wooz, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    ...where could I find the mod that'd let me play it using BG2's engine?

2. Madbringer

Madbringer What is it that crawls behind the glass? Orderite

Apr 9, 2004
    Clicky!

This site should also satisfy any modding needs, it hosts many of it's own and has links to other modding communities.

3. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    BG1Tutu for playing BG1 in BG2's engine.
    Baldur's Gate Trilogy for playing all the games continuously in the same engine. This is somewhat better, but not really useful if you only want to play BG1.

I wouldn't recommend it, though. It gets insanely boring because, well, the game is so sickenly boring.

4. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all

Apr 3, 2003
    Dude, don't play Baldur's Gate.

You have your whole life ahead of you.

I know things might look bleak now, and that it looks like there's no way up. But there is always a way down; playing Baldur's Gate. Don't take that step, man, it's not worth it.

5. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    Listen to the man - he know what he's saying.

6. Madbringer

Madbringer What is it that crawls behind the glass? Orderite

Apr 9, 2004
    Don't listen to those playa hatas, Woozer. Realize your full potential!

7. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Wow, the computer magazine that I buy each month was really positive about Baldur's Gate when it came out but almost everywhere were the game is brought up most people dislike it.

May I ask what the problems are with it?

8. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all

Jul 5, 2003
    It's really, really, really boring and much too slow-paced. And the combat system is really terrible.

9. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    It's a hack 'n slash with boring combat. There's also some dialogue and kind of a plot, but it's not very good.

That's about an epic a failure as you can become.

It just fails at what it sets out to do. At best it is an ok big-world D&D emulator, which is how some people approach it. I don't see any other way in which the game could be ok'd.

I'd recommend Titan Quest over Baldur's Gate.

10. cody92

cody92 Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 29, 2007
    If baulders gate has a poor combat system, i wonder how arcanum's combat is, or planescape's. doubt either of them are better.

11. The Vault Dweller

The Vault Dweller always looking for water.

Aug 24, 2004
    Very ironic. For whatever reason at the time Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights came out I was too busy with othergames and never bought or played them. I've always wanted to though.

Recently I found a NN Diamond edition with it and all the expansions. I installed it, but I'm having hardware issues with a black screen at startup. Installed the newest patch and it still didn't work. Right now I'm updating my video card driver after seeing it as a fix on a forum.

Anything I should know before I venture into (looks at the cover) Forgotten Realms of Neverwinter Nights?

Sincerely,
    The Vault Dweller

12. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    Jesus fucking christ on a pogo-stick, man! Can you write Baldur's Gate? It's even there in the message you quoted! See? It's pretty easy...

Oh, yeah and Baldur's Gate suckz! LOL!

P.S. I'm sure Per won't approve of this thread.

13. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    They also both suck. But both Arcanum and PS:T have content, lots and lots of content. Arcanum's dungeon crawling mines still suck, but the rest of the game has enough body to make up for it.

Baldur's Gate? Like I said, it plays like a hack 'n slash, you're supposed to spend all your time running through forests and mines and ruins killing hobgoblins. In a shitty combat system.

14. Serge 13

Serge 13 Cranium Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    Arcanum sucks ?!
    Just out of curiosity : What Role Playing game do you prefer then ?!(other then Fallout 1 & 2)

15. cody92

cody92 Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 29, 2007
    I'm not sure weather your talking to me or Brother none, incase your talking to me, i dont hate arcanum but its combat isnt all that great, very good game though.

16. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    Nobody said Arcanum sucks, this thread is about Baldur's Gate.

17. Serge 13

Serge 13 Cranium Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    i was referring to BN's note which said "They(Arcanum & PS torment) both sucked".
    About Baldurs Gate .A friend of mine played all the baldurs gate games a few months ago (He was hooked to his pc for quite a long time)and was very pleased with them.I haven't played any of the Baldurs Gate games but i was kinda surprised to see how many people hate this game.
    And btw...are the Icewind Dale games also like Baldurs Gate ?!

18. Brother None

Apr 3, 2003
    Pay attention. The bolded parts here are referring to the same thing:
    cody92: If baulders gate has a poor combat system, i wonder how arcanum's combat is, or planescape's. doubt either of them are better.

Me: They also both suck.

2 is better than 1.

19. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    BG2 rules because of one thing: Viconia DeVir.

20. FeelTheRads

FeelTheRads Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 15, 2004
    Better if you ask me. At least they don't try to be what they're not.

Why the surprise? It's a Bioware game after all.