The Alien movies.

Stag said:
Newt's entire family was killed by the aliens. She then spends a long amount of time (I'm not sure how long, I believe it was something like four days) being hungry (making it more likely she would go outside or whatever for food) and being hunted by xenomorphs. She could not have survived. I understand that she is/was a necessary character, but she was an impossibility.

Newt wasn't in the nest. She was in a seperate building. The colonists, or whatever was left of them, were in the processing station. She survived by hiding in the ventilation system of the main colony complex, not the processing station. There was no mention of her being hunted in the movie, either, other than the fact that she was present during the xenomorph outbreak. So unless you're making that part up, you're theory that she couldn't survive is further made unreasonable. Survival is not an impossibility. Now, there is no mention of her scrounging for food either, since you only see the piles of trash in the chamber in which she is apprehended. Anyways, some people call her Newt, some call her Rebecca, others know her by the name Billie.

Sorry, not the android plot, but the Weyland-Yutani is evil/crew is expendable plot.

Once again, it's not really a repeat. The plot just continues to unfold in the sequel, which is characteristic of a sequel. Only this time, Burke is the scumbag corporate pawn. The idea wasn't "rehashed."

No, it's not mentioned that the aliens are hunting her, but I'm assuming that they would. I'm not quite sure how their senses work, though it's evident that they have some sort of super hearing, sight, smell, or other sense. It's also a trademark of the xenomorphs to take to vents, thus decreasing her survival chance.

It's a rehash, it's the same idea, just done with a different character. I understand that it's how the corporation views its employees, but it's the same idea.

Stag said:
No, it's not mentioned that the aliens are hunting her, but I'm assuming that they would. I'm not quite sure how their senses work, though it's evident that they have some sort of super hearing, sight, smell, or other sense. It's also a trademark of the xenomorphs to take to vents, thus decreasing her survival chance.

It's a rehash, it's the same idea, just done with a different character. I understand that it's how the corporation views its employees, but it's the same idea.

Well, like I said, she's in a different building which contains no xenomorph presence at all. Therefore, her chances of survival are not only very probable, but also very imaginable.

And like I said, it's just a continuation of the plot from the first movie, which is characteristic. I don't know how that makes it or helps to make it a bad sequel.

I'm inclined to believe that aliens would infest more than one building, or at least search though the other ones; I suppose that this is predicated upon an assumed belief, but the xenomorphs are extremely talented hunters and all this.

And no, it's not terrible, but it's unimaginative.

Stag said:
I'm inclined to believe that aliens would infest more than one building, or at least search though the other ones.

Actually, they probably did. It's just that they take their prey back to their main nest. It's not unreasonable to think that Newt's family would hide her away while making a lot of noise trying to fight the xenomorphs while Newt hides away and makes no noise or exposes herself. Then the xenomorphs take their freshly captured prey back to their nest, which was in a different building, and impregnate them and then rest up for a future hunt (unless by xenomorph reasoning, they believed the area to "be secure" in a manner of speaking). So now they have a good supply of impregnated colonists that'll do them for awhile, when by luck, the marines arrive just in time for them to save at least one survivor. I don't know how any of that is improbable since I've learned of or experienced much more improbable and real events and am still here today. And even if any of it is improbable, life doesn't revolve around probability like some cheap computer program. Chance and luck have just as much, if not a bigger part. I mean, Hell, what's the probability of the discovery of the alien signal Mother discovered in Alien? It's just that those things like Mother's discovery of the alien signal, Newt surviving all alone, etc... make for a story worth telling.

As for the plot. I don't see how it's unimaginative when it's a continuation of the story and not an Alien remake.

I find it unlikely that the xenomorphs wouldn't have found her. You believe in chance, and yeah, while she may have been lucky enough to have hidden away, I still find it unlikely.

It's a continuation of the story, which is why it ought to follow a different plot, though I get that W-Y is still evil doesn't care about its people.

Stag said:
I find it unlikely that the xenomorphs wouldn't have found her. You believe in chance, and yeah, while she may have been lucky enough to have hidden away, I still find it unlikely.

It's a continuation of the story, which is why it ought to follow a different plot, though I get that W-Y is still evil doesn't care about its people.

Reread "I mean, Hell, what's the probability of the discovery of the alien signal Mother discovered in Alien?" Things that are probable to not happen can do the opposite. It's redundant to say something is unbelievable just because it's chances of happening are unlikely. Unless you're some religious fanatic, or a chance hatemonger, I see no reason in how you don't believe in chance.

Anyways, the plot was very different. You'd have to be stupid, or not have seen the sequel to not know that. Weyland is still evil, but it's not about yet another chance arrival upon some alien signal, then going down onto planet, then taking back parasite attached to crewmember to ship, then egg hatches, then crew gets hunted, then evil android says "fuck yo life, nigga." then main character wins, then credits roll. Instead, it's about evil Weyland going at it again, then fucking up, then sending marines and advisor and corporate asshole to planet, then discovering lone survivor, then everything goes to Hell, then they fight the xenomorph scum, then corporate asshole gets revealed, then they try to flee, then corporate asshole dies, then android becomes good guy, then main character wins, then credits roll. The main elements of said story are there, only the plot is different.

