The Alien movies.

It's to bad that Alien 3 production was so messed up. I think Finchers style was a very nice fit for the movie, and while I like the film (and the special edition more), it never feels like it reaches its potential.
Also, one thing that draws down its scaryness is that we see the Alien so many times, and quite often we see it very clearly. The "less is more" approach would be fitting here.

That said, the first three Aliens have had scenes that scared me/creeped me out. I still remember my reaction when seeing them for the first time (which is odd as I usually don't remember stuff like that).

Alien had a few different things that scared me.
-The first facehugger attack on the alien ship scared me pretty bad (especially not knowing anything about how the Alien works when viewing it the first time).
-When they search for the facehugger and it shows up dead.
-The chestburster really grossed me out the first time I saw out, and the idea is still disturbing to me.
-When they knock Ash's head off, jeebus that effect still looks great today.
-The "final scare" when they Alien has followed Ripley after blowing up the ship

Aliens
-When the marines find the 'coocon' with the woman who get chestbursted, ugh. The following onslaught of the Aliens is great terror, really 'panicky'.
-Ripley and Newt alone, locked in with two facehuggers.

Alien 3
-When Ripley seeks out the Alien, and mistakes a few pipes/thingies for it. Then of course, it's lurking in the roof behind her.

It's kinda strange since quite few films scare me (I'm a fan of horror, so I watch a lot of films), but something about Alien gets to me. The whole lifecycle is perhaps what does it.

Alien and Aliens were pure awesome. No other way to tell it.
Alien 3 was 'it's good, but not anywhere near the other two'.
Aliens Resurrection is the epitome of stupid.

KQX said:
Anyway the plot was bad because there were way too many important scenes cut.

Yeah, well. Even the special edition fails to explain how that egg made its way in the Sulaco ( without anyone noticing it ) while the Alien queen left her genitals on LV-426 ! As well as in Resurrection, scientists cloning Aliens from Ripley's blood is just dumb...Aliens are parasits, they do not mix their DNA with their host's. :roll:

I'm an Alien elitist.

I am of the firm belief that anyone who thinks that "Aliens" is better than the obviously superior original is an idiot with no taste.

That being said, I liked all of them, though the last pair only begrudgingly.

Stag said:
I am of the firm belief that anyone who thinks that "Aliens" is better than the obviously superior original is an idiot with no taste.

1. Aliens - Hudson was, is, and will always be "the shit".
2. Alien - The dinner scene. Yum.
3. Alien 3 - I don't remember much of this movie, besides that I hated it and the SNES game that was spawned from it.
4. Resurrection - I watched this in the theater. My family and I all agreed that it was utter shit compared to the previous and greatest Alien film of all: Aliens.

I have Alien and Aliens on Laserdisc. We used to have a Betamax until I intentionally broke it. Fuck Sony.

Mikael Grizzly said:
Any real Marines would eat them for dinner. Smile

USCM > USMC

NOTHING beats a Smartgun. Or fusion powered nut crackers.

^,,^ I'd love to make an airsoft version of the smart gun. Maybe a working replica of the pulse rifle.

Aliens is probably my favourite of the films, closely followed by Alien. I'm just a sucker for futuristic military hardware, and Cameron was bob on there. Alien is a work of art though, the attention to detail is superb.

Alien3 wasn't a bad film per-se, the problem was that it effectively killed the franchise in terms of where the story could go. My biggest issue was the fact they killed off Hicks and Newt in the manner they did, to me it seemed utterly illogical that the ship (a warship) would eject the passengers just because there was a little fire. I didn't have a problem beyond that really, Ripley dying was well done - and her story should have ended there, as should the series.

In an ideal world I would have liked the DarkHorse alternate time line to kick in after Aliens, and Alien3 to have never existed (nor the abortion that was Resurrection).

Alien is the only one that is actually a good movie. Alien is genuinely good sci-fi, good horror, it's a good movie.

Aliens is fun and all, but it's stupid as hell.

Stag said:
Alien is the only one that is actually a good movie. Alien is genuinely good sci-fi, good horror, it's a good movie.

Aliens is fun and all, but it's stupid as hell.

Yes, alien was a far better movie.... but sometimes I just want to yell out "LETS ROCK" and shoot things.

Okay Duke Nukem, let's rock.
Seriously, I like Alien and Aliens.
Reasons, well Alien, being a true sci-fi don't know what's killing you. Scarier in that sense.
Aliens, being let's shoot everything and burn everything in a ten mile radious. Is good but more of an action movie.

Alien = classic & best
Aliens = most 'fun'
Alien 3 = darkest
Alien Ressurection = most modern action flick of the series

Is it the third one, just like in Jaws 4, where the protagonist has developed some sort of a psychic relation, and 'understanding' with the monster in question?
'Cause that shit is just lame.

Long time since I saw any of those movies, but the first one is still the best; the others is, just like all other sequels, a way to parasite on peoples wealth and earn money on a successful concept. Fucking cocksuckin' leechers.

Seriously, are there any movie-series where the sequel is better than the first movie?

Back