The grenade launcher is a grenade launcher

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by iii, Feb 11, 2010.

1. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    There were some questions on the weapon in this pic being a grenade launcher or not, especially after PSM3 put a minigun description next to it. J.E. Sawyer confirmed that the Big Gun is a grenade launcher:<blockquote>It's actually the grenade machine gun. Sorry for the mixup.</blockquote>And in case of any doubt, he confirmed that weapon modifying will be in the game here.

2. Grimhound

Grimhound Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 22, 2008
  3. el_jefe_of_ny

el_jefe_of_ny Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 6, 2010
    What is the comparison??

Yeah, that grenade launcher is pretty neat. An automatic one is mounted to a vehicle. You cannot carry an automatic grenade launcher. A bullet weighs a few grams. A grenade is super heavy compared. To launch it requires a lot of pop. Rifle fired uses a bullet for this. Auto's go very far and are rapid. You cant fire an auto grenade launcher from standing. It wouldnt do anything besides waste like 1000+ dollars a trigger pull.

4. iii

iii Vault Dweller

Oct 10, 2005
    Well to be fair it isn't very realistic to carry and fire a minigun as a soldier either. :mrgreen:

5. pexxx

pexxx First time out of the vault

Feb 12, 2007
    I hope it will replace fatboy.

6. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    you can't carry a minigun and shoot it from the hip but no one's had any problems with that so far.

I really don't mind this weapon, except for the fact that it doesn't look like a grenade launcher in that pic. might just be a bad pic though.

7. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    When was Fallout ever a realistic weapons simulator?

An auto-grenade launcher is no more out there than a hand held minigun, power armor, or laser rifle.

8. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    I don't like it not because it seems unrealistic for me, but it might just be ovepowered. Well, making a weapon like this that won't slaughter everything it hits save for few heavily armored enemies seems like a retarded idea. That and since it's shown so early in media, I bet it will be available early on in-game.

9. el_jefe_of_ny

el_jefe_of_ny Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 6, 2010
    Hm. Yeah a mini gun would cause one's arm to rip off.

I like the design of the auto grenade launcher. It looks home-brew. With 50 lbs of the launcher mechanism behind it, you can actually shoot this sucker straight. That's a lot of metal the dude is holding there. at least 30+ lbs would keep an auto feeding launcher doing pretty decent.

Now, the L4D2 launcher could not be fired in quick succuession, nor could it be fired accurately into a crowd. Those launchers are for lobbing with a big arc. The way it fires in L4D2 is similar to how it would fire in real life.

The barrel for the fallout grenade launcher is a bit narrow. It must be using the thin canister looking types and not the L4D2 type. This means it's a higher velocity, lower weight grenade. This would be super expensive in a world of bottlecaps :)

10. GreyViper

GreyViper Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jul 2, 2004
    Well guess that clears that up. I assumed at start, it was some energy weapon. Since Enclave wasn't around,means no advanced plasma tech. Thus the weapon in pic and why it used so many power cells. But since its a GL, gee guess it nice: But it made me wonder wasn't the future in energy weapons, since most of energy weapons could bypass armor while fragment explosives could be absorbed by PAs?

11. mocnijogurt

mocnijogurt First time out of the vault

Jul 24, 2006

minigun - cool

rocket machine gun - fail

12. SharkClub

SharkClub Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    If it does this, then it's definitely a step in the right direction.

13. Hellion

Hellion Antediluvian Lurker

Jun 20, 2003
    Wait until someone modifies this weapon and turns it into a Mini-Nuke Machine Gun :look:

14. Grimhound

Grimhound Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 22, 2008
    Hah... no it isn't. Replacing a ludicrous weapon with a ludicrous weapon isn't progress. It's just a step off to the side. I'm tempted to start investing in my own post-apocalyptic game universe for future development.

15. Professor Danger!

Professor Danger! Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 30, 2009
    They should modify a hand gun like that.

16. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I find the grenade luncher they have shown pretty ugly and generic.

I wish they would have tried at least to look for a more "realistic" design. Even when its a real weapon it looks much cooler then what they have designed.

17. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    In Fallout 1, you had a freaking Gatling Laser. Why not an automatic grenade gun?

EDIT: It does look pretty average. Kind of like a reskin of the Heavy Incinerator.

18. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    honestly I like the idea of grenade lunchers. The one shown is just pretty ugly in my eyes.

19. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    With nuclear handheld guns, nuclear exploding cars and nuclear bombs all around, i think a granade machine gun insn't that big of an issue in itself. I sure hope that it will replace the Fatman, because i just couldn't bare to look at this game if that damn weapon is still there.... This also raises the question, which probably doesn't belong here, but i'm still too curious - will the damn "old rusty car explodes in a violent nuclear mushroom cloud" effect be present in F:NW?

20. SharkClub

SharkClub Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    No, i'd still say that a Grenade Machine Gun is more believable than an Experimental MIRV. At least it isn't a nuclear weapon, even.