The Covenant: Definitive Dialogue Wheel Failure

Brilliant! 'AAA' Dialogue! Is the "Science" even a science check this time?

More like "Nuh-huh", "Nungh", "huh?" and "Nun-huh, un-nuh?". Even that might be too many choices and too much hard work for Bethesda.

That could have had that for 1 Int characters, but that was even too much work.
Does having 1 Intelligence do anything or is it only a perk gate and you're as smart as a character with 10 intelligence?

Perk gate.. Only other thing is I'd say you level up faster with 1 int and idiot savant than 10 int ..

Brilliant! 'AAA' Dialogue! Is the "Science" even a science check this time?

More like "Nuh-huh", "Nungh", "huh?" and "Nun-huh, un-nuh?". Even that might be too many choices and too much hard work for Bethesda.

That could have had that for 1 Int characters, but that was even too much work.
Does having 1 Intelligence do anything or is it only a perk gate and you're as smart as a character with 10 intelligence?

Perk gate.. Only other thing is I'd say you level up faster with 1 int and idiot savant than 10 int ..

The problem with that is you'll have to do without Gun Nut which is vital if you want to do more damage with weapons by upgrading them.

The problem with that is you'll have to do without Gun Nut which is vital if you want to do more damage with weapons by upgrading them.
Not entirely true. I have a fully upgraded 10mm Pistol now on a character who doesn't have Gun Nut, just by removing mods on pistols that I find and attaching them to mine (you don't need Gun Nut to attach mods, only create them). The best mods are quite rare though, and in any case you do need Gun Nut (and Science!!!!) for other things than mods, so it's a very nice perk to have unless you're going full melee.

Not entirely true. I have a fully upgraded 10mm Pistol now on a character who doesn't have Gun Nut, just by removing mods on pistols that I find and attaching them to mine (you don't need Gun Nut to attach mods, only create them). The best mods are quite rare though, and in any case you do need Gun Nut (and Science!!!!) for other things than mods, so it's a very nice perk to have unless you're going full melee.
I didn't know you could disassemble mods without that perk, still you'd take longer trying to find the good mods then just building them right then and there. XP is stupidly easy to come by and sometimes I would go up to 2-3 levels without bothering to upgrade perks(since level locking and all that), in other words most perks are useless. I think it's stupid how those wanna be skill perks like the sneak one makes you wait levels to upgrade it when in the older games or New Vegas you didn't need to wait for a level lock to lift in order to put points into a skill.

I found one with these options (context is a lost BOS patrol who turned out to be all dead, and you're finished giving the Captain a final report):

1) How will the Brotherhood remember them?
2) That's all.
3) That's everything.
4) That's it.

I found one with these options (context is a lost BOS patrol who turned out to be all dead, and you're finished giving the Captain a final report):

2) That's all.
3) That's everything.
4) That's it.

Wow... If that is not the epitome of laziness I don't know what is.

2) That's all.
3) That's everything.
4) That's it.
Oh, wow... that's bad.

Anyways, can you play a low INT character in this game like in Fallout 1 & 2? I know you couldn't in 3.

You can play with 1 int, but it has little to no effect other than locking the "Intelligence" perks.

What...what is the point?

Seriously, what is the point of asking two voice actors to voice thousands of lines of dialogue if every sentence is just another way of saying "YES"?

Giving the protagonist a voice was a nonsensical decision from the start, but with THIS dialogue system? The only words I can think of to describe it are: really fucking stupid and abomination.

I wonder if we can check if any of these lines are actually repeated, where the voice actors only voiced generic phrases like "That's all" and "That's everything" then Bethesda just used those lines over and over in other dialogues. My brain just cannot accept the idea that these voice actors may have been asked to say "YES" over and over again.

What...what is the point?

Seriously, what is the point of asking two voice actors to voice thousands of lines of dialogue if every sentence is just another way of saying "YES"?

Giving the protagonist a voice was a nonsensical decision from the start, but with THIS dialogue system? The only words I can think of to describe it are: really fucking stupid and abomination.

I wonder if we can check if any of these lines are actually repeated, where the voice actors only voiced generic phrases like "That's all" and "That's everything" then Bethesda just used those lines over and over in other dialogues. My brain just cannot accept the idea that these voice actors may have been asked to say "YES" over and over again.
The mod that shows what you're going to say shows that he is often saying the same sentence with one or two words changed and it leads to the same outcome.

2) That's all.
3) That's everything.
4) That's it.
Oh, wow... that's bad.

Anyways, can you play a low INT character in this game like in Fallout 1 & 2? I know you couldn't in 3.
Lol no. What you think this is? An RPG?

This is an MMORPG - you grind all day.

2) That's all.
3) That's everything.
4) That's it.
Oh, wow... that's bad.

Lol no. What you think this is? An RPG?

This is an MMORPG - you grind all day.

If you play Fallout 4 for 2 in-game years you will probably have killed on average several thousand raiders, mutants and beasts!

2) That's all.
3) That's everything.
4) That's it.
Oh, wow... that's bad.

If you could not play as a stupid character in Fallout 3, I think it was clear Bethesda will never bother to put the time and effort to bring something like this back.

2) That's all.
3) That's everything.
4) That's it.
Oh, wow... that's bad.

If you could not play as a stupid character in Fallout 3, I think it was clear Bethesda will never bother to put the time and effort to bring something like this back.

Especially as their audience doesn't want to be seen as dumb.

I thought the stupid character is the standard character now?

Considering he or she's given the option to ask, almost every single time, "what were we doing again"; cannot make any Intelligence checks in dialogue and can never comprehend science talk (even when me, the player themself, understands it); is given the opportunity to ask the same things again and again, and is always at a disadvantage in knowledge and what's going on in the world around him/her, I am VERY, VERY confident that is the case.

You could play an Intelligence 10 character and most of the dialogue still portrays you as someone who has no knowledge of who's who and what's what. So yeah. Plus, you cannot make your character sound smart in this game no matter what you do.

You can play with 1 int, but it has little to no effect other than locking the "Intelligence" perks.
That's disappointing given that Obsidian was able to do it in New Vegas. Considering how many lines are repeated in this game, one would think they could just swap them out and have the voice actor go "Uhh...." a few times.

That's disappointing given that Obsidian was able to do it in New Vegas. Considering how many lines are repeated in this game, one would think they could just swap them out and have the voice actor go "Uhh...." a few times.

Whenever you approach a character to speak with, or skip lines, your character will say stuff. When they're drunk or high, they'll say it differently. That's the closest you would get to a low Int dialogue. Don't get why they'd spend the effort making so much side dialogue and put none at all into the actual main dialogue.

And the "uhh" thing? Don't worry, your character does a lot of that by default. No need for low Int dialogue when default dialogue sounds like low Int dialogue.

To be absolutely fair, while stupid characters were funny, I always thought it was overdone. 4 int and you're a normal person, 3 and you're a caveman who cannot articulate a sentence? New Vegas made it kinda better because you just said some really stupid things sometimes.

FO4 also has your character greet people with ''Heeeyy'' if you're drunk, albeit that never lasts past the greeting.

But ya, SPECIAL stats not affecting dialog at all save for CHA is really bad. I had INT checks in one quest, the USS Constitution. Nothing outside of that, at all. Even Perks seem to absolutely never come up in conversations.

Back