The dumbest article ever made?

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Stanislao Moulinsky, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/editorial-wii-u-first-person-shooters/

Analog triggers used for binary actions matters a lot in FPSes, their importance can't be understated. :ugly:

2. Threepwood

Threepwood Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 4, 2010
    What's the problem?

3. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    It's making an argument that the only reason console FPS games work is because they have controllers with triggers on them.

Which is kind of like saying that cars are the only vehicles around because they have pedals.

4. SnapSlav

SnapSlav NMA's local DotA fanatic

Jul 1, 2012
    I chuckled at the start of that highlighted section describing the analog sticks' functions as "meager", only to go on to saying their use "cannot be understated". I think they JUST did that... and then said they shouldn't. XD

Until FPS "evolve" to a state where the physics of the genre DOESN'T assume that the arms and head of the human body are unable to act independently, and adjustments with mouse and/or analog DON'T combine "watch" and "aim" into a single input, then we'll continue to see FPS working like they are. Their PC versions will utilize mouses, and their console versions will make use of analog sticks. Right now, it's not really in any relationship of superiority; both work depending on your preference, and I know I personally prefer the analog stick. Besides, the idea I suggested at the start of this paragraph isn't something I think would be a GOOD idea. It would be more realistic, of course, but it would also turn aiming into a rail shooter, and we all know how GREAT those games are to play...

5. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    One thing doesn't contradict the other. Analog sticks are crap compared to keyb/mouse for first person games but can you imagine how bad it would be if pads didn't have them?

He's saying that the Wii U won't be a good console for FPSes because it doesn't have analog triggers and apparently analog triggers are a big deal for console FPSes. Except they don't.

In particular:

Level of precision for what? Triggers on gun have only on/off states.

Which have only digital buttons.

No explanation is given for such a bold matter-of-fact statement, I guess the reasons are so obvious he doesn't need to elaborate.

Which, on the PS3, don't use the Analog Triggers.

6. CthuluIsSpy

CthuluIsSpy A Smooth-Skin

Dec 20, 2011
    This is evidence that shows that "game journalists" don't know shit about gaming.

Edit: Forgot a word, herpty derp derp.

7. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    Oh dear, what a brain fart. I guess he confused FPS games with racing games, where analog triggers simulate pedals.

8. Threepwood

Threepwood Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Nov 4, 2010
    Yeah, thats what had me confused, regardless of how much pressure you put on the left trigger on the xbox controller (assuming it's enough to press it down to any degree) the gun sight will fully raise to the eye. Same applies for shooting.

Although I do think triggers are very ergonomic and also simulate gun triggers, I quite like them, and despite what everyone says I think a controller can be as effective as Mouse/keyboard, if you're familiar enough with it.

The Wii U would probably be more suited for fps games with triggers, although buttons arent much different.

9. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Oh, no confusion there. He esplicitely mentions them.

10. mobucks

mobucks As a goof Orderite

May 22, 2010
    His entire argument is how these controllers serve the function of THE LEFT AND RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON. :eyebrow:

11. Stanislao Moulinsky

Jul 16, 2009
    Oh, no. His entire argument is how the buttons on those controllers that serve the function of the left and right mouse button are analog. Because that's very important for FPSs.

12. Kyuu

Kyuu Insert Awesome Title Here

Jul 19, 2007
    Um, dual analog sticks? Yes, those are crucial to FPS playability on consoles -- though they are still inferior to mouse and keyboard. Those have existed since the Gamecube controller though.

Analog triggers? Wha?

13. CthuluIsSpy

Dec 20, 2011
  14. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    if you want a list of games that are defining for some reason or other, it would be similar to times list i think.

they did not go full on console-tard derpitude. but they did quite a bit. almost like they took a real list of top 100, and then tried to merge in with top console titles of today.

but keep in mind, that time list is better than what we get "pc gamer" wise than most lists similar. and times list is not ranked, just sorted by decade released.

15. CthuluIsSpy

Dec 20, 2011
    That is true. At least it is not ranked (like the IGN list, which is also a bit crap). But still, where's XCOM, Fallout, System Shock...you get the point.