The first Season of the Fallout tv show is out

I don't even understand, why Fallout has such a braindead cock-sucking community? Bethesda ruined franchise, just other companies did with the likes of Star Wars, Halo, etc., and they're rightfully despised, what makes Bethesda different from them?

It’s pretty straightforward. We are the niche now. We are the Star Wars OT fans when the Prequels were coming out. We’re the Star Trek TOS/TNG fans when Discovery came out. Bethesda has overruled what we love about the series and made their new identity mainstream. So while they don’t understand the core of the IP they bought, they don’t need to. And the fans eat it up.

In each instance I've seen a post on the GQ interview with the show runners, not only here but even on r/Fallout, many of the top comments have been skeptical and disappointed to say the least with their implication next season will continue to show society in the southwest regressing, when one of the main themes of the west coast games the creators focused on and new players throughout the years have admired and sought in future games and media is the progression of a new kind of civilization and the myriad identities within, ranging from the most primitive tribes exemplified by those in Honest Hearts to military orders and nation-states obviously evidenced by the BoS and NCR. The fear of the wasteland becoming too civilized is understandable when referencing historical examples of nations that managed to rebound from destruction, especially from the 19th century onward, but mollified if you consider all international order, its supply chains, and above all, telecommunications, collapsed in 2 hours, and most ecosystems with it, and from that point compare humanity's collective effort to restore civilization to pre-war functional levels, to piecing broken glass together - even if you come close to putting all the shards back where they once belonged, the result on the surface clearly won't be the same, but moreover is structurally different and will have lost fragments too small to be seen.

Maybe they'll earnestly listen while drafting the script for season 2. I can only hope. I don't care if it turns out to be more of the same if not worse. But at this time they have the chance to make something novel for TV that will in turn shape future games. There's not much to ask. Just give me some New World Hope..

Bethesda's idea is not to focus on the emergence of new civilizations on the surface but to doggedly insist on the vaults.

It has been driving me crazy for years, since I've never approached Fallout from that angle - strike that, not a single post apocalyptic setting.

Bethesda productions are centered on the vaults and their dwellers. Narratively speaking it offers them the opportunity for those silly scenes where the protagonist is so dephased and lost in their new surroundings. Like any time capsule premise. Demolition Man did that better.

Whereas as you point out, the whole "out of the ashes comes something new" is by far the more interesting aspect. And yes, it goes back to the visual choices, where you start bleak and hopeless and then you start dealing with the resilience of mankind.
I would love to see on the screen how the Khans came to be, how the NCR started building up etc.

Funny thing is, from a "time capsule" perspective, Wool/Silo did it better. I would have hoped the adaptation of that work onto the screen would have influenced things and pushed them towards the surface, but sadly it didn't.

(I'm sure you guys talked about Silo but I'll be honest, I haven't gone and looked)

I wish they would've just made a TV show about Albert Cole's aka Vault Dwellers memoirs, but I guess they would've butchered an already finalised story by race/gender swapping characters and other stuff.

The funny thing in the second episode is that the Ghoul says six agencies put out the bounty on the scientist. So despite civilization not rebuilding, there clearly is some sort of society going on if there's bounty hunter agencies communicating with each other and the settlements, and thugs in sheriffs' uniforms cosplaying as government, and an economy based on organ trade. I mean it's more than Mad Max got, right?

I'm not defending the show, I'm just admiring the bizarre, almost cartoonish inconsistencies in its portrayals. Then again, the original Mad Max had ice cream parlors.

The funny thing in the second episode is that the Ghoul says six agencies put out the bounty on the scientist. So despite civilization not rebuilding, there clearly is some sort of society going on if there's bounty hunter agencies communicating with each other and the settlements, and thugs in sheriffs' uniforms cosplaying as government, and an economy based on organ trade. I mean it's more than Mad Max got, right?

I'm not defending the show, I'm just admiring the bizarre, almost cartoonish inconsistencies in its portrayals. Then again, the original Mad Max had ice cream parlors.

Off topic but wasn't the original Mad Max before the fall of society as it was turning to lawlessness. It's been a while since I've watched it.

Watched bits and pieces of this drivel with my buddy. Aside from the arc with Walton Goggin's ghoul character, which was semi-cool, this show is just shit for the Radroaches.

Off topic but wasn't the original Mad Max before the fall of society as it was turning to lawlessness. It's been a while since I've watched it.
If I recall, the story centers around Max, a police officer (and I think the last) dealing with a gang that's terrorized both the region and Max personally. Honestly, I've always felt a bit of a disconnect between the first movie and it's sequels; as the first didn't feel like it was set in the post apocalypse and the sequels almost felt cartoonishly so. I was a kid the first/last I'd seen it, so I'm probably way off.

Mad Max 1 was during societal collapse with the Main Force Patrol acting as the last vestige of law and order. The second movie is set after societal collapse and into the apocalypse. The third movie is set after a nuclear holocaust that occurs after the second movie.

If I recall, the story centers around Max, a police officer (and I think the last) dealing with a gang that's terrorized both the region and Max personally. Honestly, I've always felt a bit of a disconnect between the first movie and it's sequels; as the first didn't feel like it was set in the post apocalypse and the sequels almost felt cartoonishly so. I was a kid the first/last I'd seen it, so I'm probably way off.
Gotta rewatch all the movies that inspired Fallout, and compare them to the Fallout TV show.

Mad Max 1 was during societal collapse with the Main Force Patrol acting as the last vestige of law and order. The second movie is set after societal collapse and into the apocalypse. The third movie is set after a nuclear holocaust that occurs after the second movie.
That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

My recommendation: Watch Jericho.

It didn't inspire Fallout, but it's still worth watching over the show we got.
I've always meant to, but was always deterred by that mid 2000's tv show look. I'll give it a shot when I can find a way to watch it.

Also, I re-watched Mad Max today, other than the revenge aspect of the ending feeling rushed; I liked it. I misremembered a lot of it; if only because the last time I'd watched it I was 10-11 years old (I'm currently 32). Also the police "chief" (bald guy with a handle bar moustache) reminded me of Armstrong from Full Metal Alchemist. I'm curious how the second will handle how the first move ended; as the first movie didn't outright feel like the post apocalypse.

>not liking cheap looking scifi

Cringe. Plebian spotted. that's what all the best sci-fi looks like. Modern sci-fi is eye candy and nothing else
I meant more how the characters look and dress, not necessarily the content of the show.

Hey folks, just wanted to share a story from the AV Club on Fallout that I found disturbing, largely because of the low regard given Fallout 1. https://www.avclub.com/which-fallout-game-should-you-play-after-the-show-1851418327 . To me, Fallout 1 is the centerpiece of the Fallout universe and none of the sequels do it justice. I get it is an old game and the game play is ancient. So I have to admit feeling deeply disappointed that it does not get the respect it deserves.

Back