The Future

the_cpl

Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?
What do you think about the future?

All the movies showed how is the future, machines, high tech robots, everything is clean, healthy, great.

I think this pink dream is over, the future is more like the Mad Max 1-2.

The experts saying the oil and the natural gas is not forever, all of them talking about a date, 2012. From that year everything is going down. No more oil, no more natural gas. No gas for cars, no plastic. Problems with the electricity, not enough food. If no more TV, no more Internet, no more fun, no more food, the people are going to make riots. The crime is going up, and up, and up. Violance, maybe civil war between the criminals and non-criminals, and/or a revolution/uprising against the governments.

The Mad Max movies are fun, but the same in the reality. That is going to be... not fun.

Future, will most likely be advancement for few more decades, but after that its slow and steady decline. All resources will end , it is just a matter of time.

Oil, natural gas, uranium are needed to keep current level and advance.

Coal is necessary for mid/late 19th century level society.

Honestly, when we run out of IRON, no more renesaincce/medieval society.

No copper and tin, no Bronze age level of society.

We are going back to using stone spears/axes/swords and bows, with clay pottery. So back to the start of mankinds written history.
6k BC level of society.

Not mad max, more of "time machine" future.

Unless we can pull off the renewable energy trick, and 99.99% metal recycling.

Patton89 said:
Future, will most likely be advancement for few more decades, but after that its slow and steady decline. All resources will end , it is just a matter of time.

We are going back to using stone spears/axes/swords and bows, with clay pottery. So back to the start of mankinds written history.
6k BC level of society.

Shit....we gonna end up like sandpeople!

Honestly, when we run out of places to pull iron and copper out of the ground cheaply, we will simply start recycling better. When oil prices rise once again, beyond the costs for shale and tar sand extraction, those technologies will become cost competitive. Hell, we can already con algae into producing diesel now, it's just more expensive at the moment. Humanity has a long history of adapting and making due with the resources at hand. When we reached our spectrum capacity for our old cell phone systems, digital spread spectrum, time sharing, and frequency hopping became available. We adapt and overcome.

Of course, it won't make a damned bit of difference once we've reached the singularity and robots rule the world!

SSteve said:
The experts saying the oil and the natural gas is not forever, all of them talking about a date, 2012. From that year everything is going down.
All of them?

I know about the Mayan calendar. 2012 would be the end of the 4th cycle and the beginning of the 5th or something. Not the end of the world, though.

The only other mention of 2012 as a time of change that I know of, would be the Olduvai theory, where 2012 is seen as the beginning of the end of our industrial civilization (i.e. the Olduvai cliff). That would last until 2030 and be marked by brownouts -> temporary blackouts -> permanent blackouts -> electric network ceases to exist.

In any case, I do believe we're heading towards some form of societal collapse and I also believe it won't be that long before it hits us. Heh, maybe it has already started, I don't know.

So what do I think about the future? I think it's only gonna get worse than it already is. Can we prevent it from happening? Probably. Will we prevent it from happening? No.

It's all part of the great scheme of things: everything comes to an end sooner or later. Just accept it. I did. And I feel a lot better now.

sex-pistols-0001.jpg

Bal-Sagoth said:
SSteve said:
The experts saying the oil and the natural gas is not forever, all of them talking about a date, 2012.

Which experts in particular are you speaking of?

Sounds like David Icke and Alex Jones to me :p

2012? We have enough reserves to drain for long after that year.

Yes but the reserves will begin to decline whether we have reserves or not is not the point.....

coliphorbs said:
2012? We have enough reserves to drain for long after that year.

Actually: no, we don't. There are still reserves, true, but it's harder and harder to get to them. Harder means that we have to waste more energy getting to them. That means less profit, which in turn means they become more expensive. And ultimately, at a certain point we will need, let's say, one barrel of oil to extract one barrel of oil.

What you usually hear when you point this out, is this: yeah, but by then we will have discovered or invented another way to get to the reserves. And: we will have alternative energy sources by then and we will be saved.

What this 'other way of getting to the reserves' would be, nobody knows. But that it would cost fossil fuels as well is a given. Nuclear energy? Sure, why not. But do remember that you can't build a nuclear installation without fossil fuels and that for digging up uranium and so on, one needs... fossil fuels.

