The first Season of the Fallout tv show is out

So this is just Fallout 3 again? A game that savagely butchered the lore and internal consistency of the series mixed with shitty writing, and yet everyone outside of hardcore fans of the original games is loving it and praising it to the high heavens?

Some stuff just never changes unfortunately.

Has someone made a list of all the specific retcons/lore breaks by Fallout 3? I mean besides the more obvious "creative" (bad) world building like Little Lamplight or Megaton somehow being sustainable for 200 years.

Asking in case I might have missed some stuff, having been introduced to Fallout by 3, unfortunately I was a baby in the late 90s so I had to play the games backwards.

The talking point I’ve seen is that the location of the NCR (Shady Sands) was changed to be slightly east of where it was in the first game, so that justifies every retcon in the show.

Also Super Mutants were retconned to be immortal in Fallout 2 whereas ZAX in Fallout 1 says that their life span should only increase by 10%. Doubt you’ll ever see any Bethesda fans bring this up, though.

Did ZAX say this? I've been playing over and over since 2009 (not because of 3) and I don't think I've seen that. Guess there's always something more to learn.

saying Fallout 2 had retcons too(is it true though?)
I mean, Vaults weren't intended to have experiments in them as part of the worldbuilding in the original game so it's a "retcon" in some sense but it was also the perfect time to start claiming something like that because they hadn't been fleshed out or explored enough to really disprove this either.

This is an internal conflict within Fallout 2. Myron claims to have invented Jet and is somewhere around 16-20 years old. John Bishop and his wife Leslie are described as middle-aged people who would be around 40 at minimum. Well, someone once figured out that this doesn't really make sense since Leslie was apparently introduced to Jet before marrying John. It's mentioned in Fallout Bible 9.

Also Super Mutants were retconned to be immortal in Fallout 2 whereas ZAX in Fallout 1 says that their life span should only increase by 10%. Doubt you’ll ever see any Bethesda fans bring this up, though.
I don't remember this one myself but it's a good one to mention.

Also, kinda weird to not have the Enclave bother with the Master or his Super Mutant army at all in my opinion.
Of course, classic fucking management. That tribal picture fits far better than the Enclave helmet (even if the Enclave helmet is cool) and I bet it would have been easy to make portrait.

As for the tutorial… I have no words really. Just reinforces why I really do not like upper management.
Yeah, people removed from the project deciding what details the project really needs is often a mistake lmao. Especially when the team that practically had no oversight was such a hit that these same people wanted to make a sequel. I do remember recently that Tim uploaded a recent video where he and Brian Fargo argued about Fallout 1's cover not having a visible face on it though. So Tim has always had to fight over the damn cover I guess haha.

Has someone made a list of all the specific retcons/lore breaks by Fallout 3?
I'd bet a lot of money that there is a list somewhere. But I'm sure its list is pretty long considering it was Bethesda's first go into the franchise and they seemingly weren't keen on letting anything restricting whatever they wanted to do.

Retcons/lore breaks aren't the end of the world. Just sucks when you get a response from the team behind it like what Hines said about the Ghoul kid in the fridge versus what I linked in Fallout Bible #9. Avellone acknowledges it as a mistake and tries to rectify it. Pete just says he won't argue about a fun quest and from what I remember, was a little insulting about it.

So Fallout 2 definetly had retcons, but they weren't as bad as Bethesda retcons, right?
But I'm sure its list is pretty long considering it was Bethesda's first go into the franchise and they seemingly weren't keen on letting anything restricting whatever they wanted to do.
Seems like writers who don't want to be restricted by limitations always end up with bad writing, looking at you, Dave Filoni, creator of The Clone Wars 2008. I always hear this consensus, that limitations harm writing, but I think they're great and are actually essential.

Honestly I don’t think Fallout 3 had many retcons per se. Just a lot of poor writing and worldbuilding. Like, it’s not a retcon to send the Brotherhood across the country, it’s just lazy. Even saying that FEV exists outside of Mariposa and Super Mutants were being created in Vault 87 long before Richard Grey became the Master isn’t exactly a retcon, it’s just stupid.

Honestly I don’t think Fallout 3 had many retcons per se. Just a lot of poor writing and worldbuilding. Like, it’s not a retcon to send the Brotherhood across the country, it’s just lazy. Even saying that FEV exists outside of Mariposa and Super Mutants were being created in Vault 87 long before Richard Grey became the Master isn’t exactly a retcon, it’s just stupid.
I'd tend to agree with this take. I was just thinking about the existence of radscorpions in the Capital Wasteland. Not that scorpions don't exist in the East, but it's just lazy. Fallout 1/2 obviously had radscorpions because they're in a desert. Bethesda was more focused on capitalizing on recognizable Fallout assets then telling their own story. They could have exclusively used now mutated fauna like they did with mirelurks, but they couldn't help themselves. It's up to anyone's personal interpretation though if it was out of actual appreciation for aspects of the classic games or just to cash in on nostalgia.

I forgot about the biggest “fourth wall/meta/game logic” moment in the show. The fucking automated turret. It’s like a couple feet away and fires probably a hundred rounds and doesn’t hit either the dog or the scientist. Wtf? Like what the fuck is actually going on there? That has to be a game reference somehow. I know the rest of the action in this show is dumb and John woo kill bill esque but they want to have these silly action scenes and a serious story. It just doesn’t translate to live action.

I forgot about the biggest “fourth wall/meta/game logic” moment in the show. The fucking automated turret. It’s like a couple feet away and fires probably a hundred rounds and doesn’t hit either the dog or the scientist. Wtf? Like what the fuck is actually going on there? That has to be a game reference somehow. I know the rest of the action in this show is dumb and John woo kill bill esque but they want to have these silly action scenes and a serious story. It just doesn’t translate to live action.
I noticed it back in the trailer, this scene was so dumb, what even is the purpose of those turrets if they can't hit such an easy target?

I'd tend to agree with this take. I was just thinking about the existence of radscorpions in the Capital Wasteland. Not that scorpions don't exist in the East, but it's just lazy. Fallout 1/2 obviously had radscorpions because they're in a desert. Bethesda was more focused on capitalizing on recognizable Fallout assets then telling their own story. They could have exclusively used now mutated fauna like they did with mirelurks, but they couldn't help themselves. It's up to anyone's personal interpretation though if it was out of actual appreciation for aspects of the classic games or just to cash in on nostalgia.
Oh yeah, I seem to remember the character of Herbert Dashwood from Tenpenny Tower theorizing that the radscorpions may be descended from pet scorpions in the area. Which goes to show that Bethesda really tried to justify all their nonsense in Fallout 3, whereas come Fallout 4 they just gave up.

Oh yeah, I seem to remember the character of Herbert Dashwood from Tenpenny Tower theorizing that the radscorpions may be descended from pet scorpions in the area. Which goes to show that Bethesda really tried to justify all their nonsense in Fallout 3, whereas come Fallout 4 they just gave up.
Back when Bethesda still somewhat cared.

I just reached the part about the chickens. I think the show's meant to be a comedy.

Back