The Courier: Amnesia or what?

Nalano said:
Also, it would make gasoline (or ethanol) almost as important as water.
Most cars in Fallout were electrically powered, though.
The microfusion cell is obviously capable of delivering insane amounts of power (enough to power laser and plasma weapons), so an electrical bike powered by those should be feasible.
And even if those are not available, building one out of scrap parts (maybe use the motor from a washing machine. Should be reparable)
might be an option.
Buuuuut Fallout lore doesn't like vehicles, so yeah, Couriers will walk on foot.

I covered how easy it would be to make combustible fuel for old combustion engines in another thread.

Diesel fuel can be synthesized from a variety of readily available sources in the fallout world, and diesel engines do not require electricity.

On the other hand, with the number of readily available electrical sources, it's a wonder why there aren't more electrically powered vehicles. I took one look at Hoover Dam and wondered why there wasn't a couple Highwaymen plugged in.

Horses exist in the Fallout world (as shown in the comic "All Roads"), so it's another curiousity why they aren't used for another Pony Express.

DevilTakeMe said:
Horses exist in the Fallout world (as shown in the comic "All Roads"), so it's another curiousity why they aren't used for another Pony Express.

Horses don't respond well to errant bullets.

And Fallout's not altogether hostile to the concept of wheeled vehicles - Fallouts 1 and 2 had the rear axles of cars pulled by brahmin, and Fallout 2 had the Chosen One able to resurrect a highwayman for California driving - even park it with a valet!

That said, god knows how well these landboats could take the roads.

Horses don't respond well to errant bullets.

Neither do brahmin... or horse-riders, but the point is still there. As a means of travel, horses worked for thousands of years before the invention of the automobile.

And Fallout's not altogether hostile to the concept of wheeled vehicles - Fallouts 1 and 2 had the rear axles of cars pulled by brahmin, and Fallout 2 had the Chosen One able to resurrect a highwayman for California driving - even park it with a valet!

And then the Highwayman able to be stolen, taken to a chop shop, then souped up to be even -better-!

DevilTakeMe said:
All Roads isn't exactly a trustworthy source, given its number of continuity errors.
There probably are horses somewhere, but it is not likely that they exist in the former US anymore.

And as mentioned over and over, most cars in Fallout are/were probably electrically powered anyway, which shouldn't be too much of a problem. Thing is that not a lot survived the Great War.
The few remaining vehicles were acquired by the big warring factions (mostly the NCR, though), so I guess there were not a lot left for civilians.

And the concept of brahmin-pulled slow caravans is essential for Fallout, which is probably the biggest reason for the absence of craploads of post apocalyptic muscle cars.

Hassknecht said:
And the concept of brahmin-pulled slow caravans is essential for Fallout, which is probably the biggest reason for the absence of craploads of post apocalyptic muscle cars.

I don't need a crapload of 'em! I just need MINE!

In all seriousness, tho; I'll bet it's easier to figure out how to resurrect one of those hulks that love to go boom when you shoot them than find sufficiently non-mutated horses, tame them, feed them, train them and defend them from random assholes with SMGs.

In fact, that's kinda the thing, isn't it? As means of travel, horses worked fine for thousands of years, but who knows their usefulness when co-existing with accurate automatic firearms and scorpions the size of your average Dodge Neon.

Why would they need to be unmutated Horses? wouldn't a mutant hrose be better? Imagine the changes they would have experimented to survive in the Fallout Wasteland.

Hassknecht said:
All Roads isn't exactly a trustworthy source, given its number of continuity errors.

Number of? That said, the problem with All Roads seems to be this version of the events in Bitter Springs are very different, including the presence of horses.

Nalano said:
Hassknecht said:

I don't need a crapload of 'em! I just need MINE!

In all seriousness, tho; I'll bet it's easier to figure out how to resurrect one of those hulks that love to go boom when you shoot them than find sufficiently non-mutated horses, tame them, feed them, train them and defend them from random assholes with SMGs.

In fact, that's kinda the thing, isn't it? As means of travel, horses worked fine for thousands of years, but who knows their usefulness when co-existing with accurate automatic firearms and scorpions the size of your average Dodge Neon.

If you accept as true (if only partially) the rantings of a crazy Nightkin (Tabitha, specifically) telling you about Two-headed bear people (NCR) astride "battle cattle," I couldn't see anything else other than brahmin or horses, mooing horses or not.

Bighorners, we're told, just lay down and do nothing if you try to put a pack on them.

I do agree, however, restoring an old car would be more economical and efficient than training and maintaining a horse. As the Highwayman confirms, there are mechanics in the Wasteland, so I don't see why there couldn't be more vehicles somewhere.

Walpknut said:
Why would they need to be unmutated Horses? wouldn't a mutant hrose be better? Imagine the changes they would have experimented to survive in the Fallout Wasteland.

It would seem that the most common side-effect of exposure to radiation in this game universe is gigantism. The last thing we probably need are huge twenty-foot tall two-headed Horses of the Post-Apocalyse.

Nalano said:
Walpknut said:

It would seem that the most common side-effect of exposure to radiation in this game universe is gigantism. The last thing we probably need are huge twenty-foot tall two-headed Horses of the Post-Apocalyse.

That are then affected by modified FEV and breath fire!

What better mount for a COurier than a giant horse covered in scales that breaths fire and could defend itself? Who needs cars with that?

And with wings while we're at it... Suddenly the Courier is riding atop a dragon and fighting off hordes of Legion/NCR!

And imagine, with horses, they could have armor for the horses as a DLC!
Ok, that stuff would work with other vehicles, too.

Old Man Vee said:
And with wings while we're at it... Suddenly the Courier is riding atop a dragon and fighting off hordes of Legion/NCR!

A winged, multi-headed dragon-horse fighting other atomic monsters?

... Where have I seen that before?

Godzilla-vs-ghidorah.jpg

Only with ARMOR?!

Fallout Tokyo, the EIFU revivies Godzilla with nuclear power to detroy the Nipon wasteland! So now you the ehmmmmmm how ever you say wanderer in japanese, has to stop them by raising his own three headed dragon horse to fight Godzilla off, and the twist is that you have to destroy your horse too and die with it.

Fallout Japan would be Fist of the North Star.
Where every melee character has Bloody Mess.

Back