Chance is a key factor in evolution and history. I don't see why the thought of chance playing a big part in anything is absurd, but I guess to each their own.

Well, I think that chance is a sort of event; chance does not often afford you an advantage.

What advantage did chance afford to the dead marines? To Bishop? To Burke? To the dead colonists? To Newt? Other than Newt surviving, she lost her entire family and is probably scarred for life. Not to mention, she still has plenty of xenomorph encounters to come her way.

Chance afforded Newt not only a momentary survival while her family was massacred, but discovery and rescue by Ripley and the Marines.

"While her family was massacred," should bring the burden of chance to perspective, but for you it doesn't. She survived, but she still has a lot of horrifying things to experience and no guarentees of survival. Off the top of my head I can name several seperate, real incidents in which chance plays a major improbable role, but you'd still come back and say "it's not realistic or probable." So, I'm wondering, are you just here to troll those who like the movie Aliens more than Alien?

Not at all. I love Aliens. I just find Alien to be far, far superior. I love Aliens as an action movie, I don't take it seriously. I think that it is a horrible idea to take a movie like that seriously and even hold it up higher than Alien, what I consider to be "great cinema". I don't mean to troll, I just chose to enter the discussion to explain myself. It is a big pet peeve of mine to hear people talk about Aliens being better than Alien; I looked at this thread and was horrified!

Well, I think of it as Alien is the best sci-fi horror (or perhaps, just horror in the broad category) movie I've seen, and Aliens is the best sci-fi action movie I've seen (or, at least, one of the best).

I actually liked Event Horizon much more than Alien on the sci fi horror side. I don't think I'm so damn important to say that it's better than Alien, just that I enjoyed it more. In any Sci-fi, if you have guns that look real but aren't just new weapons developed today, and all the characters go by a code and act as a unit based on chain of command and don't rehash actual military fiction, that's got to be a plus.

It's much harder to make a good action sci fi than a good horror sci fi, that's for sure. There are so many ways in which you could go wrong with action sci fi, but if you manage to get it right, like Cameron did in Aliens, it's :clap: for you.

Smoke said:
It's much harder to make a good action sci fi than a good horror sci fi, that's for sure.

Depends on what you mean by "action movie" and "horror movie". I think it's generally pretty hard to make a good horror movie, one that doesn't rely on unexpected camera movements and sudden, loud sounds to build up suspense and anxiety. Needless to say, I think Alien is a masterpiece, Aliens was all right; as Paladin Homo said, it's a sci-fi action movie.

As for an action movie to be harder to make than a horror movie, I strongly doubt it. Terminator 2 might have been harder to make than Bride of the Monster, to take one extreme, but it seems it's pretty much the exception. Another extreme: compare Hitchcock's The Birds and Universal Soldier.

I don't think it's something that has to do with "movie genres", it depends on what -and, above all, how- the film has to say. Another thing is what I call the film's purpose, but that's another, longer story.

And now for something completely different, Sean Connery in Zardoz:

zardoz13zh2.jpg

Stag said:
I'm inclined to believe that aliens would infest more than one building, or at least search though the other ones; I suppose that this is predicated upon an assumed belief, but the xenomorphs are extremely talented hunters and all this.

Xenos are no more intelligent than a dog (and I don't care how much the silly novels wank them out). They're also a hive species, so yes they would all concentrate in one spot around their Queen.
They probably chose the atmosphere processor because of the humidity. Once they assumed they had taken all the humans, there's no reason to go back.

They're stupid in an evolutionary sense anyway, since they have a habit of eating their only means of reproduction and run out of it fast anyway.

Edit: And that Zardoz picture is vulgar and exploitative!

I Liked Zardoz; that movie was trippy!

The Alien movies are all good;
Alien is classic horror; you don't see the Alien for a long time and this makes it more scary than it actually is (which is saying a lot for something H.R. Geiger designed!). The whole film is just "tight". It works. It is what "Even Horizon" was trying to be.
Aliens is a great Sci-Fi Action movie with strong horror elements; but it isn't a proper Horror movie. It is the very zenith of Sci-Fi Action, though.
Aliens 3 is something completely different, just doesn't fit well with the other films. I don't care for the treatment it got or the plot overall, especially killing everyone off. This forces the, well, forced, cloning solution in the 4th film.
Resurrection was still a strong film IMHO. It just isn't Alien or Aliens, but it knows what it wants to be much more so than 3, and is a more enjoyable film with great direction and fun characters; Ellen Ripley has finally become comfortable with what she is; the Aliens are still badass, They are not so much cannon fodder as in Aliens; the film strikes a good balance between Alien's pure horror and Aleins' mostly action. And of course the characters are great; again, Ron Pearlman FTW. A good film, I think it just suffers the same way a Cadillac would when compared to an Aston Martin or Rolls Royce because it follows Alien and Aliens.

I did not see AvP; the idea just seems lame; and without the characters, what fun is it, because that is really what an Aliens movie is about, the characters! From what I saw AvP had a very generic cast of characters. Not really part of the series as far as I'm concerned, and I won't have anything to do with it.

I've just finished rewatching the director's cut edition of the first alien.

Apparently, this version is shorter than the theatrical one, but it adds a lot of stuffs as well...

Does anyone know what has been removed from the director's cut version to keep it that short?

Back