The Covenant: Definitive Dialogue Wheel Failure

I'm very confident that this is the true definitive dialogue failure. Takes a mod to show how bad it is. And to further insult your intelligence, a lot of quests will allow you to ask "Remind me what we were doing again?" despite it being in your quest notes, and talked about not five minutes ago.

This isn't even a dialogue wheel. That's what Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol had. Four options do not make it that. It's basically a dialogue cross, if you can even call it that. It's ridiculous.

Here's the transcript - context is accepting a quest to help settlers at a farm, I assume it was a Minutemen Garvey thing... again. This is what it looks like with the mod:

1) Yes, I'm here to help, what's the problem?
2) Yes, I'm here to help, what's going on?
3) I'm not the tooth fairy. Just tell me what you need so I can get out of here.
4) Of course. Just tell me what you need help with.

What do you think?
You're saying the same thing... four fucking times...

I'm very confident that this is the true definitive dialogue failure. Takes a mod to show how bad it is. And to further insult your intelligence, a lot of quests will allow you to ask "Remind me what we were doing again?" despite it being in your quest notes, and talked about not five minutes ago.

This isn't even a dialogue wheel. That's what Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol had. Four options do not make it that. It's basically a dialogue cross, if you can even call it that. It's ridiculous.

Here's the transcript - context is accepting a quest to help settlers at a farm, I assume it was a Minutemen Garvey thing... again. This is what it looks like with the mod:

3) I'm not the tooth fairy. Just tell me what you need so I can get out of here.

What do you think?

I know this is irrelevant as it's probably hard-coded but surely something like this would be better fitting...

1) Yes, I'm here to help... Tell me, what's the problem?
2) Sorry I haven't got time for this [End conversation, LOW RNG to resolve and massive Happiness loss]
3) I'm sorry, whatever it is you'll have to figure it out yourself... [RNG to resolve + Negative Happiness]

and on a similar note I'd like an option when summoned to undertake yet another dungeon crawl minute-men quest:

N) I'll send some of my best guys to help you out [RNG to resolve] <<< I'm the 'General' of the group... Why am I doing all the damn work?

Last edited:

What do you think?

I know this is irrelevant as it's probably hard-coded but surely something like this would be better fitting...

2) Sorry I haven't got time for this [End conversation, LOW RNG to resolve and massive Happiness loss]
3) I'm sorry, whatever it is you'll have to figure it out yourself... [RNG to resolve + Negative Happiness]

and on a similar note I'd like an option when summoned to undertake yet another dungeon crawl minute-men quest:

N) I'll send some of my best guys to help you out [RNG to resolve] <<< I'm the 'General' of the group... Why am I doing all the damn work?

That is too much reading for the target audience. The dialogue wheel was introduced because the target audience doesn't read.

What do you think?

That is too much reading for the target audience. The dialogue wheel was introduced because the target audience doesn't read.

Let's limit future games to yes and no choices, then a yes choice...

What do you think?

Let's limit future games to yes and no choices, then a yes choice...
More like "Nuh-huh", "Nungh", "huh?" and "Nun-huh, un-nuh?". Even that might be too many choices and too much hard work for Bethesda.

It's not as bad as Morrowind. Sure, there was a lot of dialogue, but it was all so poorly written. I'd rather have a little bit of bad dialogue than a metric butt-ton of the stuff.

It's not as bad as Morrowind. Sure, there was a lot of dialogue, but it was all so poorly written. I'd rather have a little bit of bad dialogue than a metric butt-ton of the stuff.
The dialogue in Morrowind really wasn't that bad, just a bit boring, specifically most of the generic dialogue read like an encyclopedia, most of the other dialogue was fine though. Actually now that I think of it a dialogue overhaul for MW that made the dialogue less encyclopedic would be nice.

Are you suggesting that the dialogue in Fallout 4 is better than the dialogue in Morrowind? I suppose there are some reasons why it is but I personally do not see it that way. I liked the encyclopedic nature of the Morrowind system - you could read for hours on various topics, or ignore it if you wanted to. Now they just seem to want you to ignore it entirely and go shoot things.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that the dialogue in Fallout 4 is better than the dialogue in Morrowind? I suppose there are some reasons why it is but I personally do not see it that way. I liked the encyclopedic nature of the Morrowind system - you could read for hours on various topics, or ignore it if you wanted to. Now they just seem to want you to ignore it entirely and go shoot things.
The dialogue in Morrowind was good... If it was written as an encyclopedia. I'm sorry, but it's not how people talk. F4 at least has dialogue that sounds like dialogue. Morrowind sounds like Wikipedia.

The dialogue in Morrowind was good... If it was written as an encyclopedia. I'm sorry, but it's not how people talk. F4 at least has dialogue that sounds like dialogue. Morrowind sounds like Wikipedia.

Morrowind's system of dialogue was shit, but the actual writing was fine, if repetitive.

Brilliant! 'AAA' Dialogue! Is the "Science" even a science check this time?

More like "Nuh-huh", "Nungh", "huh?" and "Nun-huh, un-nuh?". Even that might be too many choices and too much hard work for Bethesda.

That could have had that for 1 Int characters, but that was even too much work.

The science is not in fact a science check. It just makes you say something science-y.

Someone quoted Pete Hines as saying the dialogue was an improvement because he wanted to walk away from the dialogue so much playing previous Fallout games and now he can! So if you have those kinds of people making RPGs this is what you get.

The science is not in fact a science check. It just makes you say something science-y.

Someone quoted Pete Hines as saying the dialogue was an improvement because he wanted to walk away from the dialogue so much playing previous Fallout games and now he can! So if you have those kinds of people making RPGs this is what you get.

Yep, it's sad how these people make RPGs, while hating them for what they are.

Does having 1 Intelligence do anything or is it only a perk gate and you're as smart as a character with 10 intelligence?

Does having 1 Intelligence do anything or is it only a perk gate and you're as smart as a character with 10 intelligence?

Mostly just a perk gate, I know there is at least one mission with INT checks that allow you to repair some things where otherwise you would have to go fetch a part

The real crime to me is how the best stat for dialogue is Endurance. Stay with me here:

At 4 Endurance, you can take the Chem Resistant perk (the best perk in the EN path because of how OP Psychobuff is).
Chem Resistant lets you take drugs and chug Beer with impunity.
Grape Mentats + Beer + Tuxedo + Fancy Glasses = 9 extra Charisma. All these items are easy to find or make.
10 Charisma is enough to ace every speech challenge.

So, leave Charisma at 1 and have at least 4 Endurance if you want to play as a diplomat. Fucking brilliant.

Last edited:
Back