"No way, man, we won't need fossil fuels for that. We'll use wind and solar and whatever energy!"
Sure, why not. But for building those wind mills and solar panels, we need fossil fuels. For putting them up, we need fossil fuels. For getting people to the spot where they need to be erected, we need fossil fuels. And so on.

Alternative energy is the biggest hoax of the 21st century. The only reasons they are being introduced are:
[1] Someone is getting rich
[2] It soothes the minds of the common people

Alternative energy = the song you hum when lightning strikes and your kid is scared to death. The song won't make the lightning stop, it will only comfort the kid.

Last time I saw my sister, she said: "I'm sure those bastards already know how to make cars run on water, they're just waiting until all the oil is gone."
I kept my mouth shut, but here you have it: if a company knows how to make cars run on water and they intentionally keep quiet about it, they are the stupidest company in the history of mankind. They could make billions. In a day.
Reason why it ain't happening: we can't make cars run on water. If we did, they would be called rowing boats. And those already exist.

We are fucked. It's that simple. There is no exotic energy source left out there, waiting for us to discover it. If such an exotic energy source did exist, we'd already know. We would have already known about it years ago. If a scientific magazine tells you otherwise, you can be sure it's messing with your head and trying to make you believe the same crap people in the fifties had to read about: nuclear cars, flying cars, ... Stuff that belongs in Hollywood studios only.

The big leaders of the world know this, I'm sure. The people who pull the strings are completely aware of this. But what do you expect them to do? Tell us? 'Cause panic in the streets of London, Dublin, Paris, New York, Beijing, and so on? Create mass hysteria by telling people how things are going to work out for them?
You can't blame them for trying the good ol' way of soothing the masses by telling them lies. It's not a conspiracy, it's common sense.

Also: it's not what people want to hear. People want to hear that they'll always be able to buy that big friggin' plasma screen and their Gucci clothes. People want to hear they'll still be able to go Christmas shopping in New York and return the same day to their awesome luxury apartment in Amsterdam. People will pay a little extra for gasoline every new month of every new year, but please do not tell them that four years from now, they will have to choose between driving a car and feeding their children.

The really sad fact is that this impending tragedy could be so so easily avoided if people would just learn to make a difference between what they need and what they want. But people are stupid. And that's a fact. And no politician in the whole wide world will ever have the guts to force them to be content with what they need and forbid them to strive for what they want. 'Cause that politician would stop being a politician immediately. Democracy is a beautiful thing after all.

Meh. I stopped caring, really. After reading tons and tons of books on the subject, after thinking for months and months on the subject, I have come to the conclusion that the end of society as we know it, of our industrial civilization and of atrocities like capitalism and democracy, is the best thing that could ever happen.
I want it to happen. I want it to happen as soon as possible. And looking at my neighbours, the man in the street, the traffic jam at the train station, the airplane flying over my head, it is what everyone wants to happen. They just don't know they do.

Patton89 said:

6k BC level of society.

lol, we aren't going to run out of aluminum and iron thats for sure. they are some of the most abundant minerals on this earth. iron actually first started to be used in weapons and every day items instead of bronze because its so abundant that its practically impossible for anyone not to have acess to it. hell if i were even determined enough with magnetic energy and a sifter i could collect iron from my own backyard.

iron is so abundant that its pretty crazy to think that it will get so diminished that its not even practical to mine it up anymore, especially with modern technologies that makes profits off "dust mining". aluminum can become an issue eventually, mostly because the cost of collecting the raw material and refining it is so astronomical in terms of energy. however its so abundant that if there truely is a need then we will have some.

Alternative energy is the biggest hoax of the 21st century. The only reasons they are being introduced are:
[1] Someone is getting rich
[2] It soothes the minds of the common people

pfft. you do realize that things like nuclear power put coal and gas electric production to shame right? we've had options for 50 years or more that are far better, its just that the businesses didnt think it was cost effective at the time to convert. the only issue is that people are morons and in this country shy away from nuclear which is the 100% best option out of ANY of them for producing power, even if all our oil problems were solved atomic power would still be MUCH more cost effective, and would get better every year as all that money goes into developing new reactors instead of sticking to essentially the same concepts since the 60's.

also no plant on this earth grows as rapidly as algea. algea does the majority of the lifting in terms of producing oxygen for our world and once we really kick industrial production of that plant into high gear it can really help balence carbon levels and produce renewable fuel at a rate that NOTHING else can compete. really algea is like the atomic energy of producers of combustible fuels.

