The Alien movies.

AvP was actually kinda 'kool, I liked the concept of the Predators building sweet ass pyramids to still their hunger for hunting, filling 'lil humans with alien eggs.

Alien 8 passenger is the best one and the only one considered as a masterpiece. Was surprising, scaring, visually stunning...

I think I like Alien and Aliens about the same, but in a different kind of way... And I don't think 3 and 4 are bad either. Not as good as the first two, but I find them watchable nonetheless.

Zaron said:
Seriously, are there any movie-series where the sequel is better than the first movie?
Nope, same with every sequel.

Terminator: Chilling, inhuman sci-fi.
Terminator 2: Idiotic, if enjoyable, action film.
Terminator 3: Idiotic, unenjoyable action film.

First Blood(Rambo): Mentally unstable veteran against 'The Man'
Rambo 2 & 3: Jingoistic bloodbaths.
John Rambo: More of the same, from what I can tell.

Die Hard: (Fairly) intelligent action movie.
Die Hard 2/3: Mindless Pap.

Mad Max may be the exception to this rule, in that 2 is better than 1, but 3 is fully compliant with the rule.

Note: Going for mainstream films here, bigger targets. ;)

Of course, none of these can compare with the monstrosity that was Schindler's List II: Checking it Twice.

I like Aliens (Special Edition even better), then Alien. I didn't like Alien 3 that much and I really hated Alien Resurrection (yak). AvP was an ok action film but I did not like it as part of the saga.

Basically Alien and Aliens are the only two movies I really liked and enjoyed. The other movies I just prefer to ignore them.

Aliens was t3h suck. Aliens was not a good movie. It was a good action movie.

Aliens was excellent science fiction, it was actually a good movie.

Aliens was for people who couldn't be bothered with "suspense".

Alien was a really great movie. I saw it when I was a child and I was really impressed. It's a masterpiece of sci-fi horror.

Aliens is a really good sequel, good story, great effects (no stupid FX yet), and nice action. I really liked it.

Alien 3... I've always had some problems with this movie. Killing everyone except Ripley at the beginning of the movie is an insult to Aliens' end. And I didn't really enjoy the cheap effetcs neither did I like the end.

But... the special edition is really better. More character development, etc. I really like this special edition, it adds something that the theatrical move lacks of.

About Alien resurrection... The realisator is great, I have nothing to say about that. The picture is great, nice colors, etc. But damn the scenario sucks. This clone story is way too comics like. And this non human half-guy Ripley is dispisable as hell. And well. I really hate those CG aliens. It looks so unrealistic! Aliens had such a realistic feel, and they didn't need stupid computer effets. Even for the fight with the queen.

AvP... well, this stupid Paul Anderson destroyed Resident Evil as well, so insulting the Alien and Predator saga wasn't really hard for him.

I don't want any more alien movies. Alien 4 was already a mistake. I wish they could have stopped at the 3rd one.

edit: I took a look at william gibson's alien 3 script, and it doens't look that wonderful. Humans mutating into Aliens, Riply getting rid of at the beginning of the movie...

Stag said:
Aliens was t3h suck. Aliens was not a good movie. It was a good action movie.

Aliens was excellent science fiction, it was actually a good movie.

Aliens was for people who couldn't be bothered with "suspense".

Dude, for 1986 it was a great movie. It had a lot of suspense, we watched different movies. The Alien creatures come in really late in the movie, about the same time they do in the first movie. The search for survivors and that oh so great motion tracker added to building suspense, when the inevitable encounter with the Aliens
first comes into play and the marines are desperate and without any command or ammunition.

That's got to do it for you.

In Alien, you don't see the fully formed xenomorph until about the fifty minute mark or even later. Really, you could say that the movie wasn't about an alien so much as it was about Ellen Ripley's life in space, and the issues that arise between people when in close quarters for months at a time (years?), and how they react when they are in a constant state of fear.

Aliens was about jarheads and monsters. (No offense to jarheads or monsters.) In Aliens the xenomorph is introduced in ten or twenty minutes. Very early.