We are fucked. It's that simple. There is no exotic energy source left out there, waiting for us to discover it.

oooooooohhhhhhhhh things like running fusion generators using electro magnetic energy to keep everything around it from being fried by the heat, or controlled anti matter detonation and collection of that energy. but those things aren't really that exotic huh? btw those two examples are things scientists are exploring today.

also someone talked about iron running out, i forgot to mention this but slowly we are finding replacements. not plastics(which may just disapear to a large extent when the oil actually runs out) but things like buckypaper. a form of paper that is made out of carbon nanotubes and can be 250 times stronger then any iron product as well as being lighter by volume. imagine, a particle board like material made out of buckypaper? you could build all sorts of wonders with something like that!

ah but no, everyone sees what we currently have running low and thinks that doom is coming when they should really be seeing opertunity. we have challenge now facing us in all directions, now is the time to let human imagination free again, set flight and re define the limits of human acomplishment.

btw, if you really want to fret about some resource running out worry about fresh water. its the biggest threat to large scale civilization today and it doesnt really get much attention in western nations despite the fact that pretty much everyone is running out of it..... the us all over is running water conservation programs for example becausee we allready see ourselves running short. the worst irony is those convserving when they are so close to the ocean.... to have sooooo much water and not having a practical way of making it useful..... ive got ideas down about using atomic power generation to at the same time distill salt water into pure potable water, but yknow, just a nobody's ideas right now. maybe one day.....

Alternative energy

There are few, but if the countries don't start to build them, we run out of the time. Solar power generator, wind power generator. The coal is ok, but that help only for few more years.

I don't know about the cars. Electric cars, maybe, but where we get the energy for the cars? That is the problem. Water fueled - cars. I heard many things about that one, people says that is working. Some experts says the hydrogene can run the car, but that is too complicated to use from the H2O.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaC5idPDn48

I don't know...

Anyway, if the Americans can't drive anymore, maybe they must walk and ride bicycles. Less food and walking. Best for the health, less fat people. Maybe this is the only good side of the problem...

:roll:

btw, if you really want to fret about some resource running out worry about fresh water.

Well, not on MY front. We got the Amazonian Basin here, one of the greatest reserves of water. The rest of you, on the other hand, can just go right ahead and die, MWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

The true threat to humanity is overpopulation. It's already happening. Its where all other problems steem from. Our stupid, foolish governaments didn't do anything to stop it when they could, and now there are too many humans for this planet to sustain.

I believe that the future will be something akin to Deus Ex, except less advanced in some areas, more advanced on others and with less nuclear power.

There are few, but if the countries don't start to build them, we run out of the time. Solar power generator, wind power generator. The coal is ok, but that help only for few more years.

Solar Power has some potential, but nothing like Nuclear Power. Wind Power, on the other hand? That's a joke.

SSteve said:
Economists, real patriot politicians, etc.

Anyone in particular you are developing these views off of? I am honestly just curious.

SSteve said:
Alex Jones has the points, sometimes.

:?

Slaughter Manslaught said:
Well, not on MY front. We got the Amazonian Basin here, one of the greatest reserves of water. The rest of you, on the other hand, can just go right ahead and die, MWHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

The true threat to humanity is overpopulation...

Ah lovely, so we in the coming years we can solve two problems for my country. First we can secure your nations reserves of clean water and in doing so ethnically cleanse the entire region thus doing our part to depopulate the world.

Win win situation am I right?

Also if there is anyone here who is actually against Nuclear Power what exactly would your reasons be?

Also some people in this thread might enjoy the episode of Penn & Teller: Bullshit! called "Nukes, Hybrids and Lesbians"

"Advocates the use of nuclear power, criticizes hybrid cars and follows lesbians on a blind date."

It can be viewed on youtube in three parts.

P1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkl5fu7koGk

P2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB5ZBuJMFJg&feature=related

P3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTp14TKlLGk&feature=related

edit: The first 30 seconds of the first video is worth watching even if you do not have the time to watch the full episode. I love that show :lol:

Back