Aliens is fun, but it is not a real movie. It doesn't have any sort of character (or character development) or plot or anything. It is nothing compared to Alien.

You might as well compare Armageddon with Solaris. Yeah, both are about space, but which do you think is the better movie?

Stag said:
In Aliens the xenomorph is introduced in ten or twenty minutes. Very early.

We see the fully formed Xenomorph in Alien at around 1:07:00. In Aliens it's actually at 1:13:00.

Aliens is fun, but it is not a real movie. It doesn't have any sort of character (or character development) or plot or anything. It is nothing compared to Alien.

Um, Aliens most certainly did have a plot and character development. The Marines and other characters were not just kill dummies, they actually had very different personalities and presented interesting and unique characters. You could make the argument that Alien3 had very low character development (especially in the theatrical release), since most of the prisoners were all fairly similar looking bald men who mostly just played Alien pray as opposed to being real characters. You really can't argue the same for Aliens.

Are you sure you've even seen Aliens?

In Aliens at 1:13? Bullshit...Well, whatever. I now recall that there was a long bit of Sigourney Weaver having flashbacks, and I do believe that she had one about an alien?

I've seen Aliens multiple, multiple times. In Aliens we had the dude who said "Game over man! Game over!" Who sucked, we had the boring archetypical captain, and the boring archetypical bitch Michelle Rodriguez-type "tough chick". There were no real characters, or at least none that were interesting.

I don't mean to insult Aliens so much, it really wasn't bad, but it was an action movie. That's it. It was a good action movie, but it was not near the greatness of Alien.

Stag said:
In Aliens at 1:13? Bullshit...Well, whatever. I now recall that there was a long bit of Sigourney Weaver having flashbacks, and I do believe that she had one about an alien?

No. She only dreams that a chestburster is about to emerge from her stomach, but that's all, we see nothing.

Damn. Aliens was a lot longer than I remember it...I mean, it must be close to 3 hours, right?

Wikipedia says 154 mins, which is 2:34. Alright. Well, that first hour passed out of my memory because it was boring as all hell.

I actually never saw the original version, when I bought the VHS a really long time ago it was already the director's cut version.

I never really knew what they added though, and I feel quite lazy to watch the original version if some interesting scenes aren't present...

Wikipedia:

A Special Edition was released in 1992 on laserdisc and VHS that restored 17 minutes of previously deleted footage; the most notable addition was a segment early in the film showing the colony on LV-426 just as the colonists first encounter the derelict alien spacecraft which is infested with the alien eggs. Other notable scenes included the "sentry gun scene" in the operations building, Ripley's discovery of her daughter's fate while she was away, and a few other dialogue scenes between Ripley and the Marines. One of these exchanges provides Ripley's full name (Ellen Ripley). This version was then released on The Alien Legacy in 1999 on DVD. Both versions of the film were released together for the first time in the 2003 Alien Quadrilogy DVD box set and then later on the Special Collector's Edition DVD.

Stag said:
I've seen Aliens multiple, multiple times. In Aliens we had the dude who said "Game over man! Game over!" Who sucked, we had the boring archetypical captain, and the boring archetypical bitch Michelle Rodriguez-type "tough chick". There were no real characters, or at least none that were interesting.

Tough chick is Archetypal? Been my experience that bullet spraying line spewing brainless "tough guy" was male, not female, and as I remember, she wasn't quite brainless and one sided. While aggressive and hard charging she still had some of her feminine qualities here and there. Will I say she is a very twisted archetype of the tough guy. Fun to watch and quote? Hell yes.

I could go on for every character in the movie, but I'll just leave it with this. The marines were based the the archetype of the Vietnam grunts. I don't know any vets that ever acted like that but that is what I think of when I think of a vietnam soldier. Real grunts aren't all that fun, but the preception of the vietnam grunt as a rag tag devil dog misfit force of badasses is fun. While this one was more, "lets kick some ass" than alien, it still has good characters and a decent story. Its just different from alien.